Workplace Team Building Activities

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 19, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
My CEO has organised a two day retreat for the management team. I have done several team building activities, personality profiling etc over the years, but this one seems to be going to another level.

We have all been asked to do the following:

"Please bring something with you to present to the group which is moving, meaningful or precious for you. For example, it may be a poem, part of a play, a letter, a speech, a story, a song, some music (no CDs –you need to play it yourself if you are using music). It is important is that it touches you in some deep way. Your presentation to the group should be no longer than 3 mins".

No further information has been provided.

Given the makeup of the team, we are all based in different states and I hardly know these people on any sort of personal level. I am concerned that everyone will share deeply personal experiences etc and I won't and will appear shallow or the opposite, share too much and I look like a dick.

I think this could go horribly wrong, we have also been asked to come with an activity that we would like the group to engage with.

Does anyone have any experience of this type of activity and how it went, any advice on what type of activity would be good to initiate?

My CEO has organised a two day retreat for the management team. I have done several team building activities, personality profiling etc over the years, but this one seems to be going to another level.

We have all been asked to do the following:

"Please bring something with you to present to the group which is moving, meaningful or precious for you. For example, it may be a poem, part of a play, a letter, a speech, a story, a song, some music (no CDs –you need to play it yourself if you are using music). It is important is that it touches you in some deep way. Your presentation to the group should be no longer than 3 mins".

No further information has been provided.

Given the makeup of the team, we are all based in different states and I hardly know these people on any sort of personal level. I am concerned that everyone will share deeply personal experiences etc and I won't and will appear shallow or the opposite, share too much and I look like a dick.

I think this could go horribly wrong, we have also been asked to come with an activity that we would like the group to engage with.

Does anyone have any experience of this type of activity and how it went, any advice on what type of activity would be good to initiate?

don't over think it, enjoy it but don't forget you are still in a professional setting.

ie bring in a fishing rod, photos of a fishing trip and an explanation of how getting away in the open air is more important than a fish. Then add a quick story of a stuff up on trip to share a smile.

don't bring up stories of swilling copious amounts of booze, drugs, fights, swingers parties, gimp suits or any other similar issue even if it's precious to you.

This is going well......

I must admit the lesbian sister thing would be a story hard to forget. Especially with images or a real life performance.

Can third parties attend?

Hard to know. What is your occupation?

If serious just bring a photo in of something meaningful to you and tell everyone about it.

If it is just some managerial wank and you don't get along with your colleagues nor want to just something generic that doesn't bring attention to you but looks as if you're trying. i.e. Holiday mementos, your favorite something or other.

Hard to know. What is your occupation?

If serious just bring a photo in of something meaningful to you and tell everyone about it.

If it is just some managerial wank and you don't get along with your colleagues nor want to just something generic that doesn't bring attention to you but looks as if you're trying. i.e. Holiday mementos, your favorite something or other.

That is the issue, I don't really know these people, spending two days and a night at an intimate retreat setting is quite daunting to be honest, I agree its about middle ground so it looks like I am "playing the game". It is a professional group in a health organisation.

That is the issue, I don't really know these people, spending two days and a night at an intimate retreat setting is quite daunting to be honest, I agree its about middle ground so it looks like I am "playing the game". It is a professional group in a health organisation.

Interesting. Are you a health professional or is it a corporate role?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

don't over think it, enjoy it but don't forget you are still in a professional setting.

ie bring in a fishing rod, photos of a fishing trip and an explanation of how getting away in the open air is more important than a fish. Then add a quick story of a stuff up on trip to share a smile.

don't bring up stories of swilling copious amounts of booze, drugs, fights, swingers parties, gimp suits or any other similar issue even if it's precious to you.
Careful with this 'i go fishing to break the stress caused by the a-hole ceo' etc. Safer something from childhood or meeting your partner if you have one. I have been to multiple retreats and usually their is some hidden agenda.

Post the question on the Adelaide or Melbourne Board.
giphy.gif

I was going to say take a blindfold but that might loop back to the lesbians.

Not 100% sold on corporate weekends. I always think there are deeper agendas. But the idea of getting a country-wide group together is fine. Sharing a 3 minute story on something that moves you is ok. Just dont get maudlin or burst into tears. Do you have a memento from a parent or grandparent? Is there a trophy you are proud of? I think the further you can distance yourself from your today person the more you keep that distance

Careful with this 'i go fishing to break the stress caused by the a-hole ceo' etc. Safer something from childhood or meeting your partner if you have one. I have been to multiple retreats and usually their is some hidden agenda.

Any examples?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back