News Women's Jumpers for 2017 – confirmed jumpers in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other than the side panel from hell... is it really that different?
One thing can can change a lot. On a similar level, essendon's clash, which is fair to say a popular design, is simply a red version of the grey piece of s**t. Probably is a bit more visually different, but technically speaking a minor change.

I think also a lot of people are just thinking 'why make it different at all'. It comes off very un-PC, and simply from a branding perspective, wouldn't you rather (especially Collingwood) have the same design across all teams.

Collingwood's women's guernseys should be this:
Home:
Collingwood-Clash-2016.gif

Away:
Collingwood-Away-2002.gif

It doesn't need an AFL logo because everyone knows it's an AFL jumper but it needs 2 Collingwood logos...
Use of the magpie seems an attempt to increase brand recognition of the club. Also if the AFL logo moves to the back, we don't need AFL logos in the numbers.

Put the AFL and CGU logos back where they belong. We don't need to massively change the guernseys just because it's a different gender.

She understands this is a part of the AFL right?

And could this be a hint towards a new collar for next year?
I'd say it's a smaller and tighter collar to fit the female body/preferences. This would make sure the collar doesn't droop and like smaller arm holes it would limit exposing bras etc.

Now, back on topic of the jumpers... I get the commercial reasons for wanting to plaster huge sponsors all over the jumper, but I really hope it doesn't go down that path.

Ideally, I'd just like to see jumpers the same as the mens team (maybe with different sponsors), just cut to fit the female body shape better. No sleeves would also be my preference.

I also hope the clubs get their way and their own apparel sponsors can make their gear. Apparently a couple of companies (I've heard Lorna Jane was one) want to get the contract for the whole league.

Basically, I think this league would be most successful if it looks just like a womens version of the AFL, rather than its own, completely independent league. There has been talks of mass rule changes for the womens league as well, which I don't like. Essentially this is supposed to be a way of saying to women "you too can play AFL just like the blokes", but if the overall look is completely different, then I don't think it achieves that at all.

Thats just my take.
Cotton On is another, interestingly the proposed Collingwood jumper doesn't feature Star Athletic logos.

How?
The AFL told clubs they needed to show why that club thought they deserved a womens side. They had to show that they had support, change rooms, training facilities, and an organisation for the women to utilise.

So far Melbourne, Footscray (hope they call them that), Sydney and Brisbane have. They were supposed to release who else has met the criteria soonish.

I would be looking at >
Melbourne, Brisbane, Sydney, WCE, Adelaide - all because they are the central side in every state that has a AFL side and were the first club in that state.
Bulldogs for the west of Melbourne.
North Melbourne, slthough not North truly it is still North.
St Kilda due to their southern link.
Hawthorn, due to their link with the EFL and it's eastern zone.

If it wasn't just for AFL sides and they could link up similar to what the VFL had i'd go with.

Tassie - North or Hawks
Canberra - GWS
NT - Collingwood - Essendon etc.
Cairns - Suns
Perth - Freo and WCE
SA - Port and Crows
East Melbourne - Melbourne
West Melbourne - Bulldogs
Adelaide's bid was a joint one with AFLNT and they will play home games in Darwin and Adelaide.

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2016-04-29/womens-bid-lodged-with-afl

I'd say it's a smaller and tighter collar to fit the female body/preferences. This would make sure the collar doesn't droop and like smaller arm holes it would limit exposing bras etc.
I agree with the cuffs, heck I even mentioned them in this thread. But look at the shape of the collar. It's completely different to what Star have this year. If anything, it looks like an old Adidas collar. So that gives us two options. Either Star designed this and it's a new collar on their template next year, or it's a placeholder on the template just to show off the design.

How?
The AFL told clubs they needed to show why that club thought they deserved a womens side. They had to show that they had support, change rooms, training facilities, and an organisation for the women to utilise.

So far Melbourne, Footscray (hope they call them that), Sydney and Brisbane have. They were supposed to release who else has met the criteria soonish.

I would be looking at >
Melbourne, Brisbane, Sydney, WCE, Adelaide - all because they are the central side in every state that has a AFL side and were the first club in that state.
Bulldogs for the west of Melbourne.
North Melbourne, slthough not North truly it is still North.
St Kilda due to their southern link.
Hawthorn, due to their link with the EFL and it's eastern zone.

If it wasn't just for AFL sides and they could link up similar to what the VFL had i'd go with.

Tassie - North or Hawks
Canberra - GWS
NT - Collingwood - Essendon etc.
Cairns - Suns
Perth - Freo and WCE
SA - Port and Crows
East Melbourne - Melbourne
West Melbourne - Bulldogs
Hawthorn have already said they aren't interested in a woman's team yet

Thank God!

So assuming they stick with the model of 4x Vic and 1x each SA/WA/QLD/NSW, that means Adelaide, GWS and Brisbane will get their sides. West Coast and Freo are battling for the WA side

From WCE twitter, they believe that 2 WAs teams is a real possibility due to the talent available in WA. And both clubs will have put forward very professional proposals.

I wouldn't be surprised if they end up expanding the initial league to 10 teams - 5 Vic, 2 WA, 1 SA/NT, 1 QLD, 1 NSW
But I've got nothing official to base that on other than who has put forward proposals and the strength of the WA teams.

From WCE twitter, they believe that 2 WAs teams is a real possibility due to the talent available in WA. And both clubs will have put forward very professional proposals.

I wouldn't be surprised if they end up expanding the initial league to 10 teams - 5 Vic, 2 WA, 1 SA/NT, 1 QLD, 1 NSW
But I've got nothing official to base that on other than who has put forward proposals and the strength of the WA teams.

More likely they'll shaft Brisbane to fit in the extra WA side. Earlier reports seemed to suggest six teams would be best given the talent available, but the AFL wanted more, so eight it will be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That pink chevron genuinely makes me angry. Its such a token thing. "Well this is the womens team so we better chuck some pink on there". NO! Juts use the same damn jumper. Be inclusive, and show that the female team is all part of the same club.
Completely agree, pink has nothing to do with any team in the AFL. It's being used to say hey look we have a women's team in a women's league shouldn't we all be happy. I think it's condescending.

But if they change the jumper, even a little, there's more jumpers for them to sell.
Not agreeing, however, just from a business point of view.
Should go down the proposed Collingwood route then, use traditional colours but slightly alter the design to give it it's own redeeming features.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back