Who will win?

• Carlsen

Votes: 11 84.6%
  • Nepo

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters
1637874402051.png

FRIDAY 26 NOVEMBER - THURSDAY 16 DECEMBER

Magnus Carlsen (NOR, World #1, 2855 rating) v Ian Nepomniachtchi (RUS, World #5, 2782 rating)

First to 7.5 wins, tiebreak at 7-7

As this match is at a London friendly time, I plan to give my views on each of the games in this thread. Feel free to join in!​

Aug 16, 2009
Bovine University
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea, Vikings
The last World Championships was what helped me get back into chess (even tho it was criticised for too many draws!). I'm not good enough to see 5 moves in advance or follow the matches in real time, but its always fun watching YouTube videos and analyses post-match.
Expecting Magnus to win, but just hoping for some exciting chess at the least

The last World Championships was what helped me get back into chess (even tho it was criticised for too many draws!). I'm not good enough to see 5 moves in advance or follow the matches in real time, but its always fun watching YouTube videos and analyses post-match.
Expecting Magnus to win, but just hoping for some exciting chess at the least

I watched one of the games in London. They did it well although yes, too many draws!

Aug 16, 2009
Bovine University
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea, Vikings
I watched one of the games in London. They did it well although yes, too many draws!
Wow you went to a game? That's super commitment- I'd love to go to one!
Stupid question, but I've always wondered: at these events, do you watch the board? Or are there TVs to see the game without straining your eyes?

Wow you went to a game? That's super commitment- I'd love to go to one!
Stupid question, but I've always wondered: at these events, do you watch the board? Or are there TVs to see the game without straining your eyes?

The game is actually in a soundproof room to avoid distractions. I presume it's a 2 way window as well so they can't see spectators. You watch the match from the other side but you can't see the position, there are TV screens with the position. Outside there are rooms where the people commentate/analyse the game.

It was a great experience! Fingers crossed a major event comes to Australia, they'd really do it well and would bring a lot more fans to chess.

Dec 7, 2000
Victoria home of football
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles
Listening to the commentary and analysis live is extremely eye opening. I see the position and try to guess where I would move, when the GMs happen to analyse my move the depth they see just blows me away.

FM's and IM's are strong, but compared to a GM they are still just patzers.
I've played all of FMs, IMs and GMs in OTB tournaments. FMs are ok, they're probably more consistent than anything else. If you're playing at 1800 rating (my peak FIDE) they are not beyond beating.
IMs are incredibly solid and at 1800 you won't beat them. At 2200 you won't beat them! They just seem to have enough resources to not drop games to anyone below IM.

But GMs are a whole different kettle of fish. You know when you're playing vs Fritz or Stockfish, anything after move 10 seems to be an instant loss? That's what it's like playing vs a GM. Have played a French GM in a blitz OTB and my position went from "yeah I'm fine" to "everything is hanging" in the space of about 3 moves :tearsofjoy:

I can't even imagine what it's like to play vs one of these super GMs who smack <2700 GMs like they're just an annoyance.

The first two games have been fascinating though. Akthough it was a couple of draws, to me it showed that both players were up for the fight and were well-prepared.

That said, there was an element of safety in the games. Looking forward to more attacking play!

Dec 7, 2000
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles
A few top GMs are coming out saying Nepo looks disinterested. Nepo playing very quickly, which at first was interpreted as good opening prep, but he's missed a few opportunities to punish Carlsen's dodgy sideline openings by playing the natural moves rather than the correct ones.

Dec 7, 2000
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles
Longest game in World Championship history and it lasted nearly 8 hours. Was a brilliant game.
Was watching before bed. Woke up the following morning and it was still going.

Actually was a bit disoriented for a second, there was sunlight out the window but because the game was still going it couldn't possibly be morning. Couldn't even comprehend a game going that long.

Incredible game.

Mar 12, 2021
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, LA Lakers, LSU Tigers
I really didn’t think he looked significantly worse after the pawn blunder in Game 8, but he kind of collapsed the position didn’t he.

Haven’t watched Game 9 yet just read some analysis. Expecting Carlsen to play really textbook today and force another draw.

Back