Current Trial Wonnangatta - Russell Hill & Carol Clay vanish *Pilot Greg Lynn charged with murder

Did Greg Lynn tell police where he buried the bodies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chewton Tigers

'We know there were vehicles in the area at the time with Victorian, NSW, Tasmanian, Queensland and South Australian registrations, so potentially there are people now interstate who have some information or need to contact us,' he said.

ms finch

All Australian
Aug 26, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
Why has this case gained so much traction? I get it's bizzare but there are so many other cases out there that are just as strange, if not moreso, and get zero media attention.
I think it’s a couple of things.

With the public, I think it is the sense amongst people that this is a bit reminiscent of Ivan Milat - people vanishing in the bush. I was a child when the backpacker bodies were found, and it’s one of those things that is etched in my memory. The Button Man scenario has only played into the Ivan Milat connection.

The couple are older and sensible. I don’t think the affair has been titilating; rather I think the lack of discussion about it has been precisely because these two people are seen as very respectable. People like that always seem to get more attention on disappearances/crimes.

Maybe police also feel there is a bigger story here than just this couple given the other odd disappearances in close areas, and feel this couple’s disappearance is their best chance of figuring out what’s going on.

Dec 11, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chewton Tigers
Why has this case gained so much traction? I get it's bizzare but there are so many other cases out there that are just as strange, if not moreso, and get zero media attention.
I don't see it getting any more or less attention than any others. It is a 'live' case not a cold case and the police obviously by their continued appeals are looking for more information. If you read betweeen the lines the police obviously believe that there is fould play involved and the general public does not know everything they know. So I would say by their latest appeal they are looking for witnesses for a specific vehicle and probably already have a suspect within their sights.

Dec 11, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chewton Tigers
I think it’s a couple of things.

With the public, I think it is the sense amongst people that this is a bit reminiscent of Ivan Milat - people vanishing in the bush. I was a child when the backpacker bodies were found, and it’s one of those things that is etched in my memory. The Button Man scenario has only played into the Ivan Milat connection.

The couple are older and sensible. I don’t think the affair has been titilating; rather I think the lack of discussion about it has been precisely because these two people are seen as very respectable. People like that always seem to get more attention on disappearances/crimes.

Maybe police also feel there is a bigger story here than just this couple given the other odd disappearances in close areas, and feel this couple’s disappearance is their best chance of figuring out what’s going on.
I think relating this case to Milat is drawing a very long bow, with the only conection being a national park and not even the same one or in the same state. This couple were not hitchhiking, were not backpackers and were not young to start. The fact that a campsite is found deserted and burnt out with no sign of them, I believe is the main reason why people are interested in this case. For some the secret affair is key, because they would moralise that older 'respectable' people don't have secret affairs with close friends and then disappear unless there is a revenge motive. There is a puzzle to be solved which is alluring to most. This puzzle has many elements one of which is the area they disappeared in and the fact that others have disappeared there in the recent years never to be found. More shades of picnic at Hanging Rock than Bangalow state forest methinks.

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I personally feel this case went off the radar a bit when it was discovered that Button Man had nothing to do with it.

If it wasn't for this thread i'd have forgotten all about it.

imho

Team Captain
Dec 25, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
bushwhakkers doing Wonnangatta

it wouldn't be hard to get into difficulty out there.

imho

imho

Team Captain
Dec 25, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think relating this case to Milat is drawing a very long bow, with the only conection being a national park and not even the same one or in the same state. This couple were not hitchhiking, were not backpackers and were not young to start. The fact that a campsite is found deserted and burnt out with no sign of them, I believe is the main reason why people are interested in this case. For some the secret affair is key, because they would moralise that older 'respectable' people don't have secret affairs with close friends and then disappear unless there is a revenge motive. There is a puzzle to be solved which is alluring to most. This puzzle has many elements one of which is the area they disappeared in and the fact that others have disappeared there in the recent years never to be found. More shades of picnic at Hanging Rock than Bangalow state forest methinks.

last contact 20th march
campsite / vehicle discovered 21st march

...that's the autumnal equinox.
some celebrate it
might other(s) have been drawn to such a location on such an occasion ?

this is one screenshot of the campsite & vehicle, from omen's earlier link (below)
78f4202d84dc93116f0b2800872556e1.jpg

( https://www.police.vic.gov.au/appea...vn74mgq5KANa_ZhP5fURqvjegGUu9n58ljJ35XbTMN3mM )

with pamcake's mention of "drawing" a long bow, "shades" of picnic at hanging rock, i find my thoughts again tuned to '"art"' ... so, in closeups from the above screenshot, what are the chances that this could be a possible clue bearing, abstract illustration, smudged into the soot on the vehicle's canopy?
am i tripping?

a8ae33ff18e9ef003c466cab76080127.jpg

05e6bfbe23b248328e51a6ae9724a2de.jpg
c9667da19d314a85b2d900d6d85a63e1.jpg

imho

Gpop

Rookie
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
last contact 20th march

some celebrate it
emoji848.png

this is one screenshot of the campsite & vehicle, from omen's earlier link (below)

( https://www.police.vic.gov.au/appea...vn74mgq5KANa_ZhP5fURqvjegGUu9n58ljJ35XbTMN3mM )

with pamcake's mention of "drawing" a long bow, "shades" of picnic at hanging rock, i find my thoughts again tuned to '"art"' ... so, in closeups from the above screenshot, what are the chances that this could be a possible clue bearing, abstract illustration, smudged into the soot on the vehicle's canopy?
am i tripping?

emoji187.png
imho
last contact 20th march

some celebrate it

am i tripping?

imho
Great pick up!! Despite of course looking like Elvis this is seriously creepy, I must be tripping too 😱

Wombot

Senior List
Mar 3, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
The public are interested in this case because there is already scandal involved. An elderly cheating couple who potentially met foul play? What’s not to be interested in? Plus the story unravelled slowly. An old married guy who took a supposedly single friend out on a weekend? People had their suspicions early and it was slowly released that they were likely having an affair.

Then there is the enigma of the scene. Various theories abound, from the mundane to the criminal. That leaves the mystery of the motive if criminality is at play. The only thing of value that the police are saying is missing is a drone. Drones can record. Was that why it was taken, to destroy evidence? Was that why there was a fire?

Its an interesting case alright.

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Victoria Police have turned to overseas experts for help investigating the disappearance.

“They have headed to America because there have been a series of what are called wilderness murders there, and there’s some expertise,” Sly explained.

“In fact, there are 28 cold cases involving wilderness murders and the Yosemite authorities have actually a homicide squad embedded there.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What the hell happened here?

Israel Keyes, an ex US military serial killer used to pick people off out in the bush. Nobody knows exactly how many but none of them were found and he targeted couples as well. Not that it's him responsible obvs but maybe someone like him.

Imagine your husband disappearing in the bush, possibly murdered, being sick with worry and grief then to find out he was away for a dirty hot weekend with his mistress. And she's your friend, gone as well. How do you break it to the kids? It's awful on awful.

zedx

Club Legend
Feb 23, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Imagine your husband disappearing in the bush, possibly murdered, being sick with worry and grief then to find out he was away for a dirty hot weekend with his mistress. And she's your friend, gone as well. How do you break it to the kids? It's awful on awful.
It would have been absolutely shocking !! Especially at that stage of your life, I just don't know how you would break it to your children. And the whole horrible situation ie never ending as they have not been found! Would be like a nightmare you can't seem to wake up from !!

Warren Meyer who just vanished when he had all the right equipment including GPS, may have stumbled on to a marijuana crop.

The police found a crop of 32 plants in the initial search for Meyer and his family later found more evidence of illegal activity.

zedx

Club Legend
Feb 23, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Warren Meyer who just vanished when he had all the right equipment including GPS, may have stumbled on to a marijuana crop.

The police found a crop of 32 plants in the initial search for Meyer and his family later found more evidence of illegal activity.

Note to self...'Don't walk off the beaten track !!'

There's a couple of things that jumped out in that program, after seeing it and learning of what else was missing out of their tent and on the contents of Carol's purse I don't think they had an accident, I think they were probably murdered. Attacked while they were sleeping.

Back