Words you have trouble understanding in other countries (and vice versa)

Remove this Banner Ad

I have trouble with cinnamon if I over think it. If I just spit it out, I'm usually fine. Sometimes it will come out as synonym which is close enough to get away with.

But if I start thinking about how it's pronounced I'm likely to end up with cimmomimium. At which point I'll just say "nutmeg" and have someone correct me.

Yeah cinnamon gets me too. Usually comes out as sim-ma-men

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm usually pretty good with European names/places/pronunciations (who needs to learn languages when you grww up watching soccer on SBS with Les Murray and Tony Palumbo?) but I battle with some of the islander names in the rugby.

All the apostrophes throw me off, plus I've seen the letter C pronounced many ways with/without diacritics. Cat, chat, sat, tzat... Meanwhile Caucaunibuca somehow comes out 'thow thow'.

Ironically, ‘pronunciation’.

I embedded a lot of mispronunciations in my head as a kid, because I was a voracious reader and often spent years reading a word before I ever heard or spoke it.

There’s still a lot of words I seldom use that, when I do, I pronounce completely wrong. I know the correct way to say them - it’s just via force of mental habit from 25+ years ago. That’s how those words have always ‘sounded’ in my head.

What about words you find difficult to spell- even seemingly easy ones.

It took me years to finally get restaurant correct- just getting that u in the right spot. :$

I am unable to spell guaranteed.

WTF!? I actually got it right first time then. Practically never happened before. I'm quitting now while I'm ahead.

Ironically, ‘pronunciation’.

I embedded a lot of mispronunciations in my head as a kid, because I was a voracious reader and often spent years reading a word before I ever heard or spoke it.

There’s still a lot of words I seldom use that, when I do, I pronounce completely wrong. I know the correct way to say them - it’s just via force of mental habit from 25+ years ago. That’s how those words have always ‘sounded’ in my head.
Yeah “silhouette” was one of those for me.

But I knew the word! I’d heard it spoken! Because I’d read it long before I heard it, I pronounced it in my head as “syle-howt” for years during primary school.

I am unable to spell guaranteed.

WTF!? I actually got it right first time then. Practically never happened before. I'm quitting now while I'm ahead.

Inconveinience

GOD DAMN IT. incorrect.

Inconvenience

Ffs. 3rd try for the record

'chief' for me. lucky I don't have to use it often. sheriff as well - for some reason I always go through sherriff, sherif, sherrif then sheriff. and sometimes sheffirr if I'm really out of it.
There was that one time about 15 years ago I made a typo and spelled it with an ‘r’...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back