Game Day Women's Practice Match: Pies v Dogs - Australia Day 6.30pm

We have 4 more on the bench than the dogs and seem to be playing girls for a quarter here and there and swapping positions.

Dogs had the run of that quarter again.

Yep. Amuter yet again at Holden Center with no Bloody Scoreboard

The coaches probably want their players to concentrate on what they're meant to be doing, rather than on the scoreboard or who is winning and losing.

3rd Qtr Huddle

e08a3cc3d84415555e39b559455fbb25.jpg

6164d8e5a2ce9265ca7b6afa06d2cc25.jpg

The Collingwood Magpies women's team will be taking on the Western Bulldogs in a practice match, Thursday, 26th January from 6.30pm.

Match will be at the Olympic Park Oval (Holden Centre) and ENTRY IS FREE.

It's standing room only, but you're allowed to bring your own chairs along, since it's a gate free venue.

For those who can't make, there will be a radio stream from 6pm (AEDT) via the below link, and if you're going to the game, bring your radio and you can hear the call delay free at the ground on 89.1 FM.
Radio stream: http://stereo.wavestreamer.com:3911/LIVE

I've also attached to this post a pdf file with the jumper numbers for all the players, so you know who is who, if you're heading to the game.

Thanks to you and the GPF team for today's call, awesome job :thumbsu:

I was at the game for two quarters, and a little into the third quarter, before leaving. Some observations:
  • The big screen was advertising the Australian Open, but not being used for scores. I know its a minor thing, but why do that? Some scores would help.
  • A very different crowd in attendance. A lot of women, not surprisingly, and many girls who were vocal in their support. I overheard a few say they had not picked a team to follow as yet. On the east side of the ground, they easily outnumbered the men.
  • The game was sluggish and slow at first, but picked up later in the first quarter and after that there were some good quick plays. The Dogs were on top pretty much throughout. Some of the marks and tackling were excellent. Handballs and kicking under pressure not so good.
  • In the second quarter, near our goal square, there was some 'biffo' between one of our forwards and a Doggies defender. I didnt see who was involved, but the unsettling tactic worked. I couldnt see this clearly, but we ended up with a free kick and a goal. Smartarse husband said 'typical Collingwood, start a fight when you're losing and con the umpire into a soft free'.:D
  • Players who stood out for me included Alicia Eva, Sarah D'Arcy, Emma King and Steph Chiocci.

Why only 10 Minutes?

On the GPF radio call they said that the players looked stuffed, and speculated that the coaches thought that there was no point playing out the full game. There was even a suggestion that they might not even bother with the final quarter.

Maybe it was a compromise? One team wanted to play a final quarter, one didn't, 10 minutes might have been a compromise?

It's a practice game ... basically a training session ... the two coaches can do what they like (e.g.: not show a scoreboard)

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2007
Gladstone Qld
AFL Club
Collingwood
I was at the game for two quarters, and a little into the third quarter, before leaving. Some observations:
  • The big screen was advertising the Australian Open, but not being used for scores. I know its a minor thing, but why do that? Some scores would help.
  • A very different crowd in attendance. A lot of women, not surprisingly, and many girls who were vocal in their support. I overheard a few say they had not picked a team to follow as yet. On the east side of the ground, they easily outnumbered the men.
  • The game was sluggish and slow at first, but picked up later in the first quarter and after that there were some good quick plays. The Dogs were on top pretty much throughout. Some of the marks and tackling were excellent. Handballs and kicking under pressure not so good.
  • In the second quarter, near our goal square, there was some 'biffo' between one of our forwards and a Doggies defender. I didnt see who was involved, but the unsettling tactic worked. I couldnt see this clearly, but we ended up with a free kick and a goal. Smartarse husband said 'typical Collingwood, start a fight when you're losing and con the umpire into a soft free'.:D
  • Players who stood out for me included Alicia Eva, Sarah D'Arcy, Emma King and Steph Chiocci.

So the fiddy I put on the girls to win the flag is looking good VP

So the fiddy I put on the girls to win the flag is looking good VP

I wouldnt go that far! Its really hard to judge. Against what team do we judge ourselves?

The standard was nothing like the televised game of late last year, but that had the best of the best playing in it. Tonight's game had some terrific players, but a lot who were less skilled. The Dogs looked better than us, but it was a practice match, and we ran a very big bench. One thing for sure, the girls dont hold back. They go in hard when they have to.

Sep 27, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SAS, SSC Napoli, ΠΑΟΚ FC
Went along tonight. Love the effort that the girls bring to the table, great tackling with some awesome hits. As Vicky said, skills did improve over time, however I felt that the Dogs executed better under pressure and as such were able to hit more lead-up targets. This may have been influenced by the fact we were rotating through our entire (?) squad.

Our backline looks the most solid so far, a lot of solid marks & decent kicks out of defence with Chiocci a clear standout.

Also thought it interesting that King spent more time up forward than in the ruck.

Altogether was a great, somewhat more relaxed atmosphere. Can't wait to cheer on the girls next Friday

Pics (not great sorry):
ba58873839af9d4edb74156d16ba41a5.jpg

807c960c7370f30776559ca1ee651c49.jpg

4365ba7d5826aea176fe0a7b7f5c7972.jpg

Back