News Woosha back at Carlton in a Consultancy Role

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a huge fan of Woosha, but I think he had zero care factor after * implemented a succession plan he wasn't on board with. Don't think he had a lot of time for Rutten who seems pretty unimpressive as a coach.
Agree with this.
He got dealt a huge s**t sandwich at Tulla. No wonder his heart wasn't in it in his final year.

Have to admit, I was wrapped at this announcement earlier today.
Thought, finally the club gets it, we are going to make change and shake it up.

Just found out it's not full time and being done from Perth..
Worsfold not being at the club, has soured my excitement..

Starting to look more like a PR stunt.. Damn :sadv1:

Have to admit, I was wrapped at this announcement earlier today.
Thought, finally the club gets it, we are going to make change and shake it up.

Just found out it's not full time and being done from Perth..
Worsfold not being at the club, has soured my excitement..

Starting to look more like a PR stunt.. Damn :sadv1:
Exactly my thoughts as well

One positive is that Worsfold has None, Zero, relationship, friendship with any player on our list, which is of benefit! He's not here like at * to settle the farm after their drug bans, he's here to assess and assist the coaching group. As long as he has no desire for another senior gig then he's probably the best available choice at present.
That is a pretty SAAD statement.

If he's doing it from Perth, honestly it's just a continued mentor role and by 'formalising it' they mean Worsfold has realised he can hit up the club for easy $$$ and/or Teague looking after him.

That in itself is fine if Teague is getting value from it but I'm not expecting it to produce any significant changes, other than a bit of growth in DTs journey.

Sounds like Teague sees the benefit, which is what the role is about. Hope he hits up the bosses for another assistant as well, the cash is there- if his job is starting to get a little pressure he may as well ask for as much help as he can acquire.

I dont think he's gonna phone it in mate.

He'll spend a few weeks at the club, watch a few games, then come back and repeat a few times in the year to see what's going on, what's improved and what's the same.

I actually kind of like it. It's an independent and external set of eyes on the Coaching and Footy department who can call it as he sees it.

I've been a strong advocate of a 'Director of Coaching' role keeping an eye on things - and while I initially wanted Clarkson to come in for that role, the pressure it would have put on Teague from our feral fan base who would have wanted Teague gone and Clarko in, effectively would undermine Teague.

This kind of works in that it doesnt undermine Teague, and Woosha is a little bit more removed than Clarkson would be.

I like Teague, but am starting to have some doubts about his ability to instill a hardness in the players.

We're 17th for Tackles per Game (meaning our pressure game is non existent), and 18th for Team to Opponent Clangers per game (meaning our opponents are rarely rushed/ pressured into bad decisions, and have time and space to hit up an opponent), while also being 14th for Clangers ourselves (meaning we turn the ball over too much ourselves).

Putting aside everything else, THATS what needs to be fixed up. We need to up our pressure game, tackle, harass, block, pressure and force poor decisions from our opponents (leading to turnovers), and tidy up our own disposal efficiency.

The more hands on the better, I hope he’s serious about the role.

From Tommy Browne "They have been in discussions since February, it’s not a reaction to their recent form," he said.

lol, just a strange coincidence.

If this is correct then that would cause more questions than answers !

Neil Balme was available at the start of the year and is the perfect person for this position and was chased by the Crows and GWS i believe but decided not to accept and move interstate and re signed very late with the Tigers in a limited role. Was well and truly available and on the market

Why wouldnt the Blues chase like crazy to get Balme over to carlton. Crazy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Neil Balme was available at the start of the year and is the perfect person for this position and was chased by the Crows and GWS i believe but decided not to accept and move interstate and re signed very late with the Tigers in a limited role. Was well and truly available and on the market

Because the club is a basket case

Seems like it was decided to clear the historical debt this year, which was a surprise after the Covid financial hit. Tipping some extra into the football department might have been wiser.

Not sure anyone here knew that.
Our club should have been all over that.
Maybe Balme didn't want to know about it? There'd be a few football people out there vary wary of the Carlton lynch mob/club board.
I think the white hoods at the AGM may have given away a bit much...

Says who?

The quotes from Brad Lloyd in the SEN article make it sound that way.

He will observe a couple of games this year.

Worsfold, who returned to Perth after his time with the Bombers, will consult by being in “regular contact with the coaching group”.

The above doesn’t sound like someone who is doing the role full time or basing themselves in Melbourne.

Marketing appointment which could be a good change but:
Make some real changes
Barker needs to go as do some of the other assistants
Teague needs top class people around him not B graders
We need to get away from a "things could be worse attitude" back to what Carlton was always about, which is how do we remain the best and how do we make things better.
No more settling with mediocrity
Like Woosha, started at the Blues and has a good connection to the spirit of the place.

Well that's exactly it isn't it?....

Didn't we sack a CEO because he was FIFO from Adelaide?

But now all members should rest easy because now we have coaching mentor, but he will be based 3000kms aways.

The word TOKEN comes to mind. He was already mentoring Teague, now he just gets paid for it.

The more things change...

Hey, he’s conveniently in MEL for this weekend’s game.
Reckon vs Fremantle @ Optus will be a good opportunity too.
KPI’s met on games attended.

Lots of folks wanting Lyon.

I get that.

But the bloke has landed in a cushy media gig where he's getting paid very good money to sit around, talk football, tell everyone how things should be done with absolutely no accountability or recourse to whether his opinions are actually right.

Why would he walk away from a high profile, high value, low accountability media role, to "mentor" a relatively inexperienced senior coach and have half his advice ignored, and the other half put under the microscope to determine whether it's providing value?

Because it's an either/or scenario. He can't do both, not while remaining impartial.

I think Ross is quite happy where he is. Can't see him coaching again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back