List Mgmt. Woodcock, Lienert and Burgoyne delisted (Mayes to be rookied)

Remove this Banner Ad

Delisting all the depth, we need a lucky run of injuries next year to be remotely competitive..
Just do a little depth chart of our current list.. it’s not hard to see where a couple of injuries would seriously derail our season..
injuries are inevitable, every club gets them, every year.
I agree about Lienert but the others didn’t offer that much at AFL level.
Finlayson will help our forwards and he sort of covers ruck too so losing Ladhams ok.
Also we have quite a few spots to fill.
Maybe reasses when you see who we pick up?

Delisting all the depth, we need a lucky run of injuries next year to be remotely competitive..
Just do a little depth chart of our current list.. it’s not hard to see where a couple of injuries would seriously derail our season..
We have AFL quality depth on all lines:
KPD - Clurey/McKenzie
HBF - Bonner/Jones/Frederick
Mid - SPP/Mayes
Wing - Bergman/Farrell (when fit again)
Ruck - Hayes
HFF - Motlop
KPF - Marshall/Finlayson

Having all three of Woodcock, T Burgoyne & McEntee on the list is a waste.

I probably would have kept one of Garner/Lienert, but i'm happy we seem to be actually rotating our depth, rather than hanging on for two years too long.

We had 17 in season operations, probably half the games we made 2 injury changes and we played 35 players including 6 of the 9 below and we are keeping Mayes and Finlayson comes in for Ladhams.

Of the 35 we debuted Bergman, Jones, Williams, Fredericks and McEntee in the AFL, and Aliir and Fantasia for the club.

We started 2021 with 42 on the list and 9 players without AFL experience Bergman, Jones, Williams, Fredericks, Burgoyne, Hayes, Lord, Mead and Schofield. And Goldsack was there as a soft cap tax dodge, he was never going to play for the A grade.

Garner ....... played 0 games
Goldsack .... played 0 games
Rocky......... played 2 games
Lienert........ played 5 games
Woodcock....played 7 games
HH............. played 10 games
Burgoyne.... played 0 games
Mayes......... played 11 games but is being re rookied
Edit I originally had Mayes as 6 games, but that was a mistake, it was Jones who played 6 games. So of that list above, Mayes is the only one who survives given he played half of the minor round and 0 of 2 finals.

Finlayson for Ladhams. Ladhams played 17 games for us Finlayson 13 for GWS

We had 22 play in the PF and remain on the list (ie Ladhams gone) so our depth and still on the list is Mayes, Georgiades, Clurey, Farrell, Jones, Williams Frederick and we even gave McEntee a game. So that is 30 players + Finlayson = 31 who have AFL experience.

Take Farrell out as he probably wont play SANFL until about Rd 12 and we're back to 30 players with AFL games.

Haven't played AFL yet are Hayes, Lord, Mead and Schofield. Also Pasini who I assume is elevated to main list.

I think that is enough overall depth especially as we will probably take 1 or 2 DFA's and you'd like to think #12 is probably going to be good enough to debut in 2022 and it looks like Hayes and Mead will get games in 2022 if they have a fair run with injury. You don't really want to be playing much more than 35 players on your list.

Hartlett and Rockliff are the big experienced players we cut to our depth and we aren't going to replace those 400 games of experience, but other players have to step up as well as those who did in 2021.

Over all we don't really have a depth issue, but we do in a couple of positions. Need to add 2 ruckmen to the list and should add a true tough close checking KPD ie 195cm+ and 95kg+ to the list.

The Magpies will be a very inexperienced team most weeks compared to a team late in 2021 with Hartlett, Goldsack, Lienert and Clurey playing.

Last edited:
Youd say, we will try trade our next year's first, but at what cost. Dknt think many clubs will want to gamble our first seeing as it likely won't be too high up.

We had 17 in season operations, probably half the games we made 2 injury changes and we played 35 players including 6 of the 9 below and we are keeping Mayes and Finlayson comes in for Ladhams.

Of the 35 we debuted Bergman, Jones, Williams, Fredericks and McEntee in the AFL, and Aliir and Fantasia for the club.

We started 2021 with 42 on the list and 9 players without AFL experience Bergman, Jones, Williams, Fredericks, Burgoyne, Hayes, Lord, Mead and Schofield. And Goldsack was there as a soft cap tax dodge, he was never going to play for the A grade.

Garner ....... played 0 games
Goldsack .... played 0 games
Rocky......... played 2 games
Lienert........ played 5 games
Woodcock....played 7 games
HH............. played 10 games
Burgoyne.... played 0 games
Mayes......... played 6 games but is being re rookied

Finlayson for Ladhams. Ladhams played 17 games for us Finlayson 13 for GWS

We had 22 play in the PF and remain on the list (ie Ladhams gone) so our depth and still on the list is Mayes, Georgiades, Clurey, Farrell, Jones, Williams Frederick and we even gave McEntee a game. So that is 30 players + Finlayson = 31 who have AFL experience.

Take Farrell out as he probably wont play SANFL until about Rd 12 and we're back to 30 players with AFL games.

Haven't played AFL yet are Hayes, Lord, Mead and Schofield

I think that is enough overall depth especially as we will probably take 1 or 2 DFA's and you'd like to think #12 is probably going to be good enough to debut in 2022 and it looks like Hayes and Mead will get games in 2022 if they have a fair run with injury. You don't really want to be playing much more than 35 players on your list.

Hartlett and Rockliff are the big experienced players we cut to our depth and we aren't going to replace those 400 games of experience, but other players have to step up as well as those who did in 2021.

Over all we don't really have a depth issue, but we do in a couple of positions. Need to add 2 ruckmen to the list and should add a true tough close checking KPD ie 195cm+ and 95kg+ to the list.

The Magpies will be a very inexperienced team most weeks compared to a team late in 2021 with Hartlett, Goldsack, Lienert and Clurey playing.
Good list analysis ... Hellova lot better than the in-depth "We are cooked" posts!

So I guess we were better when we had injuries then given our finals performance.

There’d be something to that from a psychological perspective. From battling injuries and grinding out some backs to the wall wins to “SEE I TOLD YOU TO JUDGE US WHEN WE HAD OUR PLAYERS BACK/THE HATERS ARE QUIET ARENT THEY” after tapdancing on the Geriatric Cats at home.

In a similar vein, the nomadic Swans coughed up a shocker against the Saints the week they reunited with their families.

I miss when Port could get the job done without needing to concoct underdog narratives like some scabby unfashionable sh¡tlord club — but then that’s the mentality the current regime has actively fostered.

There’d be something to that from a psychological perspective. From battling injuries and grinding out some backs to the wall wins to “SEE I TOLD YOU TO JUDGE US WHEN WE HAD OUR PLAYERS BACK/THE HATERS ARE QUIET ARENT THEY” after tapdancing on the Geriatric Cats at home.

In a similar vein, the nomadic Swans coughed up a shocker against the Saints the week they reunited with their families.

I miss when Port could get the job done without needing to concoct underdog narratives like some scabby unfashionable sh¡tlord club — but then that’s the mentality the current regime has actively fostered.

This is a great analysis of the psychology most fans interpret. Seems inexplicable... But a strong feature of AFL culture.

That prelim final is a hard one to get over. The most unbelievably inept performance I can remember from a Port side in a final bar 07.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for your service lads and all the best for your future. (Pity we don't have a proper Maggies team for these lads to go too if they aren't recruited).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back