Unsolved Wonnangatta - Russell Hill & Carol Clay vanish *Pilot Greg Lynn charged with murder

Remove this Banner Ad

Pamcake1

Senior List
Dec 11, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chewton Tigers
Surely they have some real solid evidence if he's admitted to anything. They obviously needed more info just a couple of weeks ago when they released the information on the 4WD. Being in the area is merely not enough so unless he has just fessed up it will fascinating to know what they already had.
On Thursday morning he disclosed where the bodies were....I would say that qualifies as admitting something.
The police used the info about the 4WD to try and smoke him out....they already knew it was his and knew of him......what they needed was him to tell them where the bodies are.
I'd say mission accomplished wouldn't you.
Aside from the above info and finding the graves, I would say they have more than we know.

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
On Thursday morning he disclosed where the bodies were....I would say that qualifies as admitting something.
The police used the info about the 4WD to try and smoke him out....they already knew it was his and knew of him......what they needed was him to tell them where the bodies are.
I'd say mission accomplished wouldn't you.
Aside from the above info and finding the graves, I would say they have more than we know.
Why wouldn't they just bring him in for questioning and show him the image of the 4WD in that case? I think they wanted friends and acquaintances to come forward with any information they had about his behaviour and possible confirmation of him camping in that area on that date imo.

Pamcake1

Senior List
Dec 11, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chewton Tigers
Full and early cooperation will also help with the plea.

If he knows he’s cooked he would be best off doing every little thing he can to limit the damage and see if he can get a sentence which allows the possibility of a return to freedom before he dies.
If he is convicted for a double murder at his age he would normally not see freedom again.

Kurve

Dec 27, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He's probably at Fulham, I forgot that was there. Not sure if it has a wing for remand.

Fulham Correctional Centre is a medium security Australian prison located in Hopkins Road, Sale, Victoria, Australia. The prison consists of mainstream medium and minimum security cell blocks, management, and a protection unit. It was built by Thiess Contractors and completed in 1997

Pamcake1

Senior List
Dec 11, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chewton Tigers
Why wouldn't they just bring him in for questioning and show him the image of the 4WD in that case? I think they wanted friends and acquaintances to come forward with any information they had about his behaviour and possible confirmation of him camping in that area on that date imo.
I'm guessing that that wouldn't have been enough to get him to confess. As it is it took 72 hours before he did. I think it is more VicPol wanted him to be under greater preasure to confess and that the friends and family would not be in any doubt. Apparently he had a fight with his wife....do you think that could have been a bit of preasure being applied indirectly?

imho

Senior List
Dec 25, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
curious as to the distance between the campsite and the locked gate where a petrol powered vehicle was said to have performed a 20-30point U-turn?
the U-turning was obviously witnessed by either sight, sound, or smell, and if, as i recall, the gate was locked for bushfire purposes, i'd have thought that any others camping in the region would have been on extra high alert for fire during the season, yet the burning campsite, which would have emitted a glow in the night sky, lots of smoke, crackling, possibly minor explosions, went unnoticed until end of the following day ... a matter of distance, or murphy's law?
imho

Last edited:

MiguelM

Club Legend
Feb 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
They had already questioned him early in the investigation. He stated he did not see them. Police already knew he was in the area.

Slowly building a robust case IMO.

Pamcake1

Senior List
Dec 11, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chewton Tigers
Yes and many more questions if they intend to hold him in Sale, they want to keep him handy and close to the scene. I haven't heard anything yet of transport to Melbourne.
Yes and many more questions if they intend to hold him in Sale, they want to keep him handy and close to the scene. I haven't heard anything yet of transport to Melbourne.
I heard on ABC radio thid morning that they were bringing him to Melbourne to put him in protective custody.

JWS2019

Team Captain
Nov 30, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm guessing that that wouldn't have been enough to get him to confess. As it is it took 72 hours before he did. I think it is more VicPol wanted him to be under greater preasure to confess and that the friends and family would not be in any doubt. Apparently he had a fight with his wife....do you think that could have been a bit of preasure being applied indirectly?
I don’t think he has confessed has he? He’s been silent from what I have seen?

Anja_Nees

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If he is convicted for a double murder at his age he would normally not see freedom again.
If he’s lucky, he could get a non-parole period well under 30 years, possibly under 20. It’s happened here in multiple homicides before, and he’s in a good position given his age and lack of previous convictions.

Might get out before 80 if he does.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FrankGrimes

Club Legend
Jan 11, 2009
melb
AFL Club
Essendon
He's probably at Fulham, I forgot that was there. Not sure if it has a wing for remand.

Fulham Correctional Centre is a medium security Australian prison located in Hopkins Road, Sale, Victoria, Australia. The prison consists of mainstream medium and minimum security cell blocks, management, and a protection unit. It was built by Thiess Contractors and completed in 1997

Remand prisoners can’t go there can?
Most likely Melbourne remand centre

MiguelM

Club Legend
Feb 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Reported this morning that he told them where the bodies were on Thursday morning....aka confession.
Cheers, hadn't heard that. Looking at the photos of the search area it seems fairly specific, albeit remote.

Close to roads for a quick getaway. Not a chance in hell of anyone finding anything without a confession in there.

Pamcake1

Senior List
Dec 11, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chewton Tigers
Wow ... Lynn isn't back in court until May and in Sale. Complexities of the case was given as the reason for such a long pause.

Hmmmmmm
It would be pretty complicated as not only do they have to prove it is him they have to prove that it isn't anyone else as well.
That he didn't say get roped into just disposing of the bodies but didn't kill them etc...you know when the Martians held him ar gunpoint and made him do it and scenarios as such.
Also they will need time for close analysis of the car, bodies etc

Zidane98

Hall of Famer
Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Socceroos, LFC, MVFC, RC Strasbourg
Wow ... Lynn isn't back in court until May and in Sale. Complexities of the case was given as the reason for such a long pause.

Hmmmmmm
I dont get what is so complex if a) he's admitted it b) he admitted concealing their bodies and c) they locate their remains confirming he killed them.

Seems a straightforward case to me that should be going straight to a judge for sentencing.

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
So accused has engaged same lawyer as Richard Pusey. I won't repeat my opinion of Pusey on here, but hard to believe anyone would accept money to defend him (and yes I know that's what criminal defence lawyers do for a crust, I just save time and adopt a low opinion of them as a default position).

KLM

Draftee
Nov 25, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
This is behind the HS paywall:

View attachment 1287665

Not sure if that story has any substance, and as some of you have indicated, hopefully stories/claims like this don't contribute to prejudicial claims by his defence, but some media outlets are now going to generate click-bait speculative pieces ad-nauseum I suspect.
It appears to have some substance in light of her burial records - maiden name, references her family members and kids but no reference to GL . This must bring painful memories to the surface for her family, whatever the circumstances were. But as you say, hopefully it doesn't contribute to prejudicial claims by his defense, and the media leave it alone.

Alberto_Magnifico

Team Captain
Aug 9, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
I dont get what is so complex if a) he's admitted it b) he admitted concealing their bodies and c) they locate their remains confirming he killed them.

Seems a straightforward case to me that should be going straight to a judge for sentencing.
I'm starting to genuinely believe it may not be old mates first rodeo, I initially didn't even entertain the thought at all as it seemed a bit too fantastical, but something about all these moving parts makes me think its plausible that the investigators had a big question mark over him very early on.
Pure speculation obviously, it just makes as much if not more sense than someone of an advanced age suddenly going "bad" in such a dramatic fashion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad