Womens T20 Qualifiers

Remove this Banner Ad

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don't think its any secret that I despise the focus put on T20; as though it is anything other than a sideshow.

Nevertheless, the womens qualifier do deserve some attention. They are being held in Scotland, beginning tonight. Only the top two go through to February's T20 World Cup. (Yes, its a World Cup, despite there already being a World Cup.)
With Zimbabwe's suspension including a ban from ICC tournaments , one of the favourites is eliminated before they begin (something not applied to other suspended nations - but, hey, if the ICC was being consistent Sri Lanka would be suspended over political interference in cricket affairs as well). That said, they would not be odds-on to get through.

Two groups of four play to go into semi-finals. Both winners of semis will qualify, but play still play a final.

Group A : Bangladesh, Papua New Guinea, Scotland, United States of America
Group B : Ireland, Namibia, Netherlands, Thailand

Thailand might be a surprise to many, but they just had a very good quadrangular series in the Netherlands against some of the other fancied sides (splitting games with Scotland and beating Ireland and the Netherlands twice each).

Bangladesh, who beat Thailand 3-0 even more recently, and the hosts should go through group A easily enough.
Namibia will be out-classed, but any of the other three will be unlucky to miss the semis. Rain could well decide who misses the semis. A washout against Namibia could prove tournament ending.

Bangladesh will then most likely win the tournament, the other semi between Scotland and the winner of GroupB is harder. Home advantage to the Scots?

I'm not sure, but I think the tournament winner goes into Australia's group with India, New Zealand and Sri Lanka.

The group stages are over. PNG beating Scotland sees them into the semis. A bit of a surprise to me.

Semis:
Bangladesh v Ireland
Thailand v Papua New Guinea
The winners of the semis qualify for the main event.

No surprise that Namibia and USA went winless in the group stages. Those outside the semis have playoffs for final placings, but nothing more than rankings points are up for grabs.

I have to admit I haven't seen any of it, but from looking at the results it would seem none of these teams are likely to make an impact in T20 2020. Bangladesh seem streets ahead of others in the qualifiers, maybe at a stretch they could give Sri Lanka or Pakistan a scare.

Thailand have just smashed PNG to qualify for the World Cup! What a great story they've been.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back