Working from home, good/bad?

Remove this Banner Ad

burge13

Club Legend
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
I cannot fathom managements obsession with a CBD office. We're all being forced back now but -

Productivity never slowed when majority WFH
Deadlines were never missed
The overwhelming majority are back office so no face-to-face customers ever. For that matter phones rarely ring, no meetings

Why not WFH? Old people running the show so everything must remain how it always has. Honestly surprised we don't have a fax machine in the office

Now instead of starting at 730am, I start at 830 and waste 90 mins in commute daily, and unavailable after 4pm rather than 5-6 as I was doing. Makes no sense but back to old ways now.

MrKK

Premiership Player
Mar 11, 2012
City of churches
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Sturt, Southampton FC, LSU
We're all heading back to the office as of next week, but with all of the social distancing restrictions they've put in place I don't see the point.
- no congregating at desks or in hallways and other communal areas
- capacity limits for each area. Some areas are at their limit if everyone is at their desk, so effectively no-one can visit them unless someone else is absent.
- requests to do video meetings rather than in person wherever possible.

If I want to demonstrate something on a colleague's screen I have to call them via Teams and share screens. FFS, I can do that at home.

When you add in everyone's commute time and the tendency to switch off work when you leave the office I expect our productivity to be drop when we go back.

burge13

Club Legend
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
We're all heading back to the office as of next week, but with all of the social distancing restrictions they've put in place I don't see the point.
- no congregating at desks or in hallways and other communal areas
- capacity limits for each area. Some areas are at their limit if everyone is at their desk, so effectively no-one can visit them unless someone else is absent.
- requests to do video meetings rather than in person wherever possible.

If I want to demonstrate something on a colleague's screen I have to call them via Teams and share screens. FFS, I can do that at home.

When you add in everyone's commute time and the tendency to switch off work when you leave the office I expect our productivity to be drop when we go back.
I work in a 14 story building with 4 lifts (one always out of order). Limit 3 per lift...There's 40+ per floor. That will cause problems when everyone is back

The commute is my thing. Why force people into an office for back office work?! Why not let them WFH and save the hour each way, you get more time out of employees naturally. Baffling to me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HBF

Flying Scotsman
Sep 24, 2002
AFL Club
Carlton
Have been WFH since about the end of March, and I have say it has been brilliant. My productivity has been about the same, and I have got to spend alot more time with my kids as I don't have to sit in traffic for about 2 hours a day.

I do still go in 1 day a week, but there is only me and the MD in there so we can socially distance quite easily.

The interesting part is this. We have a Zoom meeting every Friday to catch up, and our MD often comments on how well we are working from home, and the quality of our work is still at a very high standard. Then, almost in the next breath he is wanting us to return to the office for the "new normal". To me, I don't get the rush to go back into the office.

Being in Melbourne, we're WFH until at least the end of July, but given the current climate here I day say we'll be home for a while yet.

Top Bottom