News Woosha back at Carlton in a Consultancy Role

Remove this Banner Ad

Teague's pre-existing relationship may have been one of the reasons why he ok'd the appointment too. Woosha isn't perceived as a threat, so DT is more likely to be open to suggestions/constructive criticism. With a third party, many may be skeptical re: their motivations.

I (and plenty of others) have been crying out for a senior experienced head to over look and mentor Teague and the younger coaches since he was appointed.

I’m glad the clubs have taken steps in the right direction. Woosha wouldn’t have been my first choice but I’m just a nuffy with a membership. We’re a bit off where we need to be but it can change quickly with a shake up like this.

Woosha as a mentor=good

Woosha being a mentor part time and via phone from Perth=really bad.

How can you get a handle of what’s going on during team selection, training, match days, in the coaches box and genuine player feedback, unless you are there?

A step in the right direction, but seems a little half baked.
@DangerousD is it fact he is dialing it in from Perth?!

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Yup Teauge's family matters are urgent and given the impetus of the Media's focus and scrutiny, adding a highly experienced football brain to the coaching team can only be benifical.
He and his family have already been through hell.

Good point.

How about this club gets fair dinkum and we select credentialed permanent operators, of the Balme ilk, not a washed up "consultants", who last won a premiership 15years ago, with a long extinct game style

What an over reaction.

He has come in to consult and mentor the coaches, not to change the *ing game plan!

One flag 15 years ago is one more than we have in 25 FWIW. Let’s give this guy a chance before going all in. He’s not going to make us worse in any case.

So he is doing this job from Perth, with maybe attending a couple of live games....

So riddle me this.

How can he see from Perth match day set up, coach interaction behind scenes, lines of authority, training methods, player reactions, game day pregame motivational tools, in-box communication, parts of field not on TV for player movement, set up, structures, shape

This is a feel good appointment, to placate the media and masses

So he is doing this job from Perth, with maybe attending a couple of live games....

So riddle me this.

How can he see from Perth match day set up, coach interaction behind scenes, lines of authority, training methods, player reactions, game day pregame motivational tools, in-box communication, parts of field not on TV for player movement, set up, structures, shape

Is he? According to who?

Historically, Worsfold's strengths are:

- Working well with the high performance team
- Getting players more engaged in developing themselves within a structure
- Maintaining morale and motivating players to give their best efforts
- Stoppage structures and transition football

And weaknesses:

- Inflexible tactics within games
- Preference for speed/endurance mix to a silly degree (eg. would never have acquired a player like Cripps, as shown by Essendon's list strategy)
- Somewhat toxic cultures seem to follow him (West Coast scandals, recent Essendon player culture)

In a consultancy role, he could offer a lot, particularly if he's able to offer some organisational insight to the board and those overseeing the football department to accentuate the work he does with the coaches.

If we're right about Barker, what Worsfold is doing for us should reveal the issues.

Amateur hour decision, we need someone who can fully tell it how it is, someone who can help teach Teague and others in actually making the hard “easy” calls... not another close working friendship from the past, can’t believe we have gone down this path...

Yep. Spot on. Teaugue himself said that he speaks to Worsfold already. So this just formalises that relationship and now we have to pay for it. How have the informal chats worked out so far. I would have preferred someone completely independent to come in assess and mentor as they see fit. Worsfold himself has said that match day tactics and strategy weren't his strong point. His says his strength was man management. Maybe he can assist in this regard as its very important, but how much has DT already shared with Worsfold in relation to this and what advice has he already given DT that has not worked?

Woosha as a mentor=good

Woosha being a mentor part time and via phone from Perth=really bad.

How can you get a handle of what’s going on during team selection, training, match days, in the coaches box and genuine player feedback, unless you are there?

A step in the right direction, but seems a little half baked.

So riddle me this.

Says who?

Understand the angst but at least let him do his job before we burn him at the stake, not sure why they didn't properly persist with a mentor in the early days, Walls certainly helped, but there's no shame in having someone there until you feel comfortable to go out alone.

1619078636455.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a huge concern. Worsfold has been assisting Teague so there really is no change, just more formalised.
My issue is, the current status quo won’t change and more importantly we will probably not get any new fresh ideas, since they have already been working together for months. If this doesn’t set alarm bells in how our club is being run, then I don’t know what does.

Remove Lloyd now and let’s get some true, clean, fresh value from within the Football Managers department.

Trawl through the threads and people have been calling for a senior advisor. One gets appointed and there's a half a dozen reasons why it was a mistake.

What the fu** do you guys/gals want?

Don't like who has been given the role?

Answer me this:
* What where the other options?
* How much did we have to spend in the soft cap?
* Would someone like Lyon or Voss who have a dislike for Carlton done it for those $$?

Or are you angry that it looks like it's a kneejerk to the bad press?
* Does it really matter if we've got the senior assistant/mentor for Teague we've been calling for?

It's like being in a burning house and complaining that the firefighter carrying you out is only there for the paycheck, not because they really care.

They want to whine, no matter what. As you said, many of us have been calling for such an appointment, I'm rapt that something has happened and have an open mind on Worsfold.
I recall similar reactions when it was announced that Craig would come to Carlton after his time at Essendon had ended.

This is a step in the right direction, I like it a lot.

I love this appointment. It is unlikely to pay off immediately though. I envisage an opportunity for our coaching group to have an opportunity for growth and development. Worsfold has played and coached in premierships and many final’s series and has the respect of the AFL community. Seemed to whelp through a crappy season last year and I don’t hold it against him.

If our coaching team doesn’t respond then, that’s on them. Same with the players, respond to the angst or, time to move on.

Whilst I, like most, have been calling for Teague to have a senior mentor, based on the timing and role description one can't easily shake the feeling that this is perhaps more a marketing exercise to appease the masses and settle the media than a genuine planned and constructive change. Or perhaps an existing relationship that's now being communicated due to our position? Hope I'm wrong and that Worsefold offers more as a coaching mentor than he has appeared to provide as senior coach the last few years.

What do we all gripe about beyond on the ground stuff. Line coaches and team selection. Right?

If someone who has experience, is respected, and mighta just have some finals experience. That person might be able to look at our ‘systems’ and be able to isolate issues, wrong assistants, wrong players for game plan etc.

from the little experience I have from working in large orgs, is that it can be hard to see what’s clearly an issue that to an outsider is obvious.

If Teague respects woosha then I really can’t see how this will do anything but increase the ‘learnings’ 😅

Teague's pre-existing relationship may have been one of the reasons why he ok'd the appointment too. Woosha isn't perceived as a threat, so DT is more likely to be open to suggestions/constructive criticism. With a third party, many may be skeptical re: their motivations.
I think our assistants have been hand picked by Teague so as not to be a threat to him. Very strange that a newish coach would have all low profile less experienced assistants

Lots of folks wanting Lyon.

I get that.

But the bloke has landed in a cushy media gig where he's getting paid very good money to sit around, talk football, tell everyone how things should be done with absolutely no accountability or recourse to whether his opinions are actually right.

Why would he walk away from a high profile, high value, low accountability media role, to "mentor" a relatively inexperienced senior coach and have half his advice ignored, and the other half put under the microscope to determine whether it's providing value?

Because it's an either/or scenario. He can't do both, not while remaining impartial.
Exactly. Would need big $ to entice him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back