Women's cricket in 2021 (now playing: Zim v Ire)

Remove this Banner Ad

364 days later, India were unsurprisingly rusty in a heavy 8-wicket loss to South Africa. One thing I am surprised about, though, was the exclusion of Shikha Pandey from the squad--their only experienced pace bowler who isn't like a bajillion years old.

A third women's global tournament, the Women's T20 Champion Cup - on paper resembling the men's Champions Trophy - has been added to the next cycle, which runs from 2023 to 2031. The Women's T20 Champion Cup is set to take place in 2027 and 2031, with six teams playing 16 matches.
Truly stupid. There's already a third tournament in place, it's called the Commonwealth Games. This will just clog up the calendar space that could be used for much-needed longer/more frequent bi-lateral ODI series between top teams like Australia and those mid-range teams like South Africa or the West Indies. One-off T20 matches are no substitute.

Contrary to what the article says, I don't think there is much of a case for it to not be Belinda Clark, given it's going to be at the SCG. But let the first not be the last, because I know I've got some good ideas for the Junction and North Sydney ovals which weren't hard to come up with.

With the news of Pezalenko rising from the Ashes, below is a look at how the squads are shaping up for the Hundred.

Given that Charlotte Edwards is coaching the Brave, I'd expect her SA/Strikers connection to result in Shoota or T-Mac filling out that third overseas spot (plausibly, but less confidently for a variety of reasons, applies to Wolvaardt or Suzie Bates by the same logic). In addition to those prospects, Ismail and Wareham would be the clear whiffs if no team manages to sign them.

Birmingham Phoenix (complete)
Ashleigh Gardner, Ellyse Perry, Sophie Devine (captain), Amy Jones, Georgia Elwiss, Issy Wong, Kirstie Gordon, Ria Fackrell, Marie Kelly, Evelyn Jones, Emily Arlott, Phoebe Franklin, Abtaha Maqsood, Thea Brookes, Gwen Davies; Head coach: Ben Sawyer

London Spirit
Deandra Dottin, Chloe Tryon, Heather Knight (captain), Tammy Beaumont, Freya Davies, Naomi Dattani, Amara Carr, Aylish Cranstone, Danielle Gibson, Susie Rowe, Charlie Dean, Hannah Jones, Sophie Munro; Head coach: Trevor Griffin

Manchester Originals
Mignon du Preez, Lizelle Lee, Sophie Ecclestone, Kate Cross, Danielle Collins, Alice Dyson, Cordelia Griffith, Hannah Jones, Georgie Boyce, Natalie Brown, Alex Hartley, Emma Lamb, Ellie Threlkeld; Head coach: Paul Shaw

Northern Superchargers
Nicola Carey
, Alyssa Healy, Lauren Winfield-Hill (captain), Linsey Smith, Hollie Armitage, Alice Davidson-Richards, Katie Levick, Helen Fenby, Bess Heath; Head coach: Danielle Hazell

Oval Invincibles
Rachael Haynes
, Marizanne Kapp, Dane van Niekerk, Fran Wilson, Mady Villiers, Tash Farrant, Georgia Adams, Megan Belt, Eva Gray, Rhianna Southby, Sarah Bryce, Alice Capsey, Jo Gardner; Head coach: Jonathan Batty

Southern Brave
Amelia Kerr, Stafanie Taylor, Anya Shrubsole, Danni Wyatt, Sophia Dunkley, Maia Bouchier, Freya Kemp, Tara Norris, Carla Rudd, Paige Scholfield, Lauren Bell, Sonia Odedra, Fi Morris; Head coach: Charlotte Edwards

Trent Rockets
Sophie Molineux
, Annabel Sutherland, Elyse Villani, Katherine Brunt, Nat Sciver, Sarah Glenn, Kathryn Bryce, Abbey Freeborn, Lucy Higham; Head coach: Salliann Briggs

Welsh Fire
Meg Lanning
, Beth Mooney, Jess Jonassen, Bryony Smith, Katie George, Alex Griffiths, Georgia Hennessy, Lauren Filer, Sophie Luff, Natasha Wraith, Amy Gordon; Head coach: Matthew Mott

Note the absence of names in light blue, with four spots in total left for overseas signings. The ECB are "hopeful" that they will be joined by a handful of Indian players. This is why the BCCI (who are deliberately dragging their feet and will undermine the competition if the opportunity presents itself, just as they have done repeatedly with the WBBL) really suck.

Even if they want to lie by saying there's no demand for a female IPL, at least have the decency to fully support other countries who can be bothered with their own franchise league. You would have to be a stupid mother*er to not see the glaring hypocrisy of India's attitude to women's cricket at this point. Pretending the hypocrisy doesn't exist, on the other hand, well that's something more sinister.

Fox Cricket from 5pm AEDT for the first T20I of Australia's NZ tour. Or Kayo, if that's more your style.

Looks like it'll be a full game today, should be alright on Tuesday too, but Thursday's weather for Auckland is looking pretty dodgy.

Australia are holding NZ well at the moment, 2/53 after 10. The commentary from the Kiwis is incredibly one sided and generally pretty stupid. One commentary said Vlaemick's second delivery was lucky not to be called wide, yet it was well inside the black line and Devine stepping back made it look wide. On another occasion Carey followed Satterthwaite as she stepped back to make room, yet the commentator said if she stood her ground it would have been called a wide.

Healy just dropped a sitter.

The Kiwis made 6/130 from their 20 overs, only Satterthwaite really contributed with the bat scoring 40 from 31. JJ was best of the bowlers with 3/26.

This game is being played after the mens NZ/Bangladesh game and the officials didn't bring in the boundary and it has caught a number of players out with about 4 or 5 being caught on the boundary. Normally these would have been a six in the womens game but the extra 5-10 metres is making a difference.

Lanning just got caught on the boundary. It's now up to Gardner and Perry to bring it home.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brilliant innings from Gardner has got Australia home comfortably with 2 overs to go, her 73 from 48 balls was sublime, she built her innings through the first 30 deliveries working the ones and two before taking the game away with intelligence and power. Other than being dropped on 30, she never looked in trouble and with Healy, Mooney and Haynes all getting out for under 4 she came in at a tough time and made it look easy.

Perry provided great support to Gardner scoring 23 from 16 balls.

Mooney has managed one T20I golden duck before, in the final of the 2018 India tri-series against England. In that instance, it was Lanning who was most of all unperturbed and went on to play the big match-winning knock.

Is that confirmed about the boundaries, or just commentary speculation (I'll be catching up on the game later)? Seddon Park is a small ground, 135m fence-to-fence at its widest point. If they're using the centre wicket then the square boundaries wouldn't look longer than the standard 60m to the naked eye, I'd have thought.

The boundary ropes were only 4-5 metres in from the fence, so it looked like the same distance as the men’s game, also the commentators were confident they weren’t bought in. One of Gardner’s sixes just made in over by centimetres and was measured at 63m, which I’m pretty sure is 5-10 metres larger than what we normally see in Australia. Also the number of twos run by the Aussies seemed higher than normal, in some instances they only hit them a few metres from the fielder on the boundary and comfortably ran two.

The boundary ropes were only 4-5 metres in from the fence, so it looked like the same distance as the men’s game, also the commentators were confident they weren’t bought in. One of Gardner’s sixes just made in over by centimetres and was measured at 63m, which I’m pretty sure is 5-10 metres larger than what we normally see in Australia. Also the number of twos run by the Aussies seemed higher than normal, in some instances they only hit them a few metres from the fielder on the boundary and comfortably ran two.
60m from the middle of the pitch is standard for women's internationals, it's only ever shorter than that when the constraints of the venue demand it.

If the 63m six from Gardner was the one that went over square leg then the boundaries would've been a fraction too long, but if it was one of the sixes that went over mid-wicket then the rope was probably placed correctly.

I was looking for the playing conditions for women's T20 cricket and came across this, as small as yesterday's stadium was, the boundary seemed a few metres larger than the maximums listed below.

If the boundaries were around the 60-63 metres then I hope the ICC have look at extending the maximum allowable in the women's game because I thought the game was of a good quality and boundary did test a number of players. And the game was better for it.
1616976968072.png

Satterthwaite hit a six through square leg that cleared the fence and it was measured at 65m, and Gardner's 63m measurement was in fact one of the mid-wicket sixes, so I don't think there was any violation of the regulations.

Plenty of the Tier 2 venues in Australia are smaller (and nowhere near as round-shaped) though, so if that's the reference point then it would be fair to say yesterday's ground was bigger than usual.

Devine is out for NZ and I think Newton is coming in, while Darcie Brown will make her debut for Australia, Vlaemick is being rested.

NZ won the toss and will bowl.

Satterthwaite hit a six through square leg that cleared the fence and it was measured at 65m, and Gardner's 63m measurement was in fact one of the mid-wicket sixes, so I don't think there was any violation of the regulations.

Plenty of the Tier 2 venues in Australia are smaller (and nowhere near as round-shaped) though, so if that's the reference point then it would be fair to say yesterday's ground was bigger than usual.
If that's the case, then it explains NZ's score in the men's game.

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
Surely Brooke Halliday gets to bat a bit higher for NZ today given Devine's absence and her runs in the England ODIs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back