Women's Internationals: Australia v New Zealand - Sep/Oct 2020

Predict a result across the Twenty20 and One Day serieses

• NZ enz the hosts' beautiful reign of terror, sex-zep

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Hope Gardner goes on a bit of a tear in the last 6 overs and finishes with a nice 40/50no. Her average of 21 doesn't befit a player of her talents.

Three little cameos in the final 10 overs, Gardner (34 from 20), Mooney (29no from 19) and McGrath (29no from 11) lift Australia to a record score against the Kiwis of 5/325.

Even without Lanning and Perry, their two superstars, this is a powerful team with amazing depth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

England lost by 194 runs on their own turf to us last year, so a 232-run loss away for New Zealand isn't that bad...

But in all seriousness, no way to sugarcoat a performance like that today. Not after copping a 3-0 loss (which included two whoppings) at home to South Africa last summer. Certainly fitness and fielding flaws tend to be exposed more in the 50 over game, but repeatedly making the same poor tactical and selection decisions has really killed them.

---

Molineux, McGrath and Carey is basically a dead heat in the batting stakes at the moment, nearly identical stats in the WNCL and WBBL etc. Main difference is Molineux is 3-5 years younger. Given that they've all been put in ahead of Jonassen, who is proven to be far more capable with the bat, I daresay a youth promotion philosophy has been the biggest factor in deciding the order (further supported by Sutherland at 3 today).

Anybody's guess as to what the team's schedule will look like after the Bash. But as a starting point, here is the last time the core nations toured here for a bi-lateral series, and my thoughts on when we'll meet them again.

New Zealand - Sep/Oct 2020
Starting to sound like England might tour NZ in Feb next year instead of us.

England - Oct/Nov 2017
Also played in the tri-series here earlier this year. We're due to host the Ashes next season, so no chance that they'll come this summer.

South Africa - Nov 2016
This would be my preferred next guest, but not likely. We beat them 4-0 (plus a tie) in that ODI series, but it was competitive and thankfully the last time a home series got the livestream treatment. A lot would have to change for the RSA government to even allow this though, and we're the ones who actually owe them a visit anyway.

India - Jan/Feb 2016
Guaranteed to drop by before the summer is through... if the BCCI can be bothered. Should also be playing a Test against them, but that's a whole other futile battle to worry about.

West Indies - Oct/Nov 2014
Definitely the most glaring drought, although we did tour the Caribbean in Sep 2019 as well as playing a World T20 there in Oct 2018 so an imminent meeting isn't high priority. Not an appetising match-up either, especially coming off this predictable result against NZ.

Sri Lanka - Sep/Oct 2019 and Pakistan - Aug/Sep 2014
Not expecting to see them return until the next WC cycle.

Does anyone know what this is all about? All time record partnership
Commonwealth Bank sponsorship would be my guess.

Somebody should hurry up and fix whatever is supposed to be wrong with that hill (or embankment, as it were). It just sounds like they need a better fence, how hard is that to manage, idk.

Anybody's guess as to what the team's schedule will look like after the Bash. But as a starting point, here is the last time the core nations toured here for a bi-lateral series, and my thoughts on when we'll meet them again.

New Zealand - Sep/Oct 2020
Starting to sound like England might tour NZ in Feb next year instead of us.

England - Oct/Nov 2017
Also played in the tri-series here earlier this year. We're due to host the Ashes next season, so no chance that they'll come this summer.

South Africa - Nov 2016
This would be my preferred next guest, but not likely. We beat them 4-0 (plus a tie) in that ODI series, but it was competitive and thankfully the last time a home series got the livestream treatment. A lot would have to change for the RSA government to even allow this though, and we're the ones who actually owe them a visit anyway.

India - Jan/Feb 2016
Guaranteed to drop by before the summer is through... if the BCCI can be bothered. Should also be playing a Test against them, but that's a whole other futile battle to worry about.

West Indies - Oct/Nov 2014
Definitely the most glaring drought, although we did tour the Caribbean in Sep 2019 as well as playing a World T20 there in Oct 2018 so an imminent meeting isn't high priority. Not an appetising match-up either, especially coming off this predictable result against NZ.

Sri Lanka - Sep/Oct 2019 and Pakistan - Aug/Sep 2014
Not expecting to see them return until the next WC cycle.

Commonwealth Bank sponsorship would be my guess.

Somebody should hurry up and fix whatever is supposed to be wrong with that hill (or embankment, as it were). It just sounds like they need a better fence, how hard is that to manage, idk.
wait are the ashes next season? meaning 2020-21 for mens and womens??

Nothing wrong with it, except for the snakes that have apparently decided to call it home. It will be fixed when the Planned Upgrades are completed. Who knows when that will be, I was under the impression that they were planned to begin over the off season. Hopefully over the next year or 2.

Last edited:
toml you've only intrigued me more by deleting your post. I always thought it was merely an urban legend about what lurks beneath, not sure I want to know the truth.

Yes, they've only been out of sync once in the last ~25 years. Won't overlap on the calendar though, which is a more recent initiative.

toml you've only intrigued me more by deleting your post. I always thought it was merely an urban legend about what lurks beneath, not sure I want to know the truth.

Yes, they've only been out of sync once in the last ~25 years. Won't overlap on the calendar though, which is a more recent initiative.
It definitely creeped up on me! Will be interesting to see. They might push it to a Jan-Feb series due to WBBL

Haha sorry, accidentally deleted my post when I tried to edit it and was too lazy to type it out again. But yes, by all reports there have been a number of resident carpet pythons that have made themselves at home between the fence and the hill over the years. Mel Jones has mentioned them a few times during the WBBL coverage over the last few years.

Haha sorry, accidentally deleted my post when I tried to edit it and was too lazy to type it out again. But yes, by all reports there have been a number of resident carpet pythons that have made themselves at home between the fence and the hill over the years. Mel Jones has mentioned them a few times during the WBBL coverage over the last few years.
I have undeleted it for you so generations to come can appreciate it's greatness :)

...little bit terrifying (to me, at least).

It definitely creeped up on me! Will be interesting to see. They might push it to a Jan-Feb series due to WBBL
The World Cup will theoretically be held in Feb 2022, so most of January would probably be reserved for warm-up games over in NZ. Shouldn't be too much of an issue to have the women's Ashes in this Sep-Oct window, followed by WBBL|07 from late Oct to early Dec.

They made mention in the telecast yesterday that in 2022 there will be a T20 World Cup. ODI World Cup, Comm Games and the Ashes. I think the Ashes tournament will be held in Australia in late 2021, early 2022.

Back