Current Trial Wonnangatta - Russell Hill & Carol Clay vanish *Pilot Greg Lynn charged with murder

Did Greg Lynn tell police where he buried the bodies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Last edited:

Lady O

Club Legend
Dec 8, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
Yeah but from what I saw, they looked more like snow shovels. Where they were searching from is a chain bay... People will use snow shovels to clear around tyres while fitting and if they forget them, they would just get pushed over the edge by the plow.
They didn't look like the kind of shovels you'd use to dig a hole.
The trailer and whatever he used to reduce the bodies to fragments seem to be the only 2 things unaccounted for.
I'm still going with the trip in May being a trailer disposal weekend...rightt before snow season and road closures. Even if Covid hadn't hit, no one would have been out on the tracks for a good 5 months... Perfect time to pitch it over a steep edge and hope the spring growth covered any obvious disturbance in the surrounding bush.
GL has made, what in hindsight seem like a lot of silly errors, but in reality, he really only missed one detail that was his undoing. He's cunning and calculated and would have been considering anything that worked in his favour IMO
No I agree, the shovels aren't for digging. The look like concretors shovels, but I understand that people would also probably buy them for shoveling snow, so that sounds about right.

Yes the trailer. Wasn't there also their shoes that were missing? That could just be media BS.

Whatever he used to reduce the bones to fragments. Any ideas what would he use for that? Hammer? That would be a long and tedious job.

Awakening

Club Legend
Oct 23, 2021
AFL Club
West Coast
No I agree, the shovels aren't for digging. The look like concretors shovels, but I understand that people would also probably buy them for shoveling snow, so that sounds about right.

Yes the trailer. Wasn't there also their shoes that were missing? That could just be media BS.

Whatever he used to reduce the bones to fragments. Any ideas what would he use for that? Hammer? That would be a long and tedious job.

Unless… he ran over the bones with the trailer to break them down. Dogs_R_Us is back in the game!

Concerning the magistrate slammed the police for not organising a mental examination upon arrest.

They filed an arrest based on concerns for GL's mental health.

Its a bit of a no-no (although not expressly forbidden) to interview someone without a lawyer present who has documented mental health concerns even if they have been read their rights.

I suspect Dann's trying to outsmart the prosecution and attempting to use the police documenation of mental health concerns against them to suppress the interview where GL gave up the bodies when his lawyer was not present.

I agree thats what they are trying.

Sep 8, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
So I heard through the grapevine that Lynn confessed to police in his interview - his side of the story is that Hill said he caught him illegally hunting on drone - said he was gonna report him if he didn't leave or something like that - Lynn started blasting music from his car to piss the old man off - Hill opens car door and grabs Lynn's gun from back of car - they wrestle over it and it goes off shooting Clay in face - Hill comes at Lynn with a knife, then Lynn stabs him to death.

He transported the bodies planning to burn the them but couldn't bring himself to do it. Returned at a later date which is when his vehicle was caught on camera as his phone simultaneously pinged tower.
His wife didn't know - he tried to cover it up so as not to lose his hunting license and job.

I don't really believe his story to be honest. Reckon he flipped out and killed them in a rage rather than it being an accident and self defence.

For night navigation/flying.

PilotMudMap.png

Badd0g

Team Captain
Nov 28, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
So I heard through the grapevine that Lynn confessed to police in his interview - his side of the story is that Hill said he caught him illegally hunting on drone - said he was gonna report him if he didn't leave or something like that - Lynn started blasting music from his car to piss the old man off - Hill opens car door and grabs Lynn's gun from back of car - they wrestle over it and it goes off shooting Clay in face - Hill comes at Lynn with a knife, then Lynn stabs him to death.

He transported the bodies planning to burn the them but couldn't bring himself to do it. Returned at a later date which is when his vehicle was caught on camera as his phone simultaneously pinged tower.
His wife didn't know - he tried to cover it up so as not to lose his hunting license and job.

I don't really believe his story to be honest. Reckon he flipped out and killed them in a rage rather than it being an accident and self defence.
Only a few (gaping) holes in that story. The only believable part IMO is his wife didn't know and he tried to cover it up to save his job.

Only a few (gaping) holes in that story. The only believable part IMO is his wife didn't know and he tried to cover it up to save his job.
Maybe RH was anti hunting and grabbed the gun to throw it into the creek. I actually can’t imagine even touching someone’s gun ; surely you’d want to calm the situation if there’s a gun nearby. Grabbing it is never going to turn out well.

MiguelM

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon

GL had a lot of time to make up a story.

Thing for me is if I was camping with my life long (secret) sweetheart, I would be quietly keeping to myself as much as possible. Also, if I had drone footage of a hunter doing the wrong thing the last thing I would do is confront him at the time (knowing he would have weapons) just go to cops after trip. Thirdly, grabbing a gun from a car is just stupid as 9 times out of 10 it would not be loaded (if properly stored) and would be a massive escalation.

Having said that, we know RH had a lot of working experience in the area and didn't like hunters so might have thought he was a bit of an authority figure and didn't like to back down.

We may never know. GL has done a good job removing evidence on the whole.

Lady O

Club Legend
Dec 8, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon

Maybe the story from way back, about beastiality is correct?

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
I think GL will need to take the stand if he's trying to run with self-defence. He needs to create reasonable doubt and it will be hard without testifying.

Unfortunately in this case that's not how a trial works. The prosecution needs to prove their case beyond doubt for him to go down for murder. I doubt GL will testify.

There will be a conviction regardless anyway no mater what is decided in court. He has already admitted to at least manslaughter x 1, interfering with corpses x 2 and perverting the course of justice. Those charges are all but confirmed without the prosecution having to do make a case.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GL had a lot of time to make up a story.

Thing for me is if I was camping with my life long (secret) sweetheart, I would be quietly keeping to myself as much as possible. Also, if I had drone footage of a hunter doing the wrong thing the last thing I would do is confront him at the time (knowing he would have weapons) just go to cops after trip. Thirdly, grabbing a gun from a car is just stupid as 9 times out of 10 it would not be loaded (if properly stored) and would be a massive escalation.

Having said that, we know RH had a lot of working experience in the area and didn't like hunters so might have thought he was a bit of an authority figure and didn't like to back down.

We may never know. GL has done a good job removing evidence on the whole.

All that we really know so far is there was an altercation between GL & RH. We know RH parked right next to GL's campsite. That much is now pretty obvious. it's the how it went down and how CC ended up dead that needs to be determined beyond reasonable doubt.

I can't really imagine RH grabbing a gun from inside the car either. He might be a bit of a hard nut but he didn't sound stupid by the same token. I thought it more likely if there was a wrestle over a gun that it was when GL was returning from hunting they got into an altercation (drone, piss off out of my campsite etc), when he had his gun with him and a hunting knife on him. That to me is the most plausible start of the altercation leading to tragedy.

MiguelM

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
All that we really know so far is there was an altercation between GL & RH. We know RH parked right next to GL's campsite. That much is now pretty obvious. it's the how it went down and how CC ended up dead that needs to be determined beyond reasonable doubt.

I can't really imagine RH grabbing a gun from inside the car either. He might be a bit of a hard nut but he didn't sound stupid by the same token. I thought it more likely if there was a wrestle over a gun that it was when GL was returning from hunting they got into an altercation (drone, piss out out of my campsite etc), when he had his gun with him and a hunting knife on him. That to me is the most plausible start of the altercation leading to tragedy.
Agreed.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Re: Hotham search - coppers may have calculated from RH's final phone ping that GL may well have piffed it over a ledge on the drive down from Hotham down to Harrietville.

There's some huge cliff faces there dropping hundreds of meters. I was up there early Jan and can only imagine anything that ends down the bottom of those gullies at the bottom of those cliff faces would be very difficult to find. Maybe RH's phone data showed it resting in one place until the battery finally ran out. They're looking for some sort of evidence that GL disposed of out of his car whatever it may be.

MiguelM

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Re: Hotham search - coppers may have calculated from RH's final phone ping that GL may well have piffed it over a ledge on the drive down from Hotham down to Harrietville.

There's some huge cliff faces there dropping hundreds of meters. I was up there early Jan and can only imagine anything that ends down the bottom of those gullies at the bottom of those cliff faces would be very difficult to find. Maybe RH's phone data showed it resting in one place until the battery finally ran out. They're looking for some sort of evidence that GL disposed of out of his car whatever it may be.
In any case, the search will be on in earnest for four or so months prior to Winter. LaNina has eased so they should get a good run at looking for anything that might help.

Suspect they will have separate units looking for phones/drones and others concentrating on bone fragments/campsite clues. Will be difficult with all the rain that area has experienced, but they could get lucky.

Terrafirma

All Australian
May 21, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
In any case, the search will be on in earnest for four or so months prior to Winter. LaNina has eased so they should get a good run at looking for anything that might help.

Suspect they will have separate units looking for phones/drones and others concentrating on bone fragments/campsite clues. Will be difficult with all the rain that area has experienced, but they could get lucky.
The $$$ question re the burnt drone was the sim card still in it.? If he in fact did burn it I doubt the sim card would be functional? As I understand it Lynn said he burnt it? Who knows if that's true or is he trying to put the Police off searching for it? And what would the phones reveal?

Badd0g

Team Captain
Nov 28, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Maybe the story from way back, about beastiality is correct?
Are you referring to the story about him allegedly slitting the dogs throat? Uhhh I think the term you are looking for is animal cruelty, not beastiality :)

Badd0g

Team Captain
Nov 28, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton

It was reported that the last detection of RH's phone was near Mansfield though - that was why I suggested he took that route. So it's not the phone they're looking for.

And there's some steep gullies along the GAR but I wouldn't describe them as cliffs. They had good reason to switch their search there in Apr 21 so they obviously think there is something down there somewhere.

This article isn't well written either but I've interpreted it as Lynn's story is that he charged down to Russell's campsite and had a go about the drone before returning to his own campsite.

Lynn may have suggested that Russell 'wanted to keep it going' with Russell and presumably Carol then entering his campsite where Russell took Lynn's gun out of the car and through that one dynamic event, they were both killed. At Lynn's campsite.

Lynn's story might have been a bit more believable if it isn't at all, up until investigators, after Lynn had been arrested and on another search, found a piece of Carol's skull and lead at her campsite.

Is that the big lie they've caught him out on? They can prove Carol was killed at her campsite. Did Lynn think he did such a good job of destroying their campsite that he obliterated all evidence that at least one shooting occurred there?

Back