Wooden exercise rings

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 26, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
I did a search but couldn't find anything here...has anyone used them (home gym or otherwise) and what are your experiences? TIA

these ones:

If there IS a thread already pls point it out to me and delete this.

EDIT: two........two rings to rule them all...couldn't resist :p

Last edited:
while my aim has nothing to with the muscle up, they've been hammering the false grip on and on in rings exercises so:

yes be prepared to be humbled, and wobble alot...dips are easy on fixed bars...not so easy on 2 straps/rings, right now I'm just doing the absolute basics but the variety (assisted versions) you can inc. into already well known exercises are great.

ps: I just wrap my 2 straps thru a chinup bar in the door, not too complicated, quite rigid/safe, no I don't intend to 'swing' wildly :D

some nice demos by some pasty seth efriken guy in some aussie backyard...

while it's faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar too soon for me to come to any solid conclusions...I've found that the workouts are much shorter, time saving, yet very tiring...guess I'm using my whole body to stabilise myself in any ring exercise. I 'feel'
thicker...musclewise that is ;)

At worst, when I get back to the weights in 1...2...3...whatever weeks...it would feel like 'new'...wow a new stimulus so in a way the rings would have served their purpose.

got the weirdest sensation trying to 'skin the cat', just half way not all full revolution, as you try to pull your legs up, you try and try and try...until you pull hard thru your ARMS and like magic the legs go up, anyway pls be careful, don't KO yourself.

well it's been pretty good so far..one thing i noticed different to weights is that...yeah the muscles hurt too but seems like there's a depth to it...it hurts bloody 'deep'.

one of my forearm/wrist pain is gone (no rude jokes pls)...no not claiming any miracles, my elbow pains are still there but when i do bicep curl it hurts far less now, hope it will just slowly dissipate to nothing, have tried various techniques, and home medics:

9199f022-15fd-4d2f-9ae5-b635cc428768.b5074fa6111d9f28903a45ed8ab3693e.jpeg

all in vain (pain!). Then i saw this:

it's done wonders so far.

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks for the info. Looks great, I'm considering getting them eventually and doing beginner work to slowly build up to being able to do pull/chin-ups, dips, rear delt flys and hanging knee/leg raises on the rings and add them to my routine.

If I can get strong enough to do 10-12 good reps of each of those movements, then I'm doing well, and maybe I could use a vest to advance further in the exercises rather than break my neck trying to rotate my body full circle like Batman on them. I'm no gifted athlete.

edit: "Weighted ring dips can be performed with a weighted vest, dipping belt around the waist, or by holding a dumbbell, kettlebell, or medicine ball between the legs or feet."

Nice. I'm sure you'd be able to use a vest for pull ups, not sure about flys and raises, but thinking waaaaay too far ahead yet.

But can you do a "skin the cat"?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NO, too bloody scared I might kill myself !!!

(well yes can do half rotation but then don't want to risk tearing my shoulder sockets out going full rotation :sick:)
bit of progression...I have my rings lowish so that when I do full rotation, my feet touch the ground safely and I can feel my shoulder joints not being torn to shreds...then I should progressively move the rings higher and higher

I didn't even see the helpers in the video, now that I saw...here's a tip for ppl going solo when you don't have any friends :( you simply pull hard with your arms and your legs will magically rotate, it is hard to get your head around this concept until you try it and it just works.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back