Running/Fitness Working out at home

Remove this Banner Ad

Dhoni Dakurri

Cancelled
Oct 18, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Resolution was to improve fitness but I don’t like going to gyms anymore or doing gym classes so I’ve started working out at home and am getting in a decent groove doing it. I follow a couple of channels on youtube, one called fitness blender, and try to do one of their high intensity interval training (HIIT) workouts at least every second day. Days I don’t workout I usually play golf or tennis. The workouts only go for about 30 mins but leave me buggered. Don’t need any equipment and it’s all done in my back room. I like the convenience of it too. And the price...

Don’t feel the need to add muscle bulk because I’m still quite chunky from weights training in years gone by.

Anyone else had success with home workout program?

Last edited:
Resolution was to improve fitness but I don’t like going to gyms anymore or doing gym classes so I’ve started working out at home and am getting in a decent groove doing it. I follow a couple of channels on youtube, one called fitness blender, and try to do one of their high intensity interval training (HIIT) workouts at least every second day. Days I don’t workout I usually play golf or tennis. The workouts only go for about 30 mins but leave me buggered. Don’t need any equipment and it’s all done in my back room. I like the convenience of it too. And the price...

Don’t feel the need to add muscle bulk because I’m still quite chunky from weights training in years gone by.

Anyone else had success with home workout program?
stationery bike. running machine. rower and some weights. short term it's expensive. long term you save money. convenient location and time wise. no 'strutters' to have to put up with.

Watch the footy, do 20 push ups whenever anyone kicks a goal. Avoid Ross Lyon coached games.

Pushups... pfft.
Try burpees.

My best workouts were in the garage when I was 16. I had a barbell, dumb bell handles you had to load up, 70kgs of slag iron, and a bench press with the leg curl/extension attachment.

Before that I had a cardboard box that I taped up with a couple rolls of stolen racing tape.

I'd load it with 5kg paving bricks (I know this because I weighed them) and slide it over me as I lay back on a wonky wooden bench.

Then I'd do neutral close grip bench presses with it.

We had a bar in the backyard for pull ups.

I got up to 50kgs with the taped fruit box, and then dad said to mum "This *en idiot is going to kill himself lets get him a gym set."

Aside from the rain last week, I'm getting some improved consistency the last few weeks, I think adding bits and pieces has helped me most though with variation, got a really good chest/delt burn yesterday for example, though I'm not too sore today.

The PTP bands I grabbed 2-3 weeks ago have been a decent addition so far, are far more flexible than the tubes PTP sells too and have improved my back and tricep workouts, they'll be a very good supplementary end of workout finishing option though once I can row/pullover/french press to my hearts content once I get my dumbbells/bench later in the month. The medicine ball I bought last week is also helping getting my abs more involved too in core stuff which has been good too. But yeah, all fingers crossed, by the 22nd (17 days) I'll have enough resistance stuff to get me through the winter/lockdown before I can look at upgrading again.

Following on from my last post

Cardio is probably the only thing I'm kinda worried about for winter, I walk alot, I try and do 30-35km a week, grabbed an aerobic step for some movement things and will act as a low bench/platform, but can't do much else as obviously the gym/pool is shut and I can't jog at my current weight/core strength abilities due to risk management with my back, so I think if I were to get something fairly space efficient then some sort of 4-5 foot long heavy duty bike seems to be the best option for a higher intensity cardio option plus it'd be useful when the weather stinks (aerobic step is ok, but is best used for 2-5 minute warm ups)

After looking around for a few weeks, it seems like the Rogue Echo Assault bike which is around $1100 depending on add ons with free shipping out of Sydney is the best option for a big guy like me considering alot of other niche Assault type bikes are $1500-2000 and only have 250-300 pound capacities, it's hard to find something more heavy duty than the Echo and the price is very reasonable considering Rogue puts a premium on alot of their products. It says it's 350 pound/160kg capacity, but Big Brian Shaw rode one in a YouTube video not too long ago and he is like 6 foot 8 and was 420 pounds/200kg at the time so I think I'll be ok if I look at grabbing one eventually if I think it can fit in my workout room in one corner with the bench in the other corner or wheeled towards the study area which won't be an issue, also has wheels which is handy. If I grab one and it does the job (that mix of bike and crosstrainer) then I'd find it hard to hold down a weekly gym membership again I think and would only go in for casuals for a barbell bench only day or something to break up dumbbell training every couple of weeks.

Also bikes at gym generally stink for big guys, nothing worse than constantly hitting my knees on handles due to them being in one fixed low position and having bugger all room to move which makes it just a 5 minute warm up tops for me. Out of the 7 gyms I've gone to since 2004 for more than say 3 months, only 2 makes out of the 15-20 or so I've ridden at these gyms I have considered as good/very good that have given me adequate comfort and leg room and most importantly a decent sweat. My favourite was an old Life Fitness one (like 1990s probably) that had red lights on the program panel that I smashed a few days a week from about 2004-2010, then I think it got taken away around when my back issues started in 2011 and when I returned in 2013 after I recovered it was replaced :( then the gym went **** up about a year later as it couldn't compete with other gyms within their current business model and they closed :( and the other was a 2000s model True one which my 2nd last gym had until late 2018 until they "upgraded" on to a newer True model which seemed slightly smaller than the old one and had a different pedalling feel, so I felt it lost what it used to have then and there. They actually "upgraded" their whole gym and apart from an upgrade on their lat pulldown/seated row and a better stepper and crosstrainer, most of their new equipment was smaller, shaped unconventionally and it stunk and lead me and others to quit and I just have the 1 gym membership at Derrimut now as I had 2 for over 2 years for variance that I liked.

Anyways, see what happens, hopefully I can keep saving and get in what I want.

I downloaded a great app on AppStore that helps me losing weight by measuring my height and all the parameters in general. One day when I was exercising, there came up an advertising about some yoga courses and I thought “how interesting”.

I downloaded a great app on AppStore that helps me losing weight by measuring my height and all the parameters in general. One day when I was exercising, there came up an advertising about some yoga courses and I thought “how interesting”.
That advertising algorithm kicking in

Edit, Pidgeot as an av? Lol, Tyranitar FTW

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back