Mega Thread Celebrating Kora the Companion Dog-the Casual Chat Thread: Part Deux

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thanks Mebby :)

It's not a sobbing into the pillows feeling, it's just... a bit crap. Even though I'm more or less confident that yes will get up, having the majority vote on the rights of a minority is really not great. The only thing I have found a little bit hurtful is going to Yarraville or Albert Park or Coburg or Footscray, and every second house has a yes poster and every second telegraph pole is rainbow wrapped - and here in Werribee the only sign of rainbows I've seen is on the back of my own car. And it's also kinda why I'm not as positive about the outcome as many seem to be - their bubble is overwhelmingly in favour, sure, but mine isn't.

Thanks Mebby :)

It's not a sobbing into the pillows feeling, it's just... a bit crap. Even though I'm more or less confident that yes will get up, having the majority vote on the rights of a minority is really not great. The only thing I have found a little bit hurtful is going to Yarraville or Albert Park or Coburg or Footscray, and every second house has a yes poster and every second telegraph pole is rainbow wrapped - and here in Werribee the only sign of rainbows I've seen is on the back of my own car. And it's also kinda why I'm not as positive about the outcome as many seem to be - their bubble is overwhelmingly in favour, sure, but mine isn't.
It’s just a survey, who knows what the eventual outcome will be. One of the most gutless and stupid things I’ve ever seen the government do. Don’t let it get to you, sometimes change takes time and a lot of bullshit. It’s a f***** joke that in 2017 in Australia there are people who still don’t have equal rights.

I'm nervous. My best friend started coming out last year at the age of 33 and so far has only come out to his closest friends. If the result is a no it might stop him from telling anyone else since he was already struggling with it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm nervous. My best friend started coming out last year at the age of 33 and so far has only come out to his closest friends. If the result is a no it might stop him from telling anyone else since he was already struggling with it.
Tell him not to worry and live his life the way he wants..its too short.
My nephew is openly gay, hes just become a barrister and cant be happier, he says he cant imagine trying to hide it anymore, it was like being ashamed of who he is. Overall no one gives a toss and he is treated exactly like he always has been..the majority of people are good..we only see the dickheads in the news. Its just terrible people in our wonderful country have to feel this way still though. Good luck to your friend :rainbow: May he live and enjoy!

Last edited:
It’s just a survey, who knows what the eventual outcome will be. One of the most gutless and stupid things I’ve ever seen the government do. Don’t let it get to you, sometimes change takes time and a lot of bullshit. It’s a f***** joke that in 2017 in Australia there are people who still don’t have equal rights.

It's ridiculous on so many levels, but I'm most amazed that coming in under budget is seen as something to be celebrated. :$

Putting aside that it shouldn't have come to this anyway. They should've made it a binding referendum that happened alongside an election (like the yanks do). Perhaps then the 'no' campaign's BS might've also got lost amongst general election messages.

Still, it's over now, the 'no' vote can EAD. :rainbow:

61.6% is a huge result.
Over to you Canberra.

They voted at 74%. ;)

Still, must admit, I'm surprised by the margin. Perhaps it's just my monkeysphere but I expected a bigger landslide. It's slightly concerning that there's as many as 38% of adult voters who'd vote no to this, though I guess that's mostly just old people. :drunk:

It's ridiculous on so many levels, but I'm most amazed that coming in under budget is seen as something to be celebrated. :$

Putting aside that it shouldn't have come to this anyway. They should've made it a binding referendum that happened alongside an election (like the yanks do). Perhaps then the 'no' campaign's BS might've also got lost amongst general election messages.

They voted at 74%. ;)

Still, must admit, I'm surprised by the margin. Perhaps it's just my monkeysphere but I expected a bigger landslide. It's slightly concerning that there's as many as 38% of adult voters who'd vote no to this, though I guess that's mostly just old people. :drunk:
I was a bit shocked that nearly 40% of Australians still live in the dark ages.

I was a bit shocked that nearly 40% of Australians still live in the dark ages.

Not really....There was a 79% voter participation....So it's effectively 38% of 80% of the population.

You'd reckon that those who couldn't be arsed voting, just don't give enough of a s**t about it....So that 38% would likely reduce to 30% at best.....And most of those would be conservative religious bible bashing types....Highly predictable.

They voted at 74%. ;)

They wanted to make it a binding referendum. Labor and the Greens voted it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back