Words you have trouble understanding in other countries (and vice versa)

Remove this Banner Ad

Backish Mush (Bacchus Marsh) - my kids still give me grief over it. It's how I pronounced it for the last 50 years, get over it.

Sans, as in French for without. Until my mid-20s I always pronounced it "sans" as in fans. Until some prick sfellowed at me and said it was "sonce" as in nonce. How the fu** was I meant to know, I did German at school du schwanzlutscher.

Also the cheese-eating surrender monkeys had me with svp. "I weel have le burger sans sauce, svp." I called it sivvip. Not s'il vous plaît. Ess scheisse und stirb, Frösche.

That prick was wrong. Its 'sahn'.

Had a run in with an obnoxious American in Paris. The details of the story arent important (but are pretty funny) in any event he comes marching very loudly up to me (total tourist, giant map, backpack, and camera around my neck) and SCREAMS at me

"PAAAAR LAAAAAAY VIEW ENGLISH"

I chuckled and quietly replied "yes, i speak English".

Had a run in with an obnoxious American in Paris. The details of the story arent important (but are pretty funny) in any event he comes marching very loudly up to me (total tourist, giant map, backpack, and camera around my neck) and SCREAMS at me

* Americans are the worst overseas. I was at Shanghai airport years ago in a cafe, American woman walks in all shitty and asks Chinese waitress "Do you have Starbucks here?", waitress doesn't understand English but is trying to figure out what she means.

American woman: "DO? YOU? HAVE? STARBUCKS? HERE?"

This apparently didn't make it any clearer to the waitress, she was about to get a colleague to help understand the question when the American woman rolls the eyes and says "Ah forget it!" All class.

And what did he say?

My wife struggles to pronounce 'peripheral'

And what did he say?
Ill shorten it but

Yank - Oh thank god, were lost, where are we at the moment (as he tried to push into my map)
Me - Ahh thats the Saint Chapelle Catherdral and were on this bridge so were on the Saint Chappelle bridge right here (its got a name but i cant remember it)
Yank - Oh no, thats wrong youre wrong (as he tried to take my map)
Me - Listen mate, i dont think i am, but even if i am, im in paris, on holiday, its a beautiful day, if im lost so be it.
Yank - Well what am i supposed to do
Me - I dont know, get your own map i guess
Yank - *walks away muttering to himself about some rude English guy*

Remove this Banner Ad

Back