Business & Finance Workforce & Business Changes, Layoffs, BCPs

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't really have an opinion on it- but what is this thread's opinion: is it time to close the schools?

I believe Victoria are adding two more student free days as a prelude to organising a home based curriculum post Easter.

Whatever the decision is it should be based on science, not what a bunch of handwringers or the teachers union think.

What I never hear addressed is when the kids will be allowed to come back?

I believe Victoria are adding two more student free days as a prelude to organising a home based curriculum post Easter.

Whatever the decision is it should be based on science, not what a bunch of handwringers or the teachers union think.

Its always easier to say 2 weeks and then add to it than say Xmonths straight away

I’m on maternity leave so if the boss decides to start making redundancies it’ll be quite easy to give me the flick. I work in hospitality so s**t is gonna get real, fast.

You’re the safest as the legal risk is massive

Have been WFH all week, except Wednesday - went into the office but most of the office was WFH so I had the entire office to myself, and the entire CBD too it looked like. I was already WFH at last once a week and it was standard practice for people to do so, so not a difficult adjustment.

Most of my clients are now WFH - so now also have to get used to putting an appropriate shirt on and switching on my webcam when dialling into meetings.

I work in the Finance industry (actually I work for a debt collection company doing accounting/payment processing sort of stuff)

The team I’m in has just started working from home this week and I know for myself it’s been a huge paradigm shift.
Not seeing anyone else during the day actually takes a toll on your mental health I have found...though it’s only been two days so far....but still a big change for myself at this time.

The remote desktop environment was super sluggish yesterday (probably because of 560 staff logging on!)
Other than that it’s still the same workload at this time even with working from home.

The one thing on my mind however is how many people out there will be able to service their debts moving forward if job losses skyrocket over the next 6 months?
Makes me wonder how that will hit the company’s bottom line in light of that (though on the flip side of that we aren’t spending money on international and domestic travel at this time too plus other associated costs)

As a teacher my job is fairly secure but I'm not that far off retiring age and my super, which is my only means of financing my retirement is taking a beating. And I have not heard one teacher complain or whinge so GAGF Messenger. None of us stand to profit from this pandemic so I'm not sure why it's all become a teacher-bashing exercise.

As a teacher my job is fairly secure but I'm not that far off retiring age and my super, which is my only means of financing my retirement is taking a beating. And I have not heard one teacher complain or whinge so GAGF Messenger. None of us stand to profit from this pandemic so I'm not sure why it's all become a teacher-bashing exercise.

No problem raskolnikov. There’s dozens of them on social media (twitter is full of them) and the usual suspects like Jane Caro crapping on about how no one cares about the teachers and the schools should be shut.

Truth is we’re all bear some risk given the nature of the virus. The team that i look after are part of that (and it is potentially the nature of the job) but don’t tell me the teacher unions and social media are organising around school closures.

A portion of Healthcare workers will be out of action for an indefinite period when the schools shut. I just want the decision to be science based, not political.

No problem raskolnikov. There’s dozens of them on social media (twitter is full of them) and the usual suspects like Jane Caro crapping on about how no one cares about the teachers and the schools should be shut.

Truth is we’re all bear some risk given the nature of the virus. The team that i look after are part of that (and it is potentially the nature of the job) but don’t tell me the teacher unions and social media are organising around school closures.

A portion of Healthcare workers will be out of action for an indefinite period when the schools shut. I just want the decision to be science based, not political.

If schools do close teachers will be responsible for teaching online from home so it's not as if we're just going to be given extended holidays. My biggest fear is that kids may present as asymptomatic. I have an 87 year old mother who I see regularly. If a kid passes it on to me unwittingly I may pass it on to my mum. As a 52 year old diabetic I'm not without risk myself. Thankfully I do Crossfit. ;)

If schools do close teachers will be responsible for teaching online from home so it's not as if we're just going to be given extended holidays. My biggest fear is that kids may present as asymptomatic. I have an 87 year old mother who I see regularly. If a kid passes it on to me unwittingly I may pass it on to my mum. As a 52 year old diabetic I'm not without risk myself. Thankfully I do Crossfit. ;)
At 52 you're nowhere near retirement age Rasko, don't stress about your super as in 5 years time it'll be at worst better than it was a year ago. As a crossfitter a lot of your type will be quarantined, come up with a home cross fit workout and watch the cash roll in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yes, the teachers will no doubt have to teach a program but if my nine Year old son is doing his grade 3 lessons from home, either my wife or I will need to be around for safety and to make sure he doesn’t wander off and log onto the PS4...

The rate of undiagnosed cases is likely a factor of ten higher than known cases and given the spectrum of outcomes likely to remain the case.

yes, the teachers will no doubt have to teach a program but if my nine Year old son is doing his grade 3 lessons from home, either my wife or I will need to be around for safety and to make sure he doesn’t wander off and log onto the PS4...

The rate of undiagnosed cases is likely a factor of ten higher than known cases and given the spectrum of outcomes likely to remain the case.
Talk was in the UK schools would remain open for the kids of essential service workers

I'm a welder in a factory. Naturally can't work from home. We have been warned a couple of days ago there will be redundancies.

If we go into lock down who knows if we will continue. There seems to be stuff all information about manufacturing. All of it seems to be related to retail and office people.
I personally don't think shutting down supply chains is a bright idea. It could stuff up components for life saving equipment.

When will anyone allowed to return let alone the kids? They've clearly not thought how they're going to return everything back the way it was.

I'm a welder in a factory. Naturally can't work from home. We have been warned a couple of days ago there will be redundancies.

If we go into lock down who knows if we will continue. There seems to be stuff all information about manufacturing. All of it seems to be related to retail and office people.
Other countries have seemed to class manufacturing as essential.

I know of a couple of manufacturers who are exploring options to redeploy their excess capacity to low-complexity healthcare items. If successful they will likely kill two birds with one stone.

I mean they are making decisions based on economics not just science so it's not going to be pure whatever the choice.
The issue is the ******* idiots who send there kids to school while waiting for the results of their covid test.
Obviously not just an issue for schools but the biggest issue is the governments shitty messaging.

Nobody really knows whether kids don't catch it much or just don't get impacted by it much. They say no gatherings and no play dates and on assembly at school but everything else is kind of it's ok if it's at school.

No such thing as a free lunch with a bank. They might defer repayments and lower interest rates for some things but they're not going to just not pay their mortgages for months on end.
That, or they know they'll get a bailout from the government for doing this.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

At 52 you're nowhere near retirement age Rasko, don't stress about your super as in 5 years time it'll be at worst better than it was a year ago. As a crossfitter a lot of your type will be quarantined, come up with a home cross fit workout and watch the cash roll in.

Routine sorted

d95acce5291f435d3af16bec2b463541.gif

I'm secure for now, but might not be in 6 months time if things are still this unsure. I've been working from home since Tuesday and will be until at least mid-April. I work in digital marketing for a fairly secure industry, but not as secure as a supermarket.
Heh. How quickly things change. My department has been "stood down" for a month, but I'm expected to work where required.. I'm not stupid enough to argue about being required to work while being stood down, but the whole situation is a bit of a mess. I have 7.5 weeks of AL accrued, 4 of which will be eaten up in this stand down period.

It's scary how quickly this is changing

How little clarity the government is giving doesn't help

I know we don't know how long this will take but it's all over the shop

Remove this Banner Ad

Back