Words your parents use..

Remove this Banner Ad

May 19, 2004
Werribee
AFL Club
Hawthorn
that just aren't appropriate to use anymore.

Calling an ottoman a "NTTAWWT" and transistor radio a "tr@nny".

Just a few I can think of atm..

Do your parents use anything that you shake your head at? Or is it just me?

Edit: Well there you go, Tr@nny is in the world filter!

My dad constantly refers to a bundle of sticks and twigs by their correct term which is no longer acceptable in modern society.

images

My mum worked as a nurse in an indigenous community. The local word for angry was mirrumbumba. Growing up, whenever mum said she was getting mirrumbumba we knew we better pull our heads in. She uses it on the grandkids these days

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I've heard 'chogy' also. Never from anyone under the age of about 50 and never outside Australia. Young people just use established racial terms like 'chink' or 'gook'.

My old man doesn't really use many words that have gone out of fashion or been bant but he does refer to businesses/utilities that don't exist any more like SECWA, R&I and Challenge Bank. 'Just going to pop into R&I'. Yep, righto - hasn't been called that since 1994 but OK. He does say tr@nny for transistor radio but that's hardly offensive in my book.

I wonder how you'd go today asking a young smoker 'can I bum a f**, mate?'. That has definitely gone out of vogue.

I wonder how you'd go today asking a young smoker 'can I bum a f**, mate?'. That has definitely gone out of vogue.

Not sure if that expression has gone out of style yet but you definitely get some shocked looks if you say that to Americans.

My dad constantly refers to a bundle of sticks and twigs by their correct term which is no longer acceptable in modern society.
Had to look this up

I've never heard that word in anything other than it's derogatory sense

Chogies, however it's spelled. Apparently something the Asians or Chinese got called in the 80s.

Haven't heard that one for a long long time

Sputs was another term that was used in high school back then

My dad, for example, he's not as cosmopolitan or as educated as me and it can be embarrassing you know. He doesn't understand all the new trendy words - like he'll say "NTTAWWTs" instead of "gays", "birds" instead of "women", "darkies" instead of "coloureds".
haha...nice Gareth

My dad, for example, he's not as cosmopolitan or as educated as me and it can be embarrassing you know. He doesn't understand all the new trendy words - like he'll say "NTTAWWTs" instead of "gays", "birds" instead of "women", "darkies" instead of "coloureds".
There's a bloke at work in his young 20's who calls girls birds. Floored me the first time I heard it from someone younger than 40.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back