Women's Ashes 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

48 overs remaining in the day (minus two for the changeover once the declaration is made) at the end of the over that took Mooney's wicket with a lead of 250 for Australia.

Perry was very close to being run out on 49... the keeper just brushed the stumps with the ball in her gloves and it took a while for the bail to fall off the stumps which meant she actually made her ground... if she'd hit the stumps or bails with any more force you'd expect Perry to be back in the sheds.

Heals trotting out Channel 9's time-honoured aggressive declaration script. Obviously didn't notice how we scored at 4 an over in the second half of that session while barely getting out of 2nd gear. If they wait much longer, sure, probably too conservative.

But 40 overs should be enough time to take the wickets, unless: 1) England enjoy blocking their way to a series loss; 2) there's not enough life in the fourth day pitch; or 3) Australia bowl poorly.

with a minimum of 41 overs you'd have thought the Aussies would declare at tea so that they wouldn't lose any overs in the process, but it appears they are going to bat on... I don't get it...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit annoying to have thoroughly outplayed them in the last two tests without really getting close to a win, but never mind. Ashes retained, job done, and no doubt England would've batted on in the inverse situation.

Arguably the points system and series structure could do with a re-think. Or any other adjustment that would be more conducive to play like the first half of today, I'd be in favour of.

Bit annoying to have thoroughly outplayed them in the last two tests without really getting close to a win, but never mind. Ashes retained, job done, and no doubt England would've batted on in the inverse situation.

Arguably the points system and series structure could do with a re-think. Or any other adjustment that would be more conducive to play like the first half of today, I'd be in favour of.

First and foremost make the match 5 days not 4, this is even more critical in women’s cricket where you don’t have bowlers coming in at 150kmph. 4 days is rarely enough especially with weather coming into play.

Secondly there has to be an incentive to score quickly, so maybe a bonus point in play if you average 4.5 runs an over the whole innings or something like that.

Finally if it stays at 4 days, make the wicket tough enough so wickets come.

Terrible terrible game. Calling it "The Ashes" is disrespectful to the true contest played between Oz and the Poms. Womens cricket certainly died in this match so maybe they could burn a bra or camisole and put the ashes in a handbag. Then they could play for the Gucci Bag.

Terrible terrible game. Calling it "The Ashes" is disrespectful to the true contest played between Oz and the Poms. Womens cricket certainly died in this match so maybe they could burn a bra or camisole and put the ashes in a handbag. Then they could play for the Gucci Bag.

At least they win the Ashes in England, maybe our men side can try it, it's been a decade!

It was unlucky, if there wasn't weather on the 2nd day there would have been a result.

At least they win the Ashes in England, maybe our men side can try it, it's been a decade!

It was unlucky, if there wasn't weather on the 2nd day there would have been a result.
That's my point "The Ashes" should be a real contest. This game was played like an Exhibition game. Perry who is obviously better than average (women) would make DB 99.94 ave look pedestrian if the bowling in women's cricket is of the standard watched in this game.

That's my point "The Ashes" should be a real contest. This game was played like an Exhibition game. Perry who is obviously better than average (women) would make DB 99.94 ave look pedestrian if the bowling in women's cricket is of the standard watched in this game.

It is a real contest. England are the Wold Champions in ODI's, they had injuries and we played well in those games. Bowling standard was very good actually if you watched the whole game. Spinners did really well, and you had to bat well, which Perry did. The standard will improve more over the next 4+ years too.

First and foremost make the match 5 days not 4, this is even more critical in women’s cricket where you don’t have bowlers coming in at 150kmph. 4 days is rarely enough especially with weather coming into play.

Secondly there has to be an incentive to score quickly, so maybe a bonus point in play if you average 4.5 runs an over the whole innings or something like that.

Finally if it stays at 4 days, make the wicket tough enough so wickets come.
The pitch needs to be the primary focus imo, almost everything else takes care of itself if you get that right. Largely comes down to venue selection. Adelaide Oval has produced the best Test wickets over the last few years, why not play it there next time.

4 days should then be enough, but I wouldn't be against a reserve day in the event of rain.

Perhaps the simplest change would be to bring the Test ahead of the ODIs and T20s, can play more freely that way without the series scoreline negatively affecting tactics.

It is a real contest. England are the Wold Champions in ODI's, they had injuries and we played well in those games. Bowling standard was very good actually if you watched the whole game. Spinners did really well, and you had to bat well, which Perry did. The standard will improve more over the next 4+ years too.
I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I will check back in in 4 years to see if there have been improvements.

I think the scheduling of the women’s ashes they’ve squeezed between the men’s World Cup and men’s Tour of England.

I don’t mind it as a concept

Tried to watch some of this game but alas I find it unwatchable. Australia should have made 820 against that attack. No wonder the women do not play many Tests. There is no ( old word ) penetration in the bowling at all. Full Tosses, Half Trackers are the norm and no pressure gets built on the batters. There is no fast bowling so as a batter there is no pressure or fear factor. Dare I say it a good u/16 boys team would comfortably win. And they talk of bigger money..it is truly laughable.
They do struffle to maintain pressure, but is that a lack of ability or lack of experience in long form cricket? Two tests and maybe two tour games every four years is hardly going to be enough to develop the right habits. Especially on a largely T20 diet.
I so feel some of the batting was trying too hard to be Test-like, and a lack of awareness on when to up the rate showed through. Is four days enough? Maybe they could be scheduled over four, with a fifth available to make up any lost time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back