Unsolved Wonnangatta - Russell Hill & Carol Clay vanish *Pilot Greg Lynn charged with murder

Did Greg Lynn tell police where he buried the bodies?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dogs_R_Us

Space Traveller
May 3, 2001
Sirius - the Dogstar
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Anything is possible but if he ran them over in the tent I believe he would have known they were in there. In a fit of rage I believe Lynn would have wanted to confront the individual who made him angry? Only have to wait until May or June to find out? I wonder if anyone in these forums has it right? LOL
Maybe he did, but that's a huge jump from just wanting to scare a couple of elderly strangers and drive them away. I can't believe he was just hanging around waiting for someone to kill, because of depression/unemployment/murderous feelings towards society in general. I don't know the guy at all, unlike many on here who can describe his life and state of mind with certainty :rolleyes:, so as I say, we'll just have to wait to find out.

Kurve

Dec 27, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Maybe he did, but that's a huge jump from just wanting to scare a couple of elderly strangers and drive them away. I can't believe he was just hanging around waiting for someone to kill, because of depression/unemployment/murderous feelings towards society in general. I don't know the guy at all, unlike many on here who can describe his life and state of mind with certainty :rolleyes:, so as I say, we'll just have to wait to find out.

To be fair, we've been collecting snippets of information on elements of his personality for weeks now but I'm pretty sure most of us know we can't be certain of anything. if there are things where we can make some safe conclusions.

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
I have trouble believing that RH would have confronted a stranger about taking "his" spot! The impression we have is that GL was there for a couple of days at least before RH & CC arrived. If you go to a camping site and someone is set up in the spot where you usually camp, do you go up to them and start an argument? Well, no, something "bad" could happen to you! Maybe he said in passing GL's camp (on the way to the WC) that it is the best spot and where he usually camps, but I'm not sure that would start an argument. RH wasn't known to be aggressive, and before you quote an incident from his youth I'll say that hopefully he learned a lesson from that, having come off second best.

I am actually at a loss as to what would cause someone to kill two OAP's who had only arrived a couple of hours before at most. I've really concluded that there was probably nothing, except he was in the mood to kill someone and ended up discovering that RH had a lady friend, and killed her as well.

I don't think the incident used as an example was from his youth, and I believe there are more recent examples of his demeanour. Did you know RH?

That last line is a really long bow to draw. GL seems to have killed two innocent people, but there must have been some trigger for it, whether a drone, campsite whatever. But I doubt he just wandered over to RH/CC campsite and killed them because he was "in the mood".

Last edited:

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
No, killed together. I have postulated my theory (and been laughed at by those favouring guns, hand-to-hand combat, deranged serial killers) quite a lot it seems. Post #1562 is the main one, but I've had quite a bit to say since, haha, in the same vein.
Prepared to accept I could be wrong ;) We'll have to wait for the trial to find out.

I don't think anyone has laughed at your theory, certainly not me (I hope my couple of posts replying to you you along the way weren't taken as deriding your theory). Sure, I think it's a less likely scenario, but it wouldn't surprise me if it turned out to be true. There are so many twists to this story, and every new detail that emerges just makes it even more bizarre. GL seems to have been/is an unhinged character, but as you say, we'll have to wait for the trial.

Dogs_R_Us

Space Traveller
May 3, 2001
Sirius - the Dogstar
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I don't think anyone has laughed at your theory, certainly not me (I hope my couple of posts replying to you you along the way weren't taken as deriding your theory). Sure, I think it's a less likely scenario, but it wouldn't surprise me if it turned out to be true. There are so many twists to this story, and every new detail that emerges just makes it even more bizarre. GL seems to have been/is an unhinged character, but as you say, we'll have to wait for the trial.
Thanks, I probably should have said most found it unbelievable. But bizarre things happen, truth is stranger than fiction as they say, and it seems to me to be the simplest explanation. But what would I know :$. It’ll probably turn out Lynn is another Ivan Milat.

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Thanks, I probably should have said most found it unbelievable. But bizarre things happen, truth is stranger than fiction as they say, and it seems to me to be the simplest explanation. But what would I know :$. It’ll probably turn out Lynn is another Ivan Milat.

If your theory is true, I'll happily buy you a beer. My challenge though, will be getting to Sirius to do that. I have a beaten up Millenium Falcon-type craft, sort of a beige colour, apparently used to be blue, and possibly white before that. Bought it from some traffic smuggler called Greg Solo, who won it from Howitt the Hut(t)!

Badd0g

Senior List
Nov 28, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
There's been some chat around Lynn returning to the site and crushing them down but it's just chatter so I can't say there's any real basis to it. If he was doing that, it's possible he was taking bits away with him to scatter. Investigators will have to work out which one it is ie. did he cut them up and scatter parts before he buried what was left where they were found or did he return to remove bits and pieces?

They'll need to know what the answer is to respond to a defence of 'mental impairment'. If he was to proceed on that.
Going back to move the remains is even more disturbing. I think I'm leaning toward everything post their deaths occurring at GHA - would have made it easier to dispose of them and required a smaller hole/less digging.

Badd0g

Senior List
Nov 28, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
BadDog said that Russel Hill hadn't been there the week before, it was elsewhere around 1-2 hours away from memory so if it was campsite related it wasn't that
That was info from his HF radio crew. He reported to be camping at up at King Billy (two ranges east) when they had their usual 6pm chat the week prior. IIRC, it was only for the night - midweek, which his mates thought was odd. It's been suggested that he could have given them false info (and lets face it, he could have been anywhere and they'd be none the wiser), but aside from mateship, one of the reasons they kept/keep in touch that way is for safety, so it wouldn't have been in his interest to give them a false location - particularly given he was on his own.

Badd0g

Senior List
Nov 28, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Based on that he is one sick puppy. You also mentioned an argument over campsite location? If Lynn was already in the best spot then was he whinging that they setup too close to him? I can't think of any other motive re campsite altercation? You wonder how this sort of detail managed to get into the hands of a local?
That was, without asking directly, the impression that I got - there was an intention made to camp in what was perceived to be too close a location, given that there is acres of space out there. It doesn't sit completely well with me due to some conflicts of previous assumptions and what we know about RHs camping background.

Any experienced camper knows it's not etiquette to camp right on top of someone else where there is a choice, however, we have heard that RH was quite possessive of the area and could well have decided it was his haunt and he could bloody well camp where he liked. If that scenario ensued, I can imagine that CC would have attempted to defuse the situation, leading them to camp well back from the river (as we know they did). If GL's fuse was already lit by that encounter, a drone subsequently flying over quite possibly could have tipped him over the edge. IMO of course

Kurve

Dec 27, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Any experienced camper knows it's not etiquette to camp right on top of someone else where there is a choice, however, we have heard that RH was quite possessive of the area and could well have decided it was his haunt and he could bloody well camp where he liked. If that scenario ensued, I can imagine that CC would have attempted to defuse the situation, leading them to camp well back from the river (as we know they did). If GL's fuse was already lit by that encounter, a drone subsequently flying over quite possibly could have tipped him over the edge. IMO of course

Do you know if they could have seen each other from their campsites?

Terrafirma

Senior List
May 21, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Do you know if they could have seen each other from their campsites?

Yes I believe in the 60 minute show Stamper points to Hill & Clay's campsite from where it is believed Lynn camped. I think from memory BadDog said it might have been around 80 meters? That is close I would have thought if you had an entire area to choose from. If that's the case I'd love to know if Lynn told them to move and Hill refused?

Kurve

Dec 27, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yes I believe in the 60 minute show Stamper points to Hill & Clay's campsite from where it is believed Lynn camped. I think from memory BadDog said it might have been around 80 meters? That is close I would have thought if you had an entire area to choose from. If that's the case I'd love to know if Lynn told them to move and Hill refused?

Yeh I knew it was close and within shouting distance. Just not sure by looking at the picture of Russell and Carol's campsite if the opening to their tent and where they might sit around outside of, had a direct line of sight to where GL was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zidane98

Hall of Famer
Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Socceroos, LFC, MVFC, RC Strasbourg
Any number of reasons for a dispute. RH wanting prime campsite. GL being triggered over RH flying drone above his camp site.

GL & RH may have had a chat, cordial at the start. Then got aggressive over RH disclosing he was having an affair.

A Toyota vs Nissan discussion getting overheated.

None of the above would normally lead to an elderly couple being killed though one would imagine. I

utility

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 26, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
None of the above would normally lead to an elderly couple being killed though one would imagine. I
One punch can kill. It may have been as simple as the lads getting into a barney, the old fella copping one in the 'sweet spot', and the old lady having a heart attack. GL panics and tries to cover up everything so he's not caught.

Unless he spills the beans we'll never know for sure.

craffles

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Brooklyn Nets, New York Jets
A bit of a different angle inspired a bit by the unbelievable nature of what has transpired in the Cleo Smith case but maybe we need to ask ourselves why does GL have to have had a motive that we understand?

There's been plenty of examples of discussion around his mental health, he could well have been smack back in the middle of a manic episode and paranoid that RH and CC were spying on him etc or he could have been hallucinating that they were wild animals or something.

Manic episodes make people do things someone of sound mental health can't comprehend. The whole timing of the trip and running off to camp on his own certainly lends to this theory as well as the double murder charger meaning it was not an accident.

Dogs_R_Us

Space Traveller
May 3, 2001
Sirius - the Dogstar
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
A bit of a different angle inspired a bit by the unbelievable nature of what has transpired in the Cleo Smith case but maybe we need to ask ourselves why does GL have to have had a motive that we understand?

There's been plenty of examples of discussion around his mental health, he could well have been smack back in the middle of a manic episode and paranoid that RH and CC were spying on him etc or he could have been hallucinating that they were wild animals or something.

Manic episodes make people do things someone of sound mental health can't comprehend. The whole timing of the trip and running off to camp on his own certainly lends to this theory as well as the double murder charger meaning it was not an accident.
Reckless endangerment? (My theory again, hehe.) "Reckless endangerment is a crime, whereby a person behaves in a reckless manner which creates a substantial risk of a serious physical injury to another individual. ... The individual's action must also exceed negligent or accidental conduct, posing a risk of harm that is itself unreasonable."

Running over the tent... :grimacing:

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Reckless endangerment? (My theory again, hehe.) "Reckless endangerment is a crime, whereby a person behaves in a reckless manner which creates a substantial risk of a serious physical injury to another individual. ... The individual's action must also exceed negligent or accidental conduct, posing a risk of harm that is itself unreasonable."

Running over the tent... :grimacing:

Maybe he reversed his trailer over the tent, and that's why he had to sell it? Less likely than driving his Patrol over it, but I'm guessing even if 4x4 suspension, trailer had less clearance, more likely to impact two people sitting/lying down. Probably unlikely to kill them outright, so then GL needs to finish them off.

I'm not sh1t-stirring btw Dogs_R_Us - it's getting to the stage where nothing would surprise me in this case, given GL's actions post mortem (of course the dismemberment is only alleged, not confirmed).

Kurve

Dec 27, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Maybe he reversed his trailer over the tent, and that's why he had to sell it? Less likely than driving his Patrol over it, but I'm guessing even if 4x4 suspension, trailer had less clearance, more likely to impact two people sitting/lying down. Probably unlikely to kill them outright, so then GL needs to finish them off.

I'm not sh1t-stirring btw Dogs_R_Us - it's getting to the stage where nothing would surprise me in this case, given GL's actions post mortem (of course the dismemberment is only alleged, not confirmed).

Running them over is about the only way he can frame it imo and try to make it look like an accident that killed both at the same time and it might go some way to explaining why he had it resprayed.

However, if he shot them that might explain some form of mutilation/dismemberment as an attempt to dig bullets out that could be tied forensically to him by way of his registered firearms and ballistics.

Dogs_R_Us

Space Traveller
May 3, 2001
Sirius - the Dogstar
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Running them over is about the only way he can frame it imo and try to make it look like an accident that killed both at the same time and it might go some way to explaining why he had it resprayed.

However, if he shot them that might explain some form of mutilation/dismemberment as an attempt to dig bullets out that could be tied forensically to him by way of his registered firearms and ballistics.
Also might explain why he burnt the tent - blood inside?

Respray was a disguise after he realised he might have been caught on CCTV.

Gun - just no.

Kurve

Dec 27, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Gun - just no.

If he's dug bullets out and smashed their bones up well enough they won't be able to tell whether he used a gun or not. They probably won't be able to confirm either whether he accidentally ran over them or not, which might work for Lynn.

Kwality

Hall of Famer
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
If he's dug bullets out and smashed their bones up well enough they won't be able to tell whether he used a gun or not. They probably won't be able to confirm either whether he accidentally ran over them or not, which might work for Lynn.

The lawyer would have been at work over anything GL said.

Kurve

Dec 27, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The lawyer would have been at work over anything GL said.

His lawyer can't be seen or be perceived to be helping him construct a bogus statement in lining up a defence

Kwality

Hall of Famer
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
His lawyer can't be seen or be perceived to be helping him construct a bogus statement in lining up a defence

What about anything that might incriminate him?
There has been plenty of speculation here over what GL might have said in terms of assisting the investigation.