List Mgmt. Woodcock, Lienert and Burgoyne delisted (Mayes to be rookied)

jakey

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Yes, you make a good point. If the choice is between Leinert and the #100 Draft pick Lienert will probably finish in front. As far as ability goes most of the DFA's being bandied about are probably no better credentialed than Jarrod Lienert. The only thing I can think of is we are specifically targeting the midfield and want to bolster our depth with a couple of DFAs.

Tbh I am not sure where we are headed here.
We've had Gray, Hoff, Jonas, Ladhams, Howard, Amon and Pearce land at a pick later than the actual pick we'll use in his place. I'd rather have a 1/6 or something chance at a very good player than another dozen games of lienert.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Thought he had some talent, strings were dodgy but thought he might possibly have gone one more.

Expected or not interesting that we announce something like that about a guy who's father grandfather and uncle played for the club at 5.00 on a Saturday.

Says a bit about where the club is at I think.

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
We've had Gray, Hoff, Jonas, Ladhams, Howard, Amon and Pearce land at a pick later than the actual pick we'll use in his place. I'd rather have a 1/6 or something chance at a very good player than another dozen games of lienert.

Your argument really depends on the strength of the Draft and they vary from year to year. You have listed 7 good players from 25 drafts. Good players happen late in the draft, we all know that but what are the chances of it happening in a Draft that is as shallow as 2021 is reported to be?

You under rate Lienert. True, Jarrod was never a best 22 but he gave 100% and was pretty versatile.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Thought he had some talent, strings were dodgy but thought he might possibly have gone one more.

Expected or not interesting that we announce something like that about a guy who's father grandfather and uncle played for the club at 5.00 on a Saturday.

Says a bit about where the club is at I think.

Trent would have been told at his exit interview which I assume would have been some time before the public announcements.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Trent would have been told at his exit interview which I assume would have been some time before the public announcements.

I understand that but my point was that it was released at 5.00 on a Saturday publicly.

A bit like releasing your financials a couple of days before Christmas/New year (we wouldn't do that would we ..... again) or political parties dropping unpopular reports late on a Friday. Small whinge I know but does not sit well with me.

ozph1870

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
dallas cowboys ferrari f1
Clubs cooked.. did nothing about our shocking midfield, got rid of all the solid depth players…

need a very lucky run of injuries next year to remain remotely competitive.

would have been fair enough if we had a few high draft picks and traded in some players we actually needed. But this off season has the hallmarks of a club slumping shocker set to put us back a few years.

JimmyBC

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Clubs cooked.. did nothing about our shocking midfield, got rid of all the solid depth players…

would have been fair enough if we had a few high draft picks and traded in some players we actually needed. But this off season has the hallmarks of a club slumping shocker set to put us back a few years.
Nah aside from Melbourne, WB & Brisbane (on their day) the comp is mediocre we wont fall away much if at all.

ozph1870

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Nah aside from Melbourne, WB & Brisbane (on their day) the comp is mediocre we wont fall away much if at all.
If we stay fit.. a couple of injuries, which is inevitable, and we are severely cooked..
we were fully fit and still butchered it this year…

JimmyBC

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If we stay fit.. a couple of injuries, which is inevitable, and we are severely cooked..
we were fully fit and still butchered it this year…
We really weren't we just had full strength to choose from by the time finals rolled around albeit guys not at their best.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
May get him to train with us over summer, and if his body is sound, can re-draft him in the supplemental draft(s)?

and there is always the mid season Draft. As it stands we have plenty of room on our list so we will probably keep a spot open for mid season. If Trent goes back to the SANFL, gets his body right he could get another crack mid 2022. That is assuming he is eligible for the mid season Draft.

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
I can live with this, so long as we implement the Other Other Operation in which we win a preliminary final.
Every time I hear the words "Preliminary final" I break into a cold sweat, shake uncontrollably, and beat my head multiple times against a brick wall, whilst yelling obscenities profusely.

Enough to make me take up hard drugs!

Willsy10

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

None of the delistings came as a surprise to me. To say the club is cooked based on a couple off season moves not to your liking is a huge overreaction.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Willsy10

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

wtf…we were riddled with injuries last year

Exactly and still won 18 games for the year. But anyone would think we are Fitzroy 1996 if you read the comments on here.

Everyone knows we messed up badly in the prelim but I still think we are around the mark.

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
None of the delistings came as a surprise to me. To say the club is cooked based on a couple off season moves not to your liking is a huge overreaction.
The sheer number of delistings is phenomenal.

Garner
Goldsack
HH
Rocky
Lienert
Woodcock
Burgoyne
Mayes

Finlayson for Ladhams.

So right now we're going to the draft with pick 8 spots. Mayes will take one, Burgoyne will take one. That leaves 6 draft picks.

It's absolutely flabbergasting that we would tear down the list like that when we only have pick 12. That means we could be picking 5 deep selection kids that rarely pan out, that also decrease the competitiveness of the Magpies and hinder the development of our kids, that also decreases the competitiveness of our training internally leading to slow starts, poor depth and less organic growth.

Realistically if we don't pick up at least 2 DFAs, the list management shown here needs to be questioned.

On the surface of it, it is clear Lienert & Woodcock should've remained for 1 more year.

Willsy10

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The sheer number of delistings is phenomenal.

Garner
Goldsack
HH
Rocky
Lienert
Woodcock
Burgoyne
Mayes

Finlayson for Ladhams.

So right now we're going to the draft with pick 8 spots. Mayes will take one, Burgoyne will take one. That leaves 6 draft picks.

It's absolutely flabbergasting that we would tear down the list like that when we only have pick 12. That means we could be picking 5 deep selection kids that rarely pan out, that also decrease the competitiveness of the Magpies and hinder the development of our kids, that also decreases the competitiveness of our training internally leading to slow starts, poor depth and less organic growth.

Realistically if we don't pick up at least 2 DFAs, the list management shown here needs to be questioned.

On the surface of it, it is clear Lienert & Woodcock should've remained for 1 more year.

A couple of those are rookie picks too though aren’t they? Burgoyne and Goldsack?

Besides ladhams we didn’t get many games out of any of the other players listed, and the ones we did get they were predominantly unimpressive.

I don’t rate Woodcock at all, has a bit of a figjam look about him for a player that is pretty ordinary. I’d much rather take a punt on pick 70 in the draft than stick with him for another year when it’s pretty clear he won’t make it.

Lienert is probably the only one slightly stiff as we could’ve held on to him as depth but at 27 years old with only 23 games under his belt it was hardly a surprise.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Who was missing from out finals campaign?
George.. that’s it, the rest had been back for a while
You said we need a lucky run with injuries next year to remain remotely competitive...why?
We finished top 4 this year with plenty of injuries so why do you believe we now need a ‘lucky’ run with injuries next year to remain ‘remotely’ competitive?

ozph1870

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
You said we need a lucky run with injuries this year to remain remotely competitive.
We finished top 4 this year with plenty of injuries so why do you belive we need a lucky run with injuries next year to remain ‘remotely’ competitive?
Delisting all the depth, we need a lucky run of injuries next year to be remotely competitive..
Just do a little depth chart of our current list.. it’s not hard to see where a couple of injuries would seriously derail our season..
injuries are inevitable, every club gets them, every year.

Back