Women's Ashes 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't remember saying anything about Gardner being any good? I know she's just a slogger; nothing special really, but strong for a woman, I guess?

Must have been someone else, sorry for that.

She shouldn't be in the side, she's utterly overrated from one WC tournament where she slogged a few. Done nothing for 2 years. Would rather pick Sammy Jo Johnson or even Nicola carey who deserves a go.

all good, mate.

yeah, I agree with most of that. Carey is definitely a reasonable choice, but potentially isn't good enough for international level as I think there's quite a large chasm between her best and worst (from what I've seen of her in the WBBL over the last few years).

Last edited:
all good, mate.

yeah, I agree with most of that. Carey is definitely a reasonable choice, but potentially isn't good enough for international level.

Then again is Gardner International quality? Let alone a number 4?

I'm not sure Carey is either, but surely she's worth a few games at least.

Coming into the 14th over, England were three down with two set batsmen and going at 6.3 per over. Perry then runs out Knight, and Gardner gets Jones caught behind in the space of a few balls. Brunt and Winfield managed to put on another top-order-shaming stand to get them to 139, feels like the hosts missed out on a solid 160 but nevertheless they've saved their best chance of winning until the last game.

Ellyse P. aka Pezalenko aka She-th Miller, the clear player of the series, also played the best knock of the series imo with that 60* off 50 but geez the rest batted like blonks in tough chasing conditions. Schutt (8* off 2) was the only other Aussie to manage a strike rate above 100, so it closes out with a 17-run win to England.

As for the apparent widening gulf between the two teams, future thrashings may occur due to our superior domestic system and development pathways but I think applying those issues to the 12-4 scoreline here is a total cop out. If depth of talent is supposedly already such a differentiating factor, would the Australia A team have been put to the sword so convincingly in the three-day tour game? Would England be able to roll out an impressive debut from Mady Villiers if the cupboard was bare?

Sure there's at least 8 replacements ready to step up into the Green and Gold's first XI and be instant contributors, but it's a lot easier to do when your senior players are firing. That's what shaped this Ashes.

The woeful form and fitness of World Cup heroes like Knight and Shrubsole doesn't have anything to do with funding. Pretending otherwise lets professionals off the hook for lazy training habits while living off chips and beer. It also does a disservice to the names below who have done the hard yards to improve their games or overcome serious injury just in the last 12-18 months.

Leading Run Scorers
378 - EA Perry (AUS)
359 - MM Lanning (AUS)
266 - AJ Healy (AUS)
228 - BL Mooney (AUS)
208 - NR Sciver (ENG)
190 - TT Beaumont (ENG)
148 - RL Haynes (AUS)
128 - JL Jonassen (AUS)
106 - KH Brunt (ENG)

Leading Wicket Takers
15 - EA Perry (AUS)
13 - S Ecclestone (ENG)
11 - JL Jonassen (AUS)
10 - M Schutt (AUS)
8 - DM Kimmince (AUS)
8 - KH Brunt (ENG)
8 - LA Marsh (ENG)
5 - A Gardner (AUS)
5 - S Molineux (AUS)

May as well just drop this here:

Tales about early life on the mean streets of Wahroonga may or may not be brimming with scandal and adventure, I'll be giving it a read nonetheless.

--

In other news, had to chuckle during Thursday's lunch break when Uncle Ian proclaimed the women's team still needed greater contribution beyond the "Big 3"... That's like lumping Kyrgios in with Federer and Nadal!

Schutt, Jonassen, Haynes and Mooney are well ahead in terms of reliability than his supposed Número tres niece. And Molineux, having emerged as the clear next Aus captain at age 21, is already a far more valuable WBBL player than Healy too when you weigh up their allround output. Blegh.

--

Anyway, supposedly the team is heading off to the West Indies near the end of this month. No fixture information available yet, even though the tour of South Africa in March is fully scheduled.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back