Unsolved Wonnangatta - Russell Hill & Carol Clay vanish *Pilot Greg Lynn charged with murder

Remove this Banner Ad

Zidane98

Hall of Famer
Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Socceroos, LFC, MVFC, RC Strasbourg
You're a car person, I'm not. Does the Nissan wagon model he was driving come with factory GPS? Or did they start doing that in the later models?
No factory GPS back in 97 obviously. But could have fitted aftermarket head unit. Or google maps on phone saves breadcrumbs even when out of mobile range.

Alberto_Magnifico

Team Captain
Aug 9, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
This guy kept the same car with the black PVC pipe on top. His GPS will have routes, waypoints, breadcrumbs and stars all over the place I'm betting.

PS. His car has that rear fender body kit front piece missing just like the Patrol in the pics pics posted by Jamie007 earlier.
I hear what you are saying but I reckon a bloke of his vintage and experience with the area wouldn't necessarily be tracking.The tracks in and out of the Gatta are few and easy to follow. He's probably been through there dozens of times, I don't use maps in that area and Im much younger than him
edit: although if his exit via the north put him onto major roads he needed navigation from and which contradicted his initial interview with the cops...

Last edited:

SmAshmoto

Team Captain
Feb 16, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Valentino Rossi, Melbourne Stars
Same. And that man Conrad, whose little white car was found parked on the side of the road near Bulla in similar circumstances to Russell's in that it was locked and wallet/purse inside. The man had simply vanished and left his car on the side of the road.
That one always felt like suicide /mental breakdown. But who the hell knows

MiguelM

Club Legend
Feb 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Absolutely stunned that it is two counts of murder. How does a 20 year airline pilot end up murdering 2 totally unconnected and random elderly couple? Especially out in the middle of nowhere. I envisaged an accidental death of one of the couple and maybe a murder of the second to cover it up.
Yeah, suggests it was premeditated. Wipes out many theories.

Maybe had an argument earlier in the day, stews on it, then ambushes them in tent?

In any case, horrifying.

Zidane98

Hall of Famer
Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Socceroos, LFC, MVFC, RC Strasbourg

Maybe had an argument earlier in the day, stews on it, then ambushes them in tent?

In any case, horrifying.
Must have been an argument after 6.30 radio call and campsite setup. Hill & Clay werent there earlier in the day. Like some said, a possible argument over the drone. He snaps because he is seeing the aviation industry turn to sh*t in front of his eyes.

Bunk Moreland

Hall of Famer
Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Perhaps a rage killing. Perhaps assisted by alcohol or drugs.

As for the bodies, I think it sounds like he’s cooperating but after this long they couldn’t be too confident of finding them. He may not be too confident himself of where he left them. Add a long period of time, wild animals etc, they might have some idea where he left them but that doesn’t mean they’ll find them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alberto_Magnifico

Team Captain
Aug 9, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon

In any case, horrifying.
This is where the timing is suspicious, either it happened early and he waited until late to leave or it happened late at night, which makes me think, what we're two folk 70+ doing out of bed that late to cause an argument?
As sick as it is to think about it makes me think he had waited untill late, took his opportunity, then took phones, drones incase they held evidence, then burnt up the rest.

PenfoldsFan

All Australian
Mar 4, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Central Districts
Dispute over the drone buzzing around is my guess.
Imagine being a guy who sits meters away from the whirring sound of a couple of jet engines all day for a crust and who decides to hit the high country on the weekend for a bit of quiet time only to have that serenity disrupted with the sound of a drone whizzing overhead.
Would explain why the drone was never found and why that activity made them a target.

imho

Senior List
Dec 25, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
This is where the timing is suspicious, either it happened early and he waited until late to leave or it happened late at night, which makes me think, what we're two folk 70+ doing out of bed that late to cause an argument?
As sick as it is to think about it makes me think he had waited untill late, took his opportunity, then took phones, drones incase they held evidence, then burnt up the rest.
the unused port-a-loo suggests events likely unfolded before settling down for the night ... somewhere between the radio call and bedtime.

imho

Kurve

Dec 27, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Uh-oh. If police come out and say a different coloured Patrol was in the vicinity each time one of the other 'disappearances' from this article occurred, Kurve needs to go back to Google street view and post more photos!

LOL

4wd3.jpg

Attachments

Bowakawa

Major Leagues
Sep 8, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Dispute over the drone buzzing around is my guess.
Imagine being a guy who sits meters away from the whirring sound of a couple of jet engines all day for a crust and who decides to hit the high country on the weekend for a bit of quiet time only to have that serenity disrupted with the sound of a drone whizzing overhead.
Would explain why the drone was never found and why that activity made them a target.
Yeah, my theory is that the drone caught and filmed him doing something illegal, he goes and asks the old guy to hand it over or delete the footage - he refuses and tells him to get ****ed, he’s shot, then so is the woman in an attempt to cover it up.

ep2018

Bigfooty Pessimist
Sep 16, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
He comes across as an injustice collector. Can't let go of someone who, in his mind, wrongs him. He has to make a statement every time someone does the smallest thing to him. Smart enough to fly a plane yet impulsive enough to get into a rage at the smallest thing. I bet you anything his family, workmates and friends walk on eggshells whenever they have been in his presence as a result. Unfortunately I believe he has killed in rage before. Hopefully detectives can crack him open further and solve a few other missing person cases as a result now.

Alberto_Magnifico

Team Captain
Aug 9, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
Yes, Hill and Clay had only just got there and set up camp, when “it” happened.
So the accused potentially had up to 3-4 hours before he left around midnight? That's a lot of time spent removing evidence and planning next moves. Shows a lot of composure to not panic and leave, but rather wait for the "right" time to start the fire, and leave.

Dogs_R_Us

Space Traveller
May 3, 2001
Sirius - the Dogstar
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So the accused potentially had up to 3-4 hours before he left around midnight? That's a lot of time spent removing evidence and planning next moves. Shows a lot of composure to not panic and leave, but rather wait for the "right" time to start the fire, and leave.
Also shows how isolated the place is. Not somewhere I’d like to be, prefer a few other people around. It would be spooky out there all alone.

The place where Lynn was arrested was similar.

imho

Senior List
Dec 25, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Wow nice find what's the date on this Steetview?

One of the media sites had all 3 images up yesterday side by side, after Kurve posted the earlier one with just dark blue and beige. So he bought it white and resprayed it twice. Or possibly more?! There's either going to be a relatively straightforward explanation for why he killed them... or he's some sort of high country serial killer!

From memory there is a Patrol in the background of a photo at Cheviot Beach in Dec 1967, with a toddler in the driver's seat wearing a pilot's cap!

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad