Women's Big Bash League|05

Remove this Banner Ad

a single on the 2nd last ball and bye-single on the last ball brings the Thunder's super over to 1/6... you'd expect the Strikers to beat that, but you'll never know for sure until it happens.

Devine and Bates (no surprise) for the Strikers... Shabnim Ismail bowling and Devine hits the first ball for four... 2nd ball a 2... scores tied with 4 balls remaining.

and Devine gets a single on the 3rd ball and the Strikers win

Ash Gardner, well done on getting to your 50* off 37 balls. The Sixers are going well after losing a wicket on the first ball of the innings with Burns also on 23* off 20 and the score on 1/74 off 9.3 overs.

congratulations to Erin Burns on getting to 55* off 41 balls with a lovely 6. Sixers still trucking along but losing the occasional wicket at 4/137 off 17.2 overs. Hollie Armitage was also going very well for 24 off 15 but got runout from backing up too far.

they showed her hip elevation from the planted leg and also her hyperextension of her elbow as it comes through (27degrees) on the telecast; is either of those what you mean?
Possibly, I didn't see that discussion.

Dane van Niekerk got bowled on the 3rd last ball of the innings for a nice quick-fire 21 off 11.

Burns finishes on 60* off 45. An excellent innings.

The Sixers finish on 6/164 off their 20 overs.

Samantha Betts was the best of the bowlers with 2/20 off her 3 overs.

Fair shemozzle with the fielding fundamentals from the Scorchers again today. Is it funny or just sad that Lisa Keightley, coach of the worst (or maybe 2nd worst, behind the Stars) WBBL team in that department, is taking on the England job, given how far behind Australia they were during the Ashes? Pretty damning when you consider how the Strikers have improved so much under Luke Williams' short tenure.

Healy appears to be struggling without her partner in crime, a first ball duck this afternoon. Sixers may miss out on the finals if she doesn't lift (along with a few others) in the final two games against the Strikers.

Meg Lanning, not to be shown up by her sister at the Renegades, has got to 52* off 31 balls and is looking very good at 11.2 overs 0/94 with Amy Jones at the other end on 39* off 37. The Scorchers are doing this chase fairly easily at this stage.

Amy Jones getting out earlier for 41 off 42 didn't seem to even slow down the Scorchers' chase down. They're on 1/131 off 15 overs and Nat Sciver has come in and made 13* off 6 and Meg Lanning is still trucking along at 74* off 42. 34 further runs needed from the last 5 overs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

first ball hit for 4 through forward point by Sciver. Sarah Aley bowling... and the 2nd ball hit for four behind square leg with a lovely pull shot and the game is over. Well done to Nat Sciver finishing on 39* off 22 to bring the Scorchers home.

Perth win with 4 balls remaining.
Improved performances from the Sixers, but not enough to get the result.
Gardner played her best game for the season with 54 (42) and 2/33, hopefully a sign of things to come.
Meg Lanning was the difference, an amazing performance with the bat.

Sarah Aley horrendous today, even putting aside her second over conceding 16 runs. 17th over was peppered with legside freebies and the first ball of the 20th (after a loooong discussion) was just short wide junk begging to be sent to the offside boundary.

Possibly, I didn't see that discussion.
hmm, if I remember, I'll make a GIF (or screenshots) of the bit I was talking about later to see if it's relevant to your thoughts on the matter.
the first half of the GIF is marked as "Vlaeminck Action; Height Of Hips" but it turns out they didn't measure the height difference of the hip elevation, but the "white line" is the "On Brace" and the "red line" is the "On Release"

The second half of the GIF is labelled as "Vlaeminck Elbow Hyperextension" and as you can see she gets 27° of flex.

FrayedAshamedGlassfrog.gif

It was looking like a tough pitch early at ABF with quite a few half-chances particularly off Tahuhu, and Beth Mooney getting struck in the head off a Maitlan Brown bouncer. Then later in the innings when Brown returned, it all unravelled after some beamers catapulted the Heat towards a big total.

But it's all elementary, chasing 180 or 140, this Renegades team is only going to do it today with luck on their side.

It's bedlam at Albion right now, Jonassen bout to deathstare people into oblivion, should've had Wyatt stumped in the 5th over, then caught in the outfield in the 15th (Kerr did take it, but ended up on the wrong side of the rope). The Gades have mostly slashed and bashed blindly to an unloseable position, which is why Danni has now gotten out and kept things interesting.

It'll be the highest successful run chase in WBBL history if they can get 29 off the final 4 overs.

I guess Maddy Green's 20 off 22 was a somewhat detrimental knock, but who really knew, 180+ has always been a winning total until now. The Heat's 7-game winning streak ends in a fashion similar to the Ponting-era when the opposition had to play out of their minds to beat them (or like the current Aus women's team, really). Hoping they still finish on top and get home ground for finals, based on the cricket delivered by today's wicket.

Not exactly a sustainable style of victory for the Renegades, but that's how they roll. Gotta hate it, can't help but love it. Although I must say, even though the Sixers and Thunder can't both make finals, it would be better for the league if they did ahead of the Scorchers and Gades, whose teams will be ravaged before the finals weekend with departures of overseas players.

Somehow your cricket "analysis" is actually getting worse.

I rate her batting but she doesn’t spin the thing. She’s got away with a lot of rubbish this year. Teams should target her in the finals I’m sure they will as she’s the smackable bowler so to speak. It’s tough getting more than 6 an over off Sammy Jo but you can get 8 off Johannessen at least.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back