News Woosha back at Carlton in a Consultancy Role

Remove this Banner Ad

Did you expect a one on one phone call to seek approval

Could save some time and just run it by us here as a poll.

Genuine silliness in evidence though.

Fans want an experienced offsider for Teague.

Fans get experienced offside for Teague, but some of them are cranky because they wanted someone else who may or may not be interested/have time/be suitable, and also because we should have been told before the paperwork was signed...

Could save some time and just run it by us here as a poll.

Genuine silliness in evidence though.

Fans want an experienced offsider for Teague.

Fans get experienced offside for Teague, but some of them are cranky because they wanted someone else who may or may not be interested/have time/be suitable, and also because we should have been told before the paperwork was signed...

Yeah, why weren't WE consulted?!?!?

:)

Woosha as a mentor=good

Woosha being a mentor part time and via phone from Perth=really bad.

How can you get a handle of what’s going on during team selection, training, match days, in the coaches box and genuine player feedback, unless you are there?

A step in the right direction, but seems a little half baked.

I dont think he's gonna phone it in mate.

He'll spend a few weeks at the club, watch a few games, then come back and repeat a few times in the year to see what's going on, what's improved and what's the same.

I actually kind of like it. It's an independent and external set of eyes on the Coaching and Footy department who can call it as he sees it.

I've been a strong advocate of a 'Director of Coaching' role keeping an eye on things - and while I initially wanted Clarkson to come in for that role, the pressure it would have put on Teague from our feral fan base who would have wanted Teague gone and Clarko in, effectively would undermine Teague.

This kind of works in that it doesnt undermine Teague, and Woosha is a little bit more removed than Clarkson would be.

I like Teague, but am starting to have some doubts about his ability to instill a hardness in the players.

We're 17th for Tackles per Game (meaning our pressure game is non existent), and 18th for Team to Opponent Clangers per game (meaning our opponents are rarely rushed/ pressured into bad decisions, and have time and space to hit up an opponent), while also being 14th for Clangers ourselves (meaning we turn the ball over too much ourselves).

Putting aside everything else, THATS what needs to be fixed up. We need to up our pressure game, tackle, harass, block, pressure and force poor decisions from our opponents (leading to turnovers), and tidy up our own disposal efficiency.

The unholy alliance just haven’t cut the mustard.
Worsfold is a stonekiller.
Hopefully his brief is in part to weed out the weak links and get the show back on the road ...

Perhaps point out who isn't in the unholy alliance, might give us a greater understanding rather than the constant negative agenda of yours

I suppose that's the thing; if it's accountability, I very much doubt there's any issue from any quarter. It's the hint of an agenda that lurks behind the scenes that makes me wary.
What could be done that wouldn't stink of an agenda?

Anything the board does can be framed that way. Even if the motivation/reasoning is sound.

I don’t have a problem with it at all, call the appointment whatever you want but to me it’s about gaining an independent review through the eyes of someone who is in a position to know and understand the nuances of the modern game. He’ll report back to the board no doubt with an informed position of what’s right and what’s wrong, areas you just cannot expect the majority to know, they’re mostly businessman not professional footballers.

There’s nothing wrong with Constant review and change until you find the magic potion. I’d be more concerned about inaction, which is what effectively happened for 15 years.

The board are also doing reviews on list management and development programs, they’re not leaving any stone unturned to make the club great again.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Trawl through the threads and people have been calling for a senior advisor. One gets appointed and there's a half a dozen reasons why it was a mistake.

What the * do you guys/gals want?

Don't like who has been given the role?

Answer me this:
* What where the other options?
* How much did we have to spend in the soft cap?
* Would someone like Lyon or Voss who have a dislike for Carlton done it for those $$?

Or are you angry that it looks like it's a kneejerk to the bad press?
* Does it really matter if we've got the senior assistant/mentor for Teague we've been calling for?

It's like being in a burning house and complaining that the firefighter carrying you out is only there for the paycheck, not because they really care.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe he can do what you want despite the previous relationship, and just maybe the previous relationship will make Teague more receptive to criticism/suggestion.
Maybe, the more I’ve thought about it this scenario of bringing Worsfold in has possibly more with Teagues mother in-laws sad condition and he’s accepted to come over and help out whatever way he can, I’ve possibly jumped the gun a little before taking in the multiple possibilities behind all that is perhaps going on.. Wait and see what happens throughout the year 👍

Last edited:
Trawl through the threads and people have been calling for a senior advisor. One gets appointed and there's a half a dozen reasons why it was a mistake.

What the fu** do you guys/gals want?

Don't like who has been given the role?

Answer me this:
* What where the other options?
* How much did we have to spend in the soft cap?
* Would someone like Lyon or Voss who have a dislike for Carlton done it for those $$?

Or are you angry that it looks like it's a kneejerk to the bad press?
* Does it really matter if we've got the senior assistant/mentor for Teague we've been calling for?

It's like being in a burning house and complaining that the firefighter carrying you out is only there for the paycheck, not because they really care.

Lots of folks wanting Lyon.

I get that.

But the bloke has landed in a cushy media gig where he's getting paid very good money to sit around, talk football, tell everyone how things should be done with absolutely no accountability or recourse to whether his opinions are actually right.

Why would he walk away from a high profile, high value, low accountability media role, to "mentor" a relatively inexperienced senior coach and have half his advice ignored, and the other half put under the microscope to determine whether it's providing value?

Because it's an either/or scenario. He can't do both, not while remaining impartial.

One positive is that Worsfold has None, Zero, relationship, friendship with any player on our list, which is of benefit! He's not here like at * to settle the farm after their drug bans, he's here to assess and assist the coaching group. As long as he has no desire for another senior gig then he's probably the best available choice at present.
Nah just a close one with Judd (footy director) and Teague (coach).

2 identified potential contributors to the malaise.

Described as Teagues close friend as well. Good to see an experienced head, but someone no pre existing relationships is what we want

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

True.
As Sellers said on a video I saw today, we have a nice coach in Teague. We need a bit more edge of a true head coach. I still feel like he is more like an assistant coach in a group of assistant coaches. I do not know where Worsfold headspace is at, hopefully he is not too mellow but he needs to bring out more from Teague of an edge if he is ever going to graduate to be a proper coach.
But if this is all we do to shake up this coaching group I think it won't be enough.
It often seems a player that becomes a coach tends to learn a lot from a coach he played a lot of his football under. For Teague that is Pagan and for me Pagan was a terrible coach at Carlton and taught the Thornton's of this world, nothing but sideways, keepings off football to avoid copping 100 point beltings. It was such a negative way of teaching players and Teague when he came to Carlton played in that team. I worry Teague has not learned to be in premiership winning football cultures and maybe that is why I not seeing enough edge in development of this team. Maybe he is just too nice and does not know what premiership winning football cultures are like to replicate.

I hope Teague has been shaken up and develops as a coach. He probably has this season to truly develop and if Worsfold mentorship does not work it not only probably means the end of Teague as a head coach it also should mean the likes of people that appointed him have to accept the blame and step down too.

All I can say is I hope it works out for all.
Developing Teague to step up to make it as a genuine good coach is certainly the right approach to take in this present time, rather than giving up on him or sacking him mid season. Carlton just cannot afford to ruin so much invested to this point. Changing approach is the best move right now.

Regarding the Bold text above.

Teague was basically appointed by the senior group of players. It was the leadership group and some other regular seniors that approached the board pushing a very strong case for Teague. This may be half the reason Teague plays some of these guys and his reluctance to Drop them. With Worslfold coming across some hard but home truths may be spelled out across the board, and start some serious development of players together with a more effective team of assistant coaches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back