Strategy Workshopping Tom Clurey’s Norm Smith Medal speech

Remove this Banner Ad

elbarton

All Australian
Jun 27, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Tom “Cluzza’ Clurey is obviously going to win the Norm Smith medal. Any path to a Port Premiership will see him in a showdown with one of the following: Tom Hawkins, Tom Lynch (Rich), Josh Kennedy (WC) or Eric Hipwood. As you can see, the winning of this match-up, and therefore the premiership, and therefore the Norm Smith is in Tom Clurey’s hands.

With those facts in mind, I thought it might be worth putting some ideas together for what Tom could say after Choppy “Byron” Pickett hands him the medal on GF day, that we could pass on to the dub. Maybe some prompts could be:

• 15.1 beep test result at the draft combine, best among key defenders
  • Originally from a sheep and canola farm
  • Nickname is “Cluzza”, based on his surname: Clurey
  • His childhood primary school in Invergordon has since closed
  • Plays full back
These are just some tantalising starters to get everyone thinking before the now traditional Grand Final week Port BigFooty board voluntary brainstorm. See details below about effective brainstorming, so you don’t come underprepared:

Group brainstorming sessions can be great spaces of collaboration where innovative products and cost-cutting services are born from that one, wild idea. Free-flowing idea generation can turn the most rigid of boardrooms into a space where, for a moment, the dress shoes become unlaced and tossed aside.
In 7 Tips on Better Brainstorming, the team behind OpenIDEO shares their advice for effective brainstorming in traditional group settings. Here are few ways to get your ideas flowing in no time.
1. Don’t Limit Your Ideas
Brainstorming is best when we can think freely and come up with wild ideas. It allows us to think about what we really want if we didn’t have to worry about things like technology restrictions or costs. Encourage the wild ideas, as any road bumps you encounter are just opportunities to build new technologies or software that can help deliver them.
Brainstorming for an hour and walking away with only 2 or 3 ideas may be a sign that too much time is being spent on dissecting, debating, and over-analyzing ideas during the brainstorming process.
2. Build. Build More.
Ideas beget ideas. By encouraging an environment free from judgment, it allows everyone to speak their mind and let the ideas flow in an uninhibited manner.
You can foster a judgment free zone by mastering the skill of the skill of saying “and” instead of “but” when building upon someone else’s idea. The word “but” is normally used to introduce an objection, whereas “and” shows that you have an open mind to an idea. It allows you to keep building while still being able to pose questions and provocations, and make everyone feel like their ideas are valued.
3. Quantity Counts
Generate as many ideas as you can. Brainstorming for an hour and walking away with only 2 or 3 ideas may be a sign that too much time is being spent on dissecting, debating, and over-analyzing ideas during the brainstorming process. While that’s certainly important, you should really start refining only once you have a large bank of ideas to choose from, or during a second session dedicated to fleshing out your ideas further.
4. Try Visual Brainstorming
Cover your walls with Post-its. Turn your whiteboard into a work of erasable-marker-art. Drawing, writing, sketching, and more, will make your ideas memorable. Visual brainstorming can also provide clarity to an idea that you may have trouble expressing with words. Plus, it lets you showcase your Picasso-esque drawing skills.
5. Stay Focused on The Topic
Throughout all this, the wild ideas to the post-it notes and everything in between, you need to remember that you’re brainstorming for a specific reason, and need to keep the session(s) on target. Getting off-topic while brainstorming will only stifle the process and add unnecessary noise. If you think of an off-topic idea during the brainstorming session, make a note of it and bring it up later on when the time calls for it.

(Mods feel free to pin this thread)

Last edited:
Tom Clurey: Thanks for the medal Byron. I have never enjoyed a season more than 2020 and that was just watching the Crows get the wooden spoon. I don’t think I deserve the medal, because Lynch was a pile of sh!t today, and it’s rare for defenders to get awards in 120 point wins but I’ll take it anyway. PEPE’ LE PEW!!!

Tom Clurey: Thanks for the medal Byron. I have never enjoyed a season more than 2020 and that was just watching the Crows get the wooden spoon. I don’t think I deserve the medal, because Lynch was a pile of sh!t today, and it’s rare for defenders to get awards in 120 point wins but I’ll take it anyway. PEPE’ LE PEW!!!

"Yeah nah I talked to Wakes before the game and he told me I owed him a slab of Prison Bar pale if Lynch got a single touch, so it was good to keep the entire Lynch bloodline on donuts in AFL GFs against Ports NIGEL F***EN THORNBERRY"

Tom “Cluzza’ Clurey is obviously going to win the Norm Smith medal. Any path to a Port Premiership will see him in a showdown with one of the following: Tom Hawkins, Tom Lynch (Rich), Josh Kennedy (WC) or Eric Hipwood. As you can see, the winning of this match-up, and therefore the premiership, and therefore the Norm Smith is in Tom Clurey’s hands.

With those facts in mind, I thought it might be worth putting some ideas together for what Tom could say after Choppy “Byron” Pickett hands him the medal on GF day, that we could pass on to the dub. Maybe some prompts could be:

• 15.1 beep test result at the draft combine, best among key defenders
  • Originally from a sheep and canola farm
  • Nickname is “Cluzza”, based on his surname: Clurey
  • His childhood primary school in Invergordon has since closed
  • Plays full back
These are just some tantalising starters to get everyone thinking before the now traditional Grand Final week Port BigFooty board voluntary brainstorm. See details below about effective brainstorming, so you don’t come underprepared:

(Mods feel free to pin this thread)

Hard to win the medal without being selected....

*melts*

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back