Women's Football Vision 2021-2030

Remove this Banner Ad

NAB AFLW players will become the best paid sportswomen in an Australian domestic competition and at least half of the AFLW senior coaches will be women by 2030, according to the AFL's newly released Women's Football Vision.

Other "aspirational targets" of the Vision include:
- Equal participation and representation in community footy by 2030
- Strong and visible pathways for administrators to ensure women are positioned for senior football roles
- The most engaged audience across any women's sporting competition in Australia
- Attract and retain corporate partners who share in the Women's Football Vision

The Vision does not lay out the progression of the lengthening of the AFLW season, nor indicate when footballers will become full-time.

Full document

Not sure how viable the 50:50 participation number is in reality, latest article I could find on AusKick with gender numbers was 2016 and has girls at around 27% which would be a reasonable predictor of future participation in my guess.

Women's football explosion results in record participation (afl.com.au)

Otherwise, I think the others are very achievable outcomes; with the current older group of AFLW players finishing up, some should take a coaching pathway and hopefully result in some high quality coaches that happen to be female.

Regarding the "AFLW players are the highest paid sportswomen for a domestic competition in the country" target, the minimum salary for AFLW at the moment is $20,239.

That means footy would have to double its TPP just to catch up with where the front-runners are currently at...
From the 2022 season, the minimum salary will grow by 17 per cent, up to $43,000 from $36,667.

Domestic cricket is also around that mark, though that covers involvement in both T20 and 50-over leagues.

There's really no wiggle room in the wording of the target, so you could also look at average or maximum but I think minimum is the key. However, from the womens.afl article:
Livingstone said the current four-tier payment structure may change with the new CBA, set to be created at the end of 2022.

"Average pay would be where we start, in terms of this nine-year period that we're looking at. It's important to note as well we have 420* players contracted to AFLW clubs, we are the single biggest employers of female athletes, and with four new clubs, that's set to rise to 540.
*article says 480 by mistake

Remove this Banner Ad

Back