Woomera

Remove this Banner Ad

Rocky

Senior List
Jan 11, 2002
travelling around Aussie
Other Teams
Collingwood
Why not send all these people back where they come from.
If they want to come to this country,come in the FRONT door and not the back way.
I dont agree with the way the Government (my own opinion)is handling the situation,but 3 years to process a form.....what are they Essendon supporters.
If they can afford $10,ooo to come in the back door,then go home and come in the front door.
Thats my opinion and no political references are made

Gee, Why didnt anyone think of that before Rocky? You are a genius...send an email outlining your plan to Howard and Ruddock. Problem solved.

look at what they have got at woomera, foxtel, swimming pools, SAFETY etc. no, they dont have freedom but thats what happens when you enter OUR country illegally.
they definately shouldnt be let out while they continue to make trouble and not respect our laws. theyre ungrateful i reckon, theyre not paying for anything, taxpayers pay for their food and clothing, medical bills etc, they carry on like theyre not getting a fair deal.
when theres homeless australians on the streets, what is the governments priority? their own people arent coming first are they. maybe the derelicts should go out into the bloody sea over in WA put on one of those hat things, a shawl is it? and pretend theyre from afghanistan and get food and everything basically luxury compared to what theyre use to.
its bullsh1t this, what would anyone with half a brain prefer, to wait for their visas to be processed, or live in a cave in afghanistan or somewhere waiting for a bomb to be dropped on you or step on a bloody land mine or something?

waiting for your visa to be processed is the price you pay when you enter this country ILLEGALLY.

and another thing, how dare they whinge, if they dont like it they can f*ck off back 2 wherever they came from.
if the government backs down and lets them out then theres gonna be a farkin flock of them coming over.

also most of them ARENT refugees bcos they came via pakistan, which is deemed a safe country, therefore they cant pick the cherries out and say 'ohhh no, we're not staying here when we can go somewhere good like australia' theyre not refugees, so hopefully they will be going back.

and if theyre 'legit' refugees (which the majority arent) then why do they throw away their passports? how are we supposed to know theyre not bloody criminals or terroists???

i reckon they should just piss em off back to their own country straight away, they would soon learn to stop bothering to waste their money coming here if they go straight back.

Unless you were to surgically implant microchips, mandatory detention has to happen. Otherwise, if their refugee claim is rejected, how are you going to find them to deport them?
But if they had their paperwork with them and their stories were correct, they shouldn't be in detention very long. But when applications are rejected, they should be sent home quickly - otherwise if they wait in limbo they're more likely to make trouble.

Originally posted by evade28
look at what they have got at woomera, foxtel, swimming pools, SAFETY etc. no, they dont have freedom but thats what happens when you enter OUR country illegally.
they definately shouldnt be let out while they continue to make trouble and not respect our laws. theyre ungrateful i reckon, theyre not paying for anything, taxpayers pay for their food and clothing, medical bills etc, they carry on like theyre not getting a fair deal.
when theres homeless australians on the streets, what is the governments priority? their own people arent coming first are they. maybe the derelicts should go out into the bloody sea over in WA put on one of those hat things, a shawl is it? and pretend theyre from afghanistan and get food and everything basically luxury compared to what theyre use to.
its bullsh1t this, what would anyone with half a brain prefer, to wait for their visas to be processed, or live in a cave in afghanistan or somewhere waiting for a bomb to be dropped on you or step on a bloody land mine or something?

waiting for your visa to be processed is the price you pay when you enter this country ILLEGALLY.

and another thing, how dare they whinge, if they dont like it they can f*ck off back 2 wherever they came from.
if the government backs down and lets them out then theres gonna be a farkin flock of them coming over.

also most of them ARENT refugees bcos they came via pakistan, which is deemed a safe country, therefore they cant pick the cherries out and say 'ohhh no, we're not staying here when we can go somewhere good like australia' theyre not refugees, so hopefully they will be going back.

and if theyre 'legit' refugees (which the majority arent) then why do they throw away their passports? how are we supposed to know theyre not bloody criminals or terroists???

i reckon they should just piss em off back to their own country straight away, they would soon learn to stop bothering to waste their money coming here if they go straight back.

Your must be a very sad and insecure and unloving person but you know what is sadder ?

A lot of your so called fellow orstralians will agree with you..gee we are self destructing in a big way!!

Originally posted by joffa_pies4ever
A lot of your so called fellow orstralians will agree with you..gee we are self destructing in a big way!!
Is there a viable alternative? The only one I can think of would be to surgically implant microchips - but that would be even less palatable than mandatory detention.

Not surprisingly, this thread has only had a few responses to it and already the standard anti-boat people statements have come to the surface

Firstly, there's the oft-stated argument that money is being wasted on these boat people should be spent on Australia's problems in health, education etc..... Guess what, the government has no interest in solving these social problems because they are controlled by big business who want the government to deal with its concerns (like making it easier to employ cheap labour and making Australia "internationally competitve"). The government is just using this issue to channel the general population's frustrations at the deterioating state of society away from themselves and major corporations to an easy scapegoat like the boat people.
Anyone who thinks that the government would give a damn about helping the homeless or the less well-off in society if the boat people were sent back home has got crap for brains.

Secondly, there is the argument that these people should wait in the 'queue' and become genuinue refugees. The refugee system has greatly changed in the last decade, with the refugee influx increasingly becoming business orientated, and the highly skilled given preference for the direct needs of business over those who coming here because they are being persecuted in their homeland and/or aren't highly skilled.

While it's true that people buy their way into this country, you won't find them coming here by a leaky boat. For example, if a person has business assets worth over $300 000, they qualify for resident status on the grounds of "business skills".

Then there's the issue of refugees living in 'luxury' claims in newspapers like the Herald Sun. One wonders how seriously these claims can be taken, as the government has virtually barred the press or anyone from accessing sites like Wommera and seeing what the conditions are really like. Instead, the general public relies on most of its information from Phillip Ruddock, who unsurprisingly makes every effort to put as bad a light on the refugees and their behaviour as possible.

It should be noted the irony in the fact that the Herald Sun has been carrying stories about how awful these "illegal" refugees are for not waiting their turn when the owner of that paper managed to buy his American citizenship in 1985, and can buy his way into any country he liked.

Money isn't everything, but it sure matters a hell of a lot in this society.

Excellent post Wagstaff, I only wish that most people would realize that, but alas they have been brainwashed by the media & the current Goverment. :mad:

Hey whats all this.
I believe that these idiots should come in the front dood,like every one else.I canst stand the way that Howard and Ruddock are performing.
I didnt vote them back in.I believe that they should look at themselves before critising any one else.
These people should be processed in 6 weeks not 2-6 years and then released.
This government STINKS and the people that put them back in should be ??????

An interesting topic, sure to spark some heated debate. It has already given us a good illustrating as to why Austraila, if it is not regarded as one of the biggest redneck countries in the world, it should be.

I'm not sure that i've compleatly made my mind up about this issue yet, but i'll post my thoughts anyway. Wagstaff is correct in his/her?? claims that the government doesn't care about the homeless/poor etc. However, if you extrapolate this you shall see why the government will not relent on their stance. If these unskilled and poor(being unskilled and poor is the key because they become, largely, unproductive factors in the economy) people are released and integrated into society they will, more than likely, add to that already large pool of poor/welfare dependant people. This creates a greater burden on the government and ultimatly the tax payer. This in turn means that the government needs to find more money, they will not raise tax rates because this will exascerbate the problem. Consequently, they have to reduce government spending, in what areas? It will always occur in the areas such as health and education. So to bring it back to the point, once these refugees are relased and people who will protest about anything, because they have nothing better to do with their lives, will forget about the refugees being released and find something else to whinge about and a perenial favourite is the lack of money in health and education (perhaps with a point), all the while having such a short memory that they can't understand that their protestations have significantly contributed to their current campaign. Also if those people were given the choice then they would, almost every time, choose to have the boat people stay at Woomera than have their own standard of living reduced, i therefore do not have a lot of respect for those people.

Apologies for that getting off the point.

As for the boat people being sent home, it depends on the individual and what he or she has done. I believe that those who come through the legal channels deserve priority, however it does seem that those who come on boats have their applications take a ridiculously long time to be processed. However, there is no excuse for some of the actions that have been taken. Sewing childrens lips together amounts to nothing less than child abuse and if any children die as a result its murder. These amount to at the very least jail time and possible deportation for people in society, but because they are refugees any attempt to charge them as such would see it come under the banner of racial vilification. If any of you out there sewed youre childs lips together, regarldess of reason, would be charged and labeled a monster by society. Why should it be any different for non residents.

So in summary, while i sympathasie with the plight of those in the camps i do not want anyone living in my country that would commit some of the acts that have been commited in Wommera recently

Trouble with Howard is that he dont care and the trouble with Ruddock is that he is to frightened to open his mouth.
I say,go back to the 70' and 80's when every one had to come in the right way,prosocute the idiots that are making a fortune getting them past Indonesia and lets get on with life in the Greatest country on earth.

Your must be a very sad and insecure and unloving person but you know what is sadder ?

dont get personal joffa.

why should these people who come here illegally jump the queue???

and why should they be let out so that they can disappear and never be seen again?

also, why should they be eligible for government funding (like the dole) when i cant get it? if i cant get it then why should they?

it is ridiculous that its takes so long to process their applications, though what credit those applications have i wonder.... seeing as they have no ID etc, what, do they just MAKE IT UP?

also im sure if i was stupid enough to enter THEIR country illegally i would be greeted with a machine gun, just because we dont do that here (because we are half civil) doesnt mean that they can do what they like.

Originally posted by evade28
look at what they have got at woomera, foxtel, swimming pools, SAFETY etc.

And we have who's word on this? Ruddock and Howard-We all know what happens to honesty and truth when they are around.
Noone else can get near the place other than their hand picked goons.

theyre ungrateful i reckon, theyre not paying for anything, taxpayers pay for their food and clothing, medical bills etc, they carry on like theyre not getting a fair deal.

Detainees pay for their time in detention. They are clients of ACM

You dont understand the homeless very well for a start.

How is spending $130,000,000, as far as anyone can ascertain the government is keeping hush-hush about how they are spending our money, on an unworkable Pacific Solution helping the homeless? Its not, in fact Howard has anonced an expenditure review comittee to look at funding to welfare services to pay for it.

Will discuss the rest of your post later.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

really ppl if you think there is a "que" have a think about it
does saddam hussein let you fill out forms to go to australia
tyrants and dictators will kill you, your familiy and everyone you love because you may have said something bad about them.
no they wont let you join a lovely que where warm and fuzzy australians are waiting wtih open arms

think

So what is sewing their lips together going to do? Do you think the government will think that they want people like that as citizens of Australia?

And what are they going to do IF they get visas? Most of them probably cannot speak English and they would all end up on welfare and/or the dole eating up even more government money.

because not only do they get that but they get accomodation assistance, free medicare, free english speaking courses and stuff like that.

How would you feel if the government let these people in and then paid their way for basically the rest of their lives, using your money to do so?

Can anyone direct me to woomera ? Sound lovely. as ort of coober peedy with no opals.

I'm actually a pom and ausralia is colloctively scitso on immigrants - so anti yet we are all (or descended from)

One thing summed it all up. When the kosovos came out everyone was falling over themselves to help them. took them to the footy etc etc.

Then a dozen or so had a hissy fit on a bus and the entire nation jacked up on them and they were all ( a few thousnd of them in total) persona non grata. Strange.

And before you all brand me a 'trendy' get this. Being a right wing redneck is trendy these days. Us lefties are definately the unheard of ones.

sewing lips - throwing children overboard

Originally posted by CarterS
So what is sewing their lips together going to do? Do you think the government will think that they want people like that as citizens of Australia?

For me this "sewing lips issue" is becoming exactly like the "throwing children overboard" claim was just before the federal election. Off course it was easily forgotten that severe doubts about the legitmacy of the overboard claims were revealed just before the election.... and the media did their usual job of sweeping the story under the carpet once the election had finished.

I switch off now when I see Howard or Ruddock talking about this issue, but it wouldn't surprise me if Howard was using the same moralistic tone as he did during the children overboard issue like how "we don't want those sort of people blah blah..."

Has anyone got any proof that these parents forced their children's lips to be sewed? Oh, that's right, Phillip Ruddock told us that was the case so it must be true.

Originally posted by Pessimistic
)
One thing summed it all up. When the kosovos came out everyone was falling over themselves to help them. took them to the footy etc etc.

Then a dozen or so had a hissy fit on a bus and the entire nation jacked up on them and they were all ( a few thousnd of them in total) persona non grata. Strange.

And before you all brand me a 'trendy' get this. Being a right wing redneck is trendy these days. Us lefties are definately the unheard of ones.

It's amazing how accomadating the Australian media, government
and sections of the public can be if refugees are sucking up to the Australian government by saying how wonderful this country is.

But as soon as there's even the slightest bit of protest about their living conditions, just see the venom in those comments in the Herald Sun 50-50 column!

And despite claims to the contrary by various columinists such as Andrew Bolt that the left run this country (uni professors have more control over Australian society then Kerry Stokes and Bolt's boss? that makes sense), the tone in the press is invariably right-wing. The closest to an alternative is some column in The Age, where some person from business sector, fearing that Australia's business reputation has been harmed, argues that we should be more "compassionate" towards refugees.

You have hit a point there Pessimistic (and Wagstaff), and will no doubt suffer a torrent of abuse for it. I think perhaps people need the refugees to be 'grateful' by adopting 'australian' ways. European migrants copped it in the 50's onwards, as did those from SE Asia in the 70's. Migrant are required to prostrate themselves at the shrine of Australianess, forever preofessing the greatness of the country, etc. Australia needs to grow up a little.

Australia has always been a conservative country. Anyone who thinks we are a nation of liberal freethinkers is deluded.

and pessimistic, I have made the point on threads like these before that everyone in australia is an immigrant, or ones descendant.

Unfortunately, the phrase 'there but for the grace of God go I' doesnt seem to have much resonance anymore.

These boat people are running away from the very regimes that Australia has fought against.

We have a moral imperative to help these people - they are not que jumpers (show me where the que starts for chrissake ?????),

they are most certainly not terrorists, they are not fanatics, they are not cheats,

they are ordinary everyday people who are risking everything to escape from the very people Australia itself is fighting against.

In 1975, almost as soon as the fall of Saigon, boatloads of Vietnmese people started showing up on Australia's coastline. They were fleeing the new communist regime.

Malcolm Fraser and the Coalition Government at the time let them in, in fact they were welcomed with open arms.

Why ? - becuase Fraser correctly identified these people as being on the same side as us, and, therefore, Australia had a moral imperative to help these people.

With this lot -it seems they are ot interested in a moral imperative - Ruddock is compliant and won't rock the boat. Howard is just a plain old racist who 'feels uncomfortable' around 'ragheads' and other people who don't look like Earlwood Garage Proprietors.

In 1988 he said he 'didn't like' seeing so many "asian faces' on the streets of Sydney - Don't anyone think he has changed his viewpoint - he is the small minded suburban bigot he always was and always will be.

cheers

I thought that Pauline Hanson had quit politics,but it seems that she is alive and well hiding behind a pair of specs,a false smile and a balding head......Mr.Howard I presume.
Who said racism is dead

Originally posted by Bloodstained Angel
Malcolm Fraser and the Coalition Government at the time let them in, in fact they were welcomed with open arms.

Why ? - becuase Fraser correctly identified these people as being on the same side as us, and, therefore, Australia had a moral imperative to help these people.

Fraser KNEW that the Australian population had a fear of an Asian invasion (in essence, not a lot different to the current fears over the current refugees), so he went on a campaign to seel the benefits. He sent his immigration minister (either Fred Chaney or Ian McPhee....can't remember exactly which one) and the shadow immigration minister (Al Grassby) on a tour around the country to speak to the people to calm their fears and sell the benefits of immigration. That is what I call leading public opinion.

I'm all for letting these people in as long as they are genuine.

A couple of questions though.

1) Why is the government taking so long in processing these people? We have had refugees here before and there has not been this kind of problem.

2) How can refugees afford to pay over $10,000 to people smugglers?

In my opinion, genuine refugees should be assisted by this country, but people who are not refugees and are just trying to emmigrate to Australia without going through the proper procedures by paying "people smugglers" large sums of money should not be allowed in.

Originally posted by Briedis
In my opinion, genuine refugees should be assisted by this country, but people who are not refugees and are just trying to emmigrate to Australia without going through the proper procedures by paying "people smugglers" large sums of money should not be allowed in.
No argument there. The problem is what happens while we're working out which ones are genuine and which are not. And unfortunately there's no viable alternative to detention.

Originally posted by Bomber Spirit
And unfortunately there's no viable alternative to detention.

When someone from overseas gets Australian residency, I think the applicant needs someone to put up a bond to ensure that they don't break any of the rules regarding their "probationary" period.

Perhaps the same system could be applied to the refugees. If anyone wants them to be released from detention and into the care of the person or group putting up the bond, they have to pledge a bond ($10,000? $20,000? $50,000? whatever) so that if the applicant for refugee status breaks the law OR doesn't attend any of the meetings for the process of checking their credentials, the bond is forfeited AND the applicant automatically loses the right to continue with their application.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back