Worksafe Victoria to Interview 34 Essendon players

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone hoping for workcover to hit essendon over the head with a giant sledgehammer are going to be disappointed. In the absence of any player being injured or falling ill because of the injection program you're looking at a prosecution for actions that had the potential for harm rather than actual harm

The fine, if one is even issued, will be small
In the absence of any player being injured or falling ill yet because of the injection program you're looking at a prosecution for actions that had the potential for harm rather than actual harm

why would they post on here about players welfare when most posts on here were along the lines of "suck s**t, hope the club is thrown out of the competition" etc etc?

There hasnt been any reasoned discussion on the HTB about player health. Its been troll central
You're exaggerating there.

Troll central- yes for the last 4 days, that's for certain.

Ok fair enough. Are you at all interested in what was administered to the players? I'm sure the players would like know what they received. But they do not seem to be kicking up much of a stink about it, publicly at least. This leads me to believe they do know. I also believe that Dank 100% has the records. Any scientist worth a damn keeps records. They teach the METHOD in year 8 science labs.
You assume he is worth a damn.

In the absence of any player being injured or falling ill yet because of the injection program you're looking at a prosecution for actions that had the potential for harm rather than actual harm
I'm not looking for anything from Worksafe - they're a red herring and nothing will come of it. The player safety aspect of this has been overblown in part because no player has actually shown any ill effects but also because AFL clubs routinely put players at risk when they pump them full of painkillers and send them out to play with barely a hint of indignation.

youre entitled to your view but in reality you have absolutely no idea the lengths essendon went to to get Dank to reveal what he used, assuming he kept such records

I suspect that if Essendon genuinely wanted whatever records Dank had they could have taken him to court to force him to hand them over and they would have won - after all Dank was paid for his services and the club would have been entitled to be given the records of what their players were given.

Of course, it doesn't suit Dank, Essendon or the AFL for the truth of what was given to see the light of day. If it did we would have seen it well before now.

I'm not looking for anything from Worksafe - they're a red herring and nothing will come of it. The player safety aspect of this has been overblown in part because no player has actually shown any ill effects but also because AFL clubs routinely put players at risk when they pump them full of painkillers and send them out to play with barely a hint of indignation.
but they know what painkillers were given unlike what was given to the Essendon players and what the mixing might do

That would have been one of the many required management processes Essendon should have put in place prior to Dank commencing at Essendon.

Don't worry, it will never ever happen again. They've learnt. Remember, they've been punished more than is reasonable for poor governance. I'm sure the AFL's foam pimp hand is strong enough to keep them on the straight and narrow.

Nah, probably just fines.

I feel this may be the modern equivalent of Al Capone. They couldn't get him for murder, bootlegging, or anything else, so they got him for tax fraud thanks to lack of records.

They're not really getting at Essendon as successfully as they would like, so resort to WorkSafe hitting them in the pocket because of record keeping.

Looks like the Federal Police may have joined the list too (so we now have ASADA, WADA, WorkSafe Victoria so far, on the case). Note the constant use of the words "integrity" and "corruption" in the article

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...on-says-senior-policeman-20150403-1me9gr.html

One of Australia's most senior policemen has warned the AFL that it has lost its immunity to international gambling corruption and that the one-time low-profile domestic game has become an increasing focus of Asian betting markets.

Graham Ashton, a deputy commissioner with the Federal Police, has urged the 18 clubs to strengthen their integrity resources against the growing threat of overseas match-fixing syndicates.

Ashton, the former Victorian deputy police commissioner who recently returned to the Federal Police, said there was strong evidence to suggest international match-fixers were educating themselves about the structure and regulations governing Australian rules football.

"They understand soccer and cricket and tennis," Ashton told Fairfax Media, "but in the past they've not really understood the AFL. That's changing and the better they understand how the AFL games work the more open it is to corruption."

The deputy commissioner last month addressed senior executives, board members and integrity staffers from the 18 clubs at AFL headquarters and urged those who had not already done so to establish integrity committees.

Looks like the Federal Police may have joined the list too (so we now have ASADA, WADA, WorkSafe Victoria so far, on the case). Note the constant use of the words "integrity" and "corruption" in the article

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...on-says-senior-policeman-20150403-1me9gr.html

One of Australia's most senior policemen has warned the AFL that it has lost its immunity to international gambling corruption and that the one-time low-profile domestic game has become an increasing focus of Asian betting markets.

Graham Ashton, a deputy commissioner with the Federal Police, has urged the 18 clubs to strengthen their integrity resources against the growing threat of overseas match-fixing syndicates.

Ashton, the former Victorian deputy police commissioner who recently returned to the Federal Police, said there was strong evidence to suggest international match-fixers were educating themselves about the structure and regulations governing Australian rules football.

"They understand soccer and cricket and tennis," Ashton told Fairfax Media, "but in the past they've not really understood the AFL. That's changing and the better they understand how the AFL games work the more open it is to corruption."

The deputy commissioner last month addressed senior executives, board members and integrity staffers from the 18 clubs at AFL headquarters and urged those who had not already done so to establish integrity committees.
Integrity committee.....AFL.... pfft yeah, they go together like ham and boxer shorts.

I'll admit to that a bit. However, my focus first and foremost has always been the player welfare issue. How that married up to the players getting banned hasn't always been an easy logical route. And like I posted to MXETT before, I suspect it is 100 times more vexed for the players themselves.
I've been concerned about their welfare, I've talked to players about only lightly to this point because well, not sure considering all had been going on its what they have wanted to hear.

I've heard from multiple players parents .

The core reason I support Hird as coach is the few I've talked to the players love playing for him. Thats where something doesn't add up to me, if we go on the narrative of many they should hate Hird but I think a few would have walked away from the club if he wasn't coach this year.

Or even footage like this; the players making a specific focus to get Hird from another room

If players wanted him gone, you can bet your bottom dollar I'd want him gone. Most I talk to have the same view.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been concerned about their welfare, I've talked to players about only lightly to this point because well, not sure considering all had been going on its what they have wanted to hear.

I've heard from multiple players parents .

The core reason I support Hird as coach is the few I've talked to the players love playing for him. Thats where something doesn't add up to me, if we go on the narrative of many they should hate Hird but I think a few would have walked away from the club if he wasn't coach this year.

Or even footage like this; the players making a specific focus to get Hird from another room

If players wanted him gone, you can bet your bottom dollar I'd want him gone. Most I talk to have the same view.

Bet your bottom millions of dollars.Had it been knights he would have been thrown under the bus long ago

Yep. The likes of Bill Kelty are well on top of this, no doubt.
and which hairshirt was he wearing?
there are three jumpers.

the famed ACTU jumper that Marieke HArdy recreated in her Polichicks line. PJK accords tradeshall iteration
AFL boardmember jumper?
David Evans boutique investment bank boardmember jumper? this is actually a polo shirt. not a jumper

Question, do PEDS fall under 'Dangerous Goods', something which Worksafe would know a lot about?

or would Worksafe have to refer PEDS to the Therapeutic Goods Australia body for 'expert comments and advice'? How is Worksafe deeming that PEDs are unsafe, what process are they using?

and which hairshirt was he wearing?
there are three jumpers.

the famed ACTU jumper that Marieke HArdy recreated in her Polichicks line. PJK accords tradeshall iteration
AFL boardmember jumper?
David Evans boutique investment bank boardmember jumper? this is actually a polo shirt. not a jumper

Gold

should be interesting to see how Dank reacts here because he has claimed he would not be involved in any kangaroo court with ASADA or the AFL. Well Stephen, worksafe may have a fair bit to say about your program, are they also a kangaroo court?
He also claims Essendon have all the records, may be time he is forced to tell the World where they are or if they really exist, if they dont then what in hell happened to them, maybe some elves used them to sole the shoes they were making?

you think players have been waiting until worksafe investigates to launch any action?
It would be a sensible move as it will add to their case but most existing players will probably wait until they retire anyway before bringing charges, and then any strange rash that appears can be blamed on whatever they were given by Essendon, if Essendon dont know what was given or so they claim than how can they disprove any claim against them?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back