Health Workout for beginers

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 29, 2007
Rand McNally
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
Just joined up at the local gym, just to loose some weight and get a bit fitter. have been doing some research for an ideal workout, as have family work committments going to try a do 3 days a week,

my situation
  • an hour or so a session.
  • more than likely using weight machines and/or smith press as going early in the morning an not guarantee of getting spotters etc.
  • all over muscle work out, my goal is not to get huge etc
  • I dont do running/jogging

I have come up with the following:
day 1:
30 min cardio (bike),
squats,
calf raises,

day 2:
30 min cardio (bike),
bench press,
bicep curls,
back rows

day 3:
20 min cardio (bike)
20 min cardio (row machine)
seated dips
lat pull downs

any tips or additions to what i have above would be most appreciated.

I'd get rid of calf raises and replace with lunges and chuck in dead lifts.

You also need to work the antagonist muscle for every muscle you work e.g biceps/triceps

Check out the Health and Fitness forum plenty there who can answer the question. A quick glance at it though, is there a reason not to run? Whether running or bike drop the long steady cardio and go for intervals. And drop the bicep curls, calf raises and lat pull downs. Add in squats, pull ups and deadlifts instead.

When I joined my gym part of the deal was the first day you got a session with a trainer, not a workout as such but just measured your BMI/body fat etc, asked what you were looking to achieve and then designed a workout for you and went through all the exercises to make sure you knew how to do them safely. Then you're on your own, just keep a diary of times/weights etc and watch it improve.

I'd suggest it might be worth asking if they can do something like this for you, unless they're going to be tools and charge through the nose for it.

It really depends on what you like doing some people like weights some peeps rather cardio.doing some you like is better hence you might keep doing it.

Diet is key cut out the booze/sugar drinks/fatty foods.

If you like cardio high intensity training is good depends on fittness levels mix it up tredmill/bike/etc.

weights> work your bigger muscles back/legs/chest they burn the most cals.

I'd get rid of calf raises and replace with lunges and chuck in dead lifts.

You also need to work the antagonist muscle for every muscle you work e.g biceps/triceps

dead lifts seemed to unlock everything else for me. Bigger back, shoulders and calves whilst focusing on the hammies

Just joined up at the local gym, just to loose some weight and get a bit fitter. have been doing some research for an ideal workout, as have family work committments going to try a do 3 days a week,

my situation
  • an hour or so a session.
  • more than likely using weight machines and/or smith press as going early in the morning an not guarantee of getting spotters etc.
  • all over muscle work out, my goal is not to get huge etc
  • I dont do running/jogging

I have come up with the following:
day 1:
30 min cardio (bike),
squats,
calf raises,

day 2:
30 min cardio (bike),
bench press,
bicep curls,
back rows

day 3:
20 min cardio (bike)
20 min cardio (row machine)
seated dips
lat pull downs

Why so much cardio? Especially if you don't run or jog?
If it's for weight loss you're better off looking at a diet fix, results with pure cardio takes forever. If it's to increase or maintain your endurance/fitness then fair enough but that doesn't sound like it.

you should base each day around a compound,
don't worry so much about the cardio, just get onto the free weights and have some fun :) !!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back