Working from home, good/bad?

Remove this Banner Ad

Your boss has a point - if you’re not fit to come into work, you should be on sick leave

I like WFH but it’s not supposed to be a way to have half a sickie

If you’re ill and you go in, that’s you being selfish - don’t blame it on your boss
Wrong, i can do my job 100% remotely so it isnt a "sickie". Im not wasting my sick leave on something like that in case i really need it.

The message around covid in 2020 was exactly against this scenario. As i said, didnt take long for idiot middle management to go backwards.

Last edited:
To me its a bit silly. You can recognise yourself as being contagious to your colleagues, but also be able to carry out your work completely normally.
If you’re contagious, I think everyone is better off if you just take a sick day and get over it as quickly as possible

IME the people who protest they are ‘fine to work’ are the ones who spend a whole week delivering at reduced capacity because they don’t want to spend 24 hours in bed and get back to 100%

Correct. Theres a difference between properly unfit for work and doing exactly as the messaging said to the last 15 months...

I know where your coming from and s**t middle management shouldn’t strong arm you into taking a sick day if you can produce the same output WFH.

It’s probably a few people who take the piss that ruins it for workplaces.

If you have heaps of sick leave up your sleeve I’d just play the game and have the day off. In the end if you move on from the company in a year or two you will generally have heaps of sick leave accrued but most people never use close to their allocation and once you move on it’s all lost and not paid out.

If your middle management want to play that game then you can return serve with sick days.

A couple times a year I come down with cold/flu and I'm out of action for 3-4 days while recovering. My current employer still abides by the archaic system of requiring a doctor's note if I commit the cardinal sin of having two or more days off in a row, or I'm sick either side of a long weekend, which has never achieved anything other than building resentment.

A couple times a year I come down with cold/flu and I'm out of action for 3-4 days while recovering. My current employer still abides by the archaic system of requiring a doctor's note if I commit the cardinal sin of having two or more days off in a row, or I'm sick either side of a long weekend, which has never achieved anything other than building resentment.
I had Friday off 'sick' as per management's request. Came in today still sniffing a bit, not falling further behind when not actually unfit for work. Interestingly can hear many people sniffing, coughing, and blowing noses.

Common sense 101 when every single person here has wfh access. Do you lose the common sense gene when you become a manager or are you born without it & it's a prerequisite of the job to never use it? Baffling what goes through these people's heads on a daily basis...

Fragile egos = "do as I say because I'm the boss" I guess... people like this should never get to the jobs they do

I had Friday off 'sick' as per management's request. Came in today still sniffing a bit, not falling further behind when not actually unfit for work. Interestingly can hear many people sniffing, coughing, and blowing noses.

Common sense 101 when every single person here has wfh access. Do you lose the common sense gene when you become a manager or are you born without it & it's a prerequisite of the job to never use it? Baffling what goes through these people's heads on a daily basis...

Fragile egos = "do as I say because I'm the boss" I guess... people like this should never get to the jobs they do

Yep, should come down to trusting your employees to exercise direction to WFH when ill, or WFH when applicable.

Emailed manager today. "Been coughing a bit, ill work from home until its gone"

Replied "please use sick leave if sick".

Ill go back in tomorrow regardless of a slight cough or not now. Im not "sick" per se im thinking of others. Not wasting a sickie over it so see you tomorrow

Wasnt this the entire message of covid?! Stay home to avoid that? Doesnt take long for moronic middle management to undo good ideas does it

How is taking sick leave when you're sick make your boss a moron?

Is he asking you to work whilst sick at home? if so then OK I get it.

if you don't like the policies of the place you work at then why not just leave? Calling someone a moron who disagrees with you about something doesn't really seem the best way to approach it.

How is taking sick leave when you're sick make your boss a moron?

Is he asking you to work whilst sick at home? if so then OK I get it.

if you don't like the policies of the place you work at then why not just leave? Calling someone a moron who disagrees with you about something doesn't really seem the best way to approach it.
Read up. Theres a difference between maybe contagious and unfit for work, and the messaging for the last 15 months goes against this idea. Blatantly stupid, genuinely at a loss how anyone would think otherwise

Read up. Theres a difference between maybe contagious and unfit for work, and the messaging for the last 15 months goes against this idea. Blatantly stupid, genuinely at a loss how anyone would think otherwise

Depends where you live I guess. Maybe your in a state where COVID isn't really a pressing issue (WA, SA, QLD, NT) and thus your management has taken an approach to return to normality due to a lack of active cases. Have you reached out with your management to discuss it?

Id admit for example if you were in Sydney or Vic at the moment where we have community cases id think a bit more leeway is due if you report symptoms.

Eventually the world will come out of COVID and back to Normal. WFH isn't going to last forever for the majority of people and companies are probably keen to get back to normality.

Depends where you live I guess. Maybe your in a state where COVID isn't really a pressing issue (WA, SA, QLD, NT) and thus your management has taken an approach to return to normality due to a lack of active cases. Have you reached out with your management to discuss it?

Id admit for example if you were in Sydney or Vic at the moment where we have community cases id think a bit more leeway is due.

Eventually the world will come out of COVID and back to Normal. WFH isn't going to last forever for the majority of people.
With technology improving it bloody well should. If someone can be effective at home, why commute. Its illogical

Thats besides the point i made though that these examples are right to wfh and archaic management should get with the times

With technology improving it bloody well should. If someone can be effective at home, why commute. Its illogical

Thats besides the point i made though that these examples are right to wfh and archaic management should get with the times

Ok well that's a different argument then isn't it?

If you are someone who fundamentally thinks people should be allowed to permanently WFH regardless of a pandemic than you should seek employment with a company who has the same vision.

Some companies/management don't like WFH, I personally don't like it. But we all have a right to work for who we want to work for. I work in construction so full time WFH is kind of hard to do anyway. From my perspective at least in the construction industry any jobs that are typically able to be done as a permanently WFH basis and typically off shored anyway as it just makes financial sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok well that's a different argument then isn't it?

If you are someone who fundamentally thinks people should be allowed to permanently WFH regardless of a pandemic than you should seek employment with a company who has the same vision.

Some companies/management don't like WFH, I personally don't like it. But we all have a right to work for who we want to work for. I work in construction so full time WFH is kind of hard to do anyway. Any jobs that are typically able to be done as a permanently WFH basis and typically off shored anyway as it just makes financial sense.
This isnt the argument i brought up initially anyway

My job is data analytics and i have zero face to face intereactions with outside customers. Most of the office is the same, it makes no logical sense to have a central office. Simply isnt needed

Irrelevant to the fact the ability to wfh when contagious (not unfit for work) is simply common sense. Not seeing that, or refusing to, is just stupid tbh

This isnt the argument i brought up initially anyway

My job is data analytics and i have zero face to face intereactions with outside customers. Most of the office is the same, it makes no logical sense to have a central office. Simply isnt needed

Irrelevant to the fact the ability to wfh when contagious (not unfit for work) is simply common sense. Not seeing that, or refusing to, is just stupid tbh

if you disagree with your employers WFH policy than talk about it with them? Have you done this?

Generally companies don't just force you into the office just for the sake of it, why would they pay the costs associated with it if they didn't have too? Not exactly cheap to run a physical office.

From my point of view sure WFH is convenient in that you save on commute times etc but there something that working face to face cant replace. I think people get on better as a team in a physical environment as opposed to it all being online. I think the little things that happen in an office outside of general work talk also help foster a good environment. Work Lunches, Team Building Activities etc etc. Maybe your company has similar values.

You get 20 annual leave days and 10 sick leave days per year, generally speaking.

If someone in my team was taking 10 sick days a year and then constantly 'working from home' because they were 'sick', I would get the shits. But if someone chooses to work from home rather than take the odd day off completely because they have a sniffle, I think it's preferable. Even if they are only 80% productive, that's still 80% more than you get if they don't work at all.

On the flip side, if someone is at home sick and not working from home you shouldn't expect them to work. Don't send them texts and emails and Teams messages.

People annoy me so much who come to work sick. Stay home and get well but no instead they come to work and get others sick
🤢.

The whole working from home thing really depends your job.
My last gig flat out refused because part of the role was customer service (around 20 people in CS) and if you worked from home you would only completing the part of the role which wasn't call based (mostly basic reporting) . Also giving the extra call load to others in the office.
New role you can do 95% of it from home so the boss doesn't really care. 100% 1 chick milks it though to save an hours drive. She does it at least a couple of times a week because "her kid is sick"
She's not a bad worker or anything but sometimes it's easier to have an open forum
Personally prefer going in as I have multiple monitors and it's easier to bounce ideas and questions of co workers

I would much prefer to work in the office, I get distracted by my young bloke trying to home school, plus the dishwasher will finish, we'll get a delivery etc etc.

That said I can work fine from home, have a spare room/office, have my phone and laptop. I'm in sales and can't see people at the moment which is the bulk of my job so it doesn't matter where I am.

I started a new job two weeks ago, got my laptop from the office and came home. I must say I'm trying to make sure they do know I'm working and not taking the piss, trying to strike the balance between management knowing what I'm doing and being low maintenance, it's not easy, particularly since I haven't proved myself yet.

I would much prefer to work in the office, I get distracted by my young bloke trying to home school, plus the dishwasher will finish, we'll get a delivery etc etc.

That said I can work fine from home, have a spare room/office, have my phone and laptop. I'm in sales and can't see people at the moment which is the bulk of my job so it doesn't matter where I am.

I started a new job two weeks ago, got my laptop from the office and came home. I must say I'm trying to make sure they do know I'm working and not taking the piss, trying to strike the balance between management knowing what I'm doing and being low maintenance, it's not easy, particularly since I haven't proved myself yet.
I'd imagine a lot of people's main KPI currently is having enough "work" to report back to the boss each week. 🤣🤣

The one thing I miss is the chill Friday afternoons in the office where you have a longer lunch break then put your feet up at 4pm. You might even duck off early and head to the bar downstairs for drinks.

These days, I'm working until 6pm on a Friday having spent the whole day at my desk.

My main problem with WFH is I end up working too much, I've been pretty much WFH since covid started apart from visiting client sites once or twice a week, which is a blessing especially during lockdown, great way to break the week and routine up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back