List Mgmt. Woodcock, Lienert and Burgoyne delisted (Mayes to be rookied)

Remove this Banner Ad

1. Aliir
2. Jonas
3. McKenzie
4. Clurey
5. Jones
6. Pasini

A fair bit of glass would need to break before we remotely regret this decision.

Aliir is you lose man in defence
Jonas 188cm and 31yo and Lachie Jones his natural replacement if he doesn't move to the midfield
The runt full backs of McKenzie and Clurey one of the same with the natural replacement pasini

We have made a poor decision releasing Liernart unless Finlayson is our new tall defender

I'm not going to war over it but Lienert is actually a good AFL player and this is a bad call. Hope he gets a chance elsewhere.

Woodcock had his moments but ultimately wasn't quite up to it playing a pretty tough position.

Mayes getting re-rookied is a good call, he's reliable and versatile depth.

I'm a bit concerned with this unless we improve our draft hand. Our third pick in the draft right is pick 73. Does that really have a better risk/reward than holding on to Lienert?

Don't forget that pick 73 will probably come into about pick 50 after NGA picks and clubs passing.

Have you seen enough of Pasini to give us a rundown.
More of a sweeper than a 1 on 1 key defender. His best game was probably the last round vs Glenelg.

During the year McKenzie, Clurey, Lienert, Corcoran (when not tagging in the middle) and Goldsack (when not forward) were given the bigger forwards.

Last edited:
Did we have to delist a few guys prior to the draft to have enough open list spots for the picks we want to use to match the Burgoyne bid? Might be why mayes is heading back to the rookie list. Lienert will get another chance I think. A very serviceable back up defender. Woodcock has been solid enough but it always felt like solid was his ceiling. Happy enough.

Lienert seems like a weird one unless they have a few solid dfas in mind. Can't recall him having a bad game at AFL level and was always pretty reliable. Woodcock unfortunately wasn't up to it.

We had too many defenders on the list, particularly flankers, so it's good to remove some of them and hopefully we replace with midfielders or forwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lienert seems like a weird one unless they have a few solid dfas in mind. Can't recall him having a bad game at AFL level and was always pretty reliable. Woodcock unfortunately wasn't up to it.

We had too many defenders on the list, particularly flankers, so it's good to remove some of them and hopefully we replace with midfielders or forwards.
Yep totally agree.

He must've been frustrated but if it's true that cRowie broke the story, then shame on the club for not handling it with more respect.

Fine with this. As harsh as it is, Lienert is a list clogger. Sitting at the edge of the best 22 while being in his late 20's. We still have clurey as depth.

Woodcock didn't improve as well as I thought he would.

Mayes I'm indifferent on. Wouldn't be upset if he was delisted or we rookied him. It will be his last year with us though. Got some good kids coming through that should go past him this year or next.

If we are keeping Motlop I'm glad he is only on 1 year deals. Wouldn't have been upset if he wasn't offered a new contract though.

Aliir is you lose man in defence
Jonas 188cm and 31yo and Lachie Jones his natural replacement if he doesn't move to the midfield
The runt full backs of McKenzie and Clurey one of the same with the natural replacement pasini

We have made a poor decision releasing Liernart unless Finlayson is our new tall defender

Lienert is not a key defender he competes with Jones, bonner , Houston, burton, dbj, plenty in that role

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep totally agree.

He must've been frustrated but if it's true that cRowie broke the story, then shame on the club for not handling it with more respect.

Jarrod has been working at 6PR as an intern - maybe he offered them this 'exclusive' in the hopes of replacing cRowie one day getting a paid gig.

It's all good and well to suggest lienert is a list clogger but the reality is that you are either replacing him with a dfa, who will also be a list clogger, or pick 100 in the draft. It's not really a valid argument.
The DFA might be younger, or better, or play a position that's a greater need for us. Or, in the case of someone like Constable or Dumont, all of the above.

A huge amount of revisionist history here regarding Lienert.

If he never played a bad game then he wouldn't have been dropped and would have been a mainstay in the side ahead of guys like McKenzie and Bonner.

Truth is each of his seasons games followed a similar path. Great first game then progressively got worse until he was dropped. He's a 195cm tall who can't play as a KPD, isn't strong defensively and has one asset which is a booming, yet not often accurate kick.

Jarrod has been working at 6PR as an intern - maybe he offered them this 'exclusive' in the hopes of replacing cRowie one day getting a paid gig.
Oh ok then that makes sense, iirc he did special comments for the sanfl GF. Good luck to him, i've had the odd chat with him over the years... good bloke.

It's all good and well to suggest lienert is a list clogger but the reality is that you are either replacing him with a dfa, who will also be a list clogger, or pick 100 in the draft. It's not really a valid argument.

Every club could say this about every depth player they have every year.

In the end you are either a first 22 player or very close to it, or with the rest of your squad you want them developing to become capable of being a first 22 player. In Lienerts case if you are 27yo and have reached your ceiling which is 26-29th best player on the list, then whats the point of keeping him? If you are keeping all these valid depth players because they provide good depth, then where do you get your list churn from? At what point do you pull the pin on Lienert? We know he'll probably play at a similar level for the next 2-3 years, so do you keep him a then 29-30yo depth player who isn't part of the first 22?

Kane Mitchell, Jimmy Toumpas, Jesse Palmer. All these guys were 'good depth' and could have stayed longer than they did. In the end you want players who could be better, not keep players who won't ever be first 22.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back