Working from home, good/bad?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the_interloper

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Thread starter #31
What industry do you work in? I find office time adds to stress not removes it. Have to attend more pointless meetings and people are always asking you to help them out taking away from your time. On top of that when working from home you have an extra 1-2 hours a day to work/relax cos you dont have to get dressed, shave and drive in and out to work. On top of that studies find that driving during peak hour is one of the most stressful things people can do. Plus at home you can work more your hours then standard hours. Can get up early and start at 7 and then have one or two big breaks during the day. Great help for stress.
I'm in sales/BD in the technology sector. We're owned by a larger entity but there's essentially only two of us in Australia and we report to India. So i'm pretty isolated and thus like to work at the office of the larger entity for a bit of interaction, we do some business together but not much. I do stuff like leave early to miss traffic or go in later, work out of cafes if I can't be bothered going back to the office after an arvo meeting etc. The flexibility is pretty handy.

One thing about working from home is that you can start at 7am, once I get the kid to child care I'm away, cause I do business in NZ as well that can be a big advantage.

MEB_

Mumma Mebbie
AFL Club
Carlton
Moderator #32
I'm terrible at working from home. I started WFM when I was towards the end of my pregnancy and it generally resulted in me lying on the couch watching netflix.

Bigjobss

Club Legend
AFL Club
Essendon
Love working from home, we moved to open plan offices with 100% hotdesks a year ago and it got me to after a while and now I only go in once a week.
I visit a lot of clients and sites so am on the road a couple days a week anyway, which I think helps because variety is great.

I can get a full days "office" work done in half the time at home by not being distracted by dumb questions and conversation.

Gralin

Super Moderator
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Buffalo Bills
Moderator #34
Working from home is a double edged sword. You can end up working longer hours because you don't have travel time, you get less face time with co workers, harder for new people to build relationships etc, but you can work in shorts and chuck the washing on, make your lunch at lunch time instead of before work etc

Most of the time I prefer to work at home and get more done than when I go into the office, because the office becomes more of a social catch up with co workers

Smoooothy

TAKE THAT BACK!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide; ConeyIslandWarriors
I find myself bored shitless when i'm working from home, temptation of gaming and Netflix is just too strong. also naps

the_interloper

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Thread starter #36
I'm going to work from home tomorrow, been a few weeks, looking forward to it actually. Been having a lot of heavy days for client meetings, driving and traffic is doing my head in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

basashi

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
FFC Quay Club
I do it one day a week.

What i have found is that it is really beneficial to start the day with a couple of video conferences. It really hammers into the psyche that you are working and bats away the lingering temptation to do other stuff.

- I find it is good to give me time to focus on some documents, writing etc.
- Saves time and money commuting
- I eat lunch on the couch and watch a 30m show on Netflix. This gives me boundaries.
- I bang out a few good emails every time
- it really breaks up the week, I am always saying "Wow, Friday already??"

I wouldn't want to do it too much - you need to eyeball people and cultivate your relationships. Don't forget that for most of what we do, no one gives a damn if it is any good as long as you maintain good relationships. Not being there does not help relationships.

Stratton_Gun

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester United
I would hate it. Once I leave work I don't want to think about it. It would be like living in the office

Macpotata

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Geelong
I can get a full days "office" work done in half the time at home by not being distracted by dumb questions and conversation.
No shit. I hate having my time wasted by dumb campaigners. I've found the best way is to just be a campaigner. Best way to keep the flogs at bay.

Seeds

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Geelong
A week ago i gave an hour presentation to about 30 people over the phone including some pretty senior people in the company and i was wearing nothing but socks and underpants.

You dont get those wins working in the office.

Top Bottom