Food, Drink & Dining Out Work fridge etiquette

Remove this Banner Ad

Small lock box container. Put your goods in the lock box and use a decent lockwood lock to secure it.

When you need to use it, just open up your secure box and use.

I can't believe it's not communal butter!

ENagATV1Gr9eg.gif

1. No passive aggressive notes. Ever. Not worth it.

2. If you bring a staple and there exists a communal equivalent, there is nothing wrong with labeling it with your name. Folks at my work used to do it to milk. People honestly get confused.

3. If such staple has no communal equivalent you could consider a coin jar where people put in 10c to use it. Use money to buy the stuff and say extras go to charity or something.

4. Putting it in a committed bag or lunchbox is not a bad idea if it is still getting stolen.

Claiming morning tea leftovers is not cool.

If it's a small office, whoever put on the morning tea has discretion over any leftovers.

If it's a large office, they go into the kitchen to be swooped upon by hungry vultures not involved in the morning tea.

Claiming morning tea leftovers is not cool.

If it's a small office, whoever put on the morning tea has discretion over any leftovers.

If it's a large office, they go into the kitchen to be swooped upon by hungry vultures not involved in the morning tea.

I'm a massive fan of being the hungry vulture to free morning tea. Looking forward to the random lady in marketings birthday tomorrow so I can swoop on some cake and twiggy sticks

The workplace i am currently working at has a lunch room with two fridges.
I store some cheese and margarine/butter in the fridge to use for snacks.
About a month ago, i noticed some of my cheese and butter had been used, but the culprit came forward and actually replaced the butter, so it wasn't such a big deal.
Last week, i purchased a new tub of margarine and put it in the fridge and hadn't used it until today when i have a look and noticed that it had been used.
There wasn't just a couple scrapes been used, about a 1/3 of the tub had been dug out and used.
If a couple scrapes had been used, i could've dealt with that, but to find that 1/3 of the tub is gone, i am actually quite annoyed.
I have come up with a few options to get around this issue.
1) Bring a cooler bag and store my food in that.
2) Label my goods. I have a feeling this would just make the culprit want to annoy me.
3) Put a sign on the fridge acknowledging my annoyance at the problem
4) Send an email around expressing my annoyance.
5) Just take it as a loss and move on

I personally don't go into the fridge and treat it as my own deli and pinch whatever goods i can find, if i don't have something, i will go without it or just go get some myself.
However, at this workplace, that doesn't seem to apply to some people.

What does the BigFooty world think?

Have you tried using avocado instead?

Surely you've got bigger dramas at work than a margarine thief? It costs a few dollars and you're willing to waste your time writing an email or bringing in a cooler bag? Why not just bring in an esky and padlock ffs

He's acting like it's beer or something!

Label it /put it in a container (lunchbox) if you don't want others to use it ;)
I'm sure your colleagues thought it was communal
At my work - everything has to be labeled /dated /timed or else it's either
-considered communal (if it's something generic like jam/cheese etc)
-chucked out (if clearly left overs which have been there for a few days )

grimes298914.jpg

To the OP, cook some chilli con carne and make a portion that has Blair's death sauce added to it. Problem solved :)

Someone stole my afternoon snack from the fridge years ago. Yogurt or a Pepsi can? Wasn’t happy to say the least. Turned out to be a weirdo cleaner, at least I think it was because he got fired some time later for being seen stealing people's food.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OP must be a school teacher. He has put together an Advisory Committee to, at their discretion, communicate the appropriate form of reprimand to address this behaviour.

A meeting will then be held at 3.30pm.

OP must be a school teacher. He has put together an Advisory Committee to, at their discretion, communicate the appropriate form of reprimand to address this behaviour.

A meeting will then be held at 3.30pm.

No he would be a bureaucrat. What makes you think school teachers are any different and just want to knock off after a hard days work? After teaching all day the last thing I would personally want to do would be to attend a useless ******* meeting.

What makes you think school teachers are any different and just want to knock off after a hard days work? After teaching all day the last thing I would personally want to do would be to attend a useless ******* meeting.
Because they don't work hard. They knock off at 3.30 for christ sakes haha.

Unless the butter is labelled or put in a separate bag/box in the fridge then it would be perfectly reasonable to assume it's communal butter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back