Women's Big Bash League|05

Remove this Banner Ad

I rate her batting but she doesn’t spin the thing. She’s got away with a lot of rubbish this year. Teams should target her in the finals I’m sure they will as she’s the smackable bowler so to speak. It’s tough getting more than 6 an over off Sammy Jo but you can get 8 off Johannessen at least.
Nope, if you're describing somebody like Jonassen (one of only a few Australian women to take 100 ODI wickets, so at least get her name right) as pie-throwing trash, the WBBL simply isn't for you and you should probably just * off from the thread.

The other thing about the weather is thunderstorms are forecast during the Saturday game in Sydney. If that gets washed out, the Sixers could finish no higher than 4th even if other results are completely favourable for them. With Perry likely to be back, that is a really unfortunate semifinal proposition for the team that finishes 1st even though, sure, the Heat have had the wood over them recently.

Not sure if this is the best place to talk about it, but did anyone watch the first part of the documentary "Beyond The Boundary" last night? It's about the Australian Woman's Teams successful Ashes campaign in England earlier this year, where they totally blew the Poms away, who went into the series on a 14 game winning streak.
The first episode focussed primarily on Perry, Lanning and Healy because they are the three that dominated the early stages of the series, but there were some interviews with Kimmince, Jonasson, Villani and Bolton. The youngsters haven't had much of a run yet, but I'm expecting them to get a turn in the next episode which is about the Test Match.

Not sure if this is the best place to talk about it, but did anyone watch the first part of the documentary "Beyond The Boundary" last night? It's about the Australian Woman's Teams successful Ashes campaign in England earlier this year, where they totally blew the Poms away, who went into the series on a 14 game winning streak.
The first episode focussed primarily on Perry, Lanning and Healy because they are the three that dominated the early stages of the series, but there were some interviews with Kimmince, Jonasson, Villani and Bolton. The youngsters haven't had much of a run yet, but I'm expecting them to get a turn in the next episode which is about the Test Match.
Felt to me like Villani and Bolton were focused on as much, if not more, than anybody else. But poor Gideon Haigh didn't get much airtime, just one brief snippet (which is still pretty good for somebody who doesn't watch women's cricket) to tell us it used to be about playing for the love of the game--airing days after his review of Perry's book was published, which began with what I consider to be a total misunderstanding of her game.

Given the title, it spent a little long on match highlights (though not as bad as Angela Pippos' AFLW documentary from a few years ago), but I get the concept of catering to an audience that may not entirely be across certain details of the series. If it was up to me, it'd just be 2 hours of the casual dressing room and viewing balcony stuff, no better way to find out about what makes a cricketer tick:

4/162 isn't a bad result considering how many quick wickets the Stars lost earlier. Lizelle Lee was brilliant with her 70 off 44 and Villani was a great foil to Lee with 45 off 39. Osborne and Faltum did pretty well to rescue the latter part of the innings with 22* off 91 and 16* off 12, respectively.

Maitlan Brown and Molly Strano both bowled well to get 2/24 and 2/29, respectively.

The Renegades should be able to chase this, though.

One more wicket, especially if it’s Duffin and the Stars will win this. Not sure about their bowling depth but they are bowling exceptionally well at the moment.

Turns out that wicket of Beaumont hasn't really cost too much as Courtney Webb has come in and batted well to get to 14* off 14.
A missed stumping for Duffin on 37* off 37 may prove extremely costly for the Stars...

nice catch from Villani to get Webb out for 30 off 27... Duffin is in there on 65* off 52 and is bringing this home... a further 28 needed from 17 balls with Wareham coming to the crease...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

a 1 on the first ball of the last over (bowled by Flintoff) gets Wareham off strike and Duffin hits a boundary off hte 2nd ball (just barely over the infield) to leave just 3 off 4.

Renegades win with a ball to go.

Despite giving up 8 runs in the final over Flintoff looks like a good bowler, she was difficult to get away all game, even Duffin struggled in her early overs.

and the Renegades played another beautiful chase and won with 1 ball to spare and 6 wickets in hand. Duffin absolutely excellent with 76* off 57 and Wareham was very good late with 17* off 11.

Annabel Sutherland bowled quite well at 0/21 off her 4.
Erin Osborne got a couple of wickets at 2/36 off her 4.
Tess Flintoff was the deserving last-over bowler as she only went for 23 runs and 1 wicket in 3.5 overs.

Last edited:
The Strikers just demolished the Sixers and kept them to 9/93 in their 20 overs. Kapp and Van Niekerk with 20 off 20 and 19 off 25 respectively did OK, but the rest were nothing to write home about. An abysmal batting performance as a team.

Schutt was excellent with 2/12 off her 4.
Coyte was similarly excellent, but better again with 3/9 off her 4.
McGrath bowled well to get figures of 2/19 off her 4.
1/6 for Bates off her 1 over was a good foil.

The Strikers will chase this in 12 overs, I estimate.

Feeling a little more interested in the prospect of another Renegades finals appearance with the news that at least one of the English leavers (Beaumont) will be replaced by Chamari Atapattu, effective immediately. If the older girls (Tahuhu, Duffin, Molly) keep doing their thing, they ain't a team to fool with. Still, I miss SMoli...

The Sixers' era of dominance could end tomorrow in the same way it started off in WBBL|01, with 6 straight losses. Would the band break up afterwards? Perry has always been more attached to the Magenta than the Sky Blue purely by virtue of captaincy, but maybe this last month has shown her that a move to the Stars wouldn't be so daunting.

Last edited:
so I had to leave earlier about halfway through the Strikers chase and I've only just finished watching that match and they chased it in 15.1 overs (29 balls to spare) with the loss of only 2 wickets. Sophie Devine was great with 46* off 43 and Tahlia McGrath batted well for 30 off 35 and Bridget Patterson was OK with 11* off 10 at the end.

Marizanne Kapp was quite good with 1/8 off her 3 overs.
Hayley Silver-Holmes was pretty good with 1/9 off 2.1 overs, but the rest were not much to write home about.

I've just finished watching the Hurricanes v Scorchers game from last night... impressive performance from the Hurricanes bowlers and fielders early on to keep the Scorchers to a modest total of 10/107. Vakarewa was brilliantly controlled for 1/17 off her 4. Vlaeminck was great for 2/19 off her 4, Nicola Carey was pretty good for 2/29 off her 4 and Maisy Gibson was excellent with 2/20 off her 4. None of the Scorchers batters really got going.

I would have expected the Hurricanes to chase this easily in about 15 overs (conservatively) but the Scorchers got two quick wickets early and a wicket a few overs later to slow things down on occasion... but Fazackerley was just brilliant with 58 off 48 to bring the Hurricanes to only need 13 more when she went out. Corinne Hall was good support for Fazackerly through the midd with 18* off 23 and Tryon came in and smacked a couple of 4's and a 6 to finish it to get herself to 14* off 5 deliveries and the total is chased with 4/112 with 25 deliveries to spare. Kim Garth was good with the ball with 1/14 off 2 overs, Sam Betts with 1/19 off 2 was reasonable. Peschel got the two early wickets at 2/33 off her 3.5 overs.

Last edited:
Can one player really make a big difference to a teams performance?

We are seeing it with Perry missing from the Sixers and I think Duffin is every bit as important to the Renegades. Her form this season has been amazing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back