Working from home, good/bad?

Remove this Banner Ad

Massive Unit

The Devil Incarnate
Feb 8, 2011
1,741
5,251
Melbourne baby!!
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Socceroos
What we're seeing now is that advertised roles with 100% WFH or hybrid roles are getting substantially greater application rates than traditional work from office roles.

My view is that there needs to be a balance between the staff wants/needs and the ability to build a corporate or team culture (which has suffered as a result of WFH).
 

Themanbun

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
7,805
22,794
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Offshoring will occur regardless of whether your boss allows you to WFH or not.

It's not as if they weren't considering whether work had to be done from an Australian location prior to COVID, and the same cost pressures still exist.
 

Log in to remove this ad.

HirdsTheWord

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Jun 19, 2014
9,037
10,254
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
New York Rangers, New York Knicks
We’ve definitely lost some junior staff in the last 12 months due to the isolation. They want to be in an environment with social contact and the ability to learn by osmosis. One of my best grads just left because the job was too lonely.

It’s usually the older staff who just want to be at home as much as possible. They have the family lives and the comfortable home offices, and generally are on a lower growth trajectory.

I’m starting to spend more time in the office for the sake of my juniors.

we have noticed this too, and it makes a lot of sense.
 

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
28,353
14,191
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
My job doesn't need me to be in the office to do it
Good for you, not relevant

Am talking about jobs involving a mix of individual and collaborative work where a hybrid working arrangement makes sense - i.e. come in when you’re needed and there’ll be a desk for you, when you’re not stay home and other people will use it

All for giving people flexible working but it cuts both ways, which 90% of employees understand - the other 10% are the usual high-maintenance go-nowhere time-wasters
 
Last edited:

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
4,092
7,805
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory and Arsenal
We had a new starter in the office yesterday. Talking with her this morning she made the comment that it's much more relaxed here as people come in at a leisurely pace. Apparently the role she's just left required everyone to be in at 8:15 and logged on and ready to go by 8:30 otherwise you'd get in trouble. Micromanaging at its worst.
 

Massive Unit

The Devil Incarnate
Feb 8, 2011
1,741
5,251
Melbourne baby!!
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Socceroos
Good for you, not relevant

Am talking about jobs involving a mix of individual and collaborative work where a hybrid working arrangement makes sense - i.e. come in when you’re needed and there’ll be a desk for you, when you’re not stay home and other people will use it

All for giving people flexible working but it cuts both ways, which 90% of employees understand - the other 10% are the usual high-maintenance go-nowhere time-wasters
I think it comes down to trust. If you can't trust your employees to be productive when they are WFH, then there is a more fundamental issue.
 

Sinjin Smith

Club Legend
May 16, 2016
1,423
2,474
AFL Club
Carlton
My employer allows WFH but I come in every day as I got sick of working from home during lockdown, really ended up hating it. Most of my DR's in Melbourne come in 2-3 days per week and my team in Singapore pretty much do five days per week as they are all on client sites or doing client work (not sitting on the bench). Again if they are getting their s**t done I don't mind where they work but it is good if they go into the office on a regular basis just to catch up with their colleagues.

One of the great things about the organisation I work for is flexibility. Dr's appointment, drop kids off or pick up from school, sick kid(s) at home etc they don't raise an eyebrow. I've been here for nearly three years so built up the trust with the directors, after a particular taxing client project I took a day off after it finished and they didn't count it as leave or a sick day. I do the same with my DR's I don't mind what time they come in, I'm aware of what home life entails with a family, just keep me informed and you can have all the flexibility you want.
 

Engimal v3

https://www.stan.com.au/sport
Sep 21, 2017
9,251
18,670
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tasmania
One of the great things about the organisation I work for is flexibility. Dr's appointment, drop kids off or pick up from school, sick kid(s) at home etc they don't raise an eyebrow.

Same here, I love it. If you say you need to take the afternoon off for an appointment or whatever, it's no questions asked.
 

blueboy25

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 14, 2006
7,848
10,006
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
West Perth, Tottenham
The ability to have a flexible arrangement to WFH is vital.

Yesterday it was cold, wet and windy in Perth and being able to choose to WFH instead of heading into the office and battling the traffic and battling the wind down the Terrace was fantastic.
 

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
4,092
7,805
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory and Arsenal
We had a new starter in the office yesterday. Talking with her this morning she made the comment that it's much more relaxed here as people come in at a leisurely pace. Apparently the role she's just left required everyone to be in at 8:15 and logged on and ready to go by 8:30 otherwise you'd get in trouble. Micromanaging at its worst.

To add to this she's slowly opening up more about her previous workplace. For a team of 6 only one of them was allowed to be away from their desk at one time, so if someone else wasn't at their desk you had to wait for them to return. ~45 inbound calls a day for an office role, being dumped in call queues randomly without being asked, and given only one person was allowed to stand up at any given time they had to rush to the coffee machine and back rather than doing it normally. They were also expected to do unpaid overtime throughout the week and at least one unpaid Saturday a month. Can't imagine how miserable that would have been.

On a personal note had a catch up with my boss today, and now I've settled into the new role I'm shifting to WFH one day a week (Monday), could have opted for two if I wanted but happy going into the office and still need to make those connections and learn through osmosis. Also trimmed the hour lunch break down to 30 minutes, so it's a standard 9-5 now. Very happy in the new role!
 
Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad