World Cup 2019 Day 3 - Afghanistan v Australia - 10:30PM AEST - Sri Lanka v NZ 7:30

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PhatBoy

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Geelong
Rubbish, they had the chance to bowl at an Australian line up for 50 overs, they chose not too in turn of batting for 30 and bowling for less, this is a country starved of quality opposition, if you think I'm wrong you're a noonce.
A nonce.

Ouch. Well I don’t want to look like one of them

Great point though.

No need to work on their biggest weakness and learn to set totals against good opposition. Better to concede the game and just treat it like. 300 ball net session.

I hope my team pays Collingwood the same respect next time we meet

Last edited:
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Fremantle, WA, Associates
If the pitches wear down over the weeks the Afghan attack may be more threatening, but they're fairly toothless aside from Hassan if the pitch isn't offering the spinners much. Rashid and Mujeeb can both go for runs, which teams are starting to figure out. Nabi is tighter, but takes less wickets - needs assistance to keep the pressure on.

Good win.

Naib is the new captain. Lots of controversy surrounding his appointment. Maybe Speaker can shed some light on it.
The ACB has adopted their politicking from the PCB.

grumbleguts

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So their best chance to learn to win, is to be set 400, have no chance to win, and get crushed.

Rather than say, making a respectable total, and then actually utilising the one absolutely glaring strength they have - their spin attack - and trying to get in the game and make their opponent work with some scoreboard pressure
Having read this entire thread, the evidence suggests I'm going to type this slowly so you can read it. The best chance of a far lower ranked team beating a far higher ranked team is to bowl first. NOT bat first. If they bat first, their score will either be very very low trying to shoot for the stars and falling for under 100, or trying to just stay in, and hence scoring 220 which is not enough, because the far better team will not over extend themselves going for it. They can safely nudge it around knowing the target is always in reach. If however they bowl first, there is some chance the better team will (not knowing a target) shoot for a higher score than they need, giving rise to a potential collapse. The only way a real minnow can win an ODI is if the established team collapses. They won't collapse chasing 220, but they might collapse chasing some imagined total.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Frank Gallagher

Diamond Encrusted Unobtainium Premium Member
AFL Club
Collingwood
Having read this entire thread, the evidence suggests I'm going to type this slowly so you can read it. The best chance of a far lower ranked team beating a far higher ranked team is to bowl first. NOT bat first. If they bat first, their score will either be very very low trying to shoot for the stars and falling for under 100, or trying to just stay in, and hence scoring 220 which is not enough, because the far better team will not over extend themselves going for it. They can safely nudge it around knowing the target is always in reach. If however they bowl first, there is some chance the better team will (not knowing a target) shoot for a higher score than they need, giving rise to a potential collapse. The only way a real minnow can win an ODI is if the established team collapses. They won't collapse chasing 220, but they might collapse chasing some imagined total.
Exactly, batting first also puts enormous pressure on the bowlers when defending low totals, line and length goes out the window and the bowlers start attacking the stumps trying to take a wkt with every ball, they and all minnow sides should bowl first everytime they play a quality opponent.

PhatBoy

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Geelong
It’s not a lie, if you believe it.

The entire commentary team was wrong. You are right

eddiesmith

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England Cronulla
Such a shame I missed Steve Smiths amazing 18, Fox Sports said he was the star of the show...Barely a mention for Australia’s 2nd highest scorer who took the game away from Afghanistan at the start of the innings...

CrowBloke

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
I for one like that we don't just have 100% ex cricketers hosting. Their talent is cricket, not TV hosting/commentary.
Fair enough.
I prefer the host to have had some experience playing cricket, not just beach/backyard either. Sports at International level are about nuance, key moments, little things with big results that lend themselves to host comments and good questions aimed at panel members (Tubs and Healy, in this case).
Maddern has a long record of hosting in a number of sports programs, but ODI World Cup? Not for mine.

In the long run, it doesn't matter. She's there.

CrowBloke

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Served his suspension. Is eligible to play again. End of story.
Yes, this ... and this:
This. I can’t stand the bloke but he was tried, sentenced, and served it.
Me, too; but he's done his time with stoicism and looks like he's learned from it.

ozzz

Debutant
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton Carlton Carlton
I'm guessing that Mohammad Shahzad is the type of opening batsman who prefers smashing boundaries, rather than running those exhausting ones, twos and especially threes. Not that we got a chance to see either last night.

images.jpg

CrowBloke

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Barely a mention for Australia’s 2nd highest scorer who took the game away from Afghanistan at the start of the innings...
Finch :thumbsu:. VERY good Captain's knock. I loved the way he belted anything short, wow.

The raves about Smith's 18 :rolleyes: and your comment above remind me of a satirical cartoon years ago, related to Australia's "Golden Girl", Lisa Curry:
Beneath a caricature of a beaming/bright/beautiful Curry on a newspaper front page was the caption:
"LISA CURRY COMES SECOND!!
Some other Aussie wins gold." (paraphrasing; I Googled, didn't find it)

Steve Smith scores 18!! Some other Aussie got only 48 more.

PhatBoy

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm guessing that Mohammad Shahzad is the type of opening batsman who prefers smashing boundaries, rather than running those exhausting ones, twos and especially threes. Not that we got a chance to see either last night.

View attachment 684983
In his defence, there’s an opener for the West Indies who’s been around for 20 years that has the same attitude and he’s built a lot better than Shahzad lol

BJK#5

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Such a shame I missed Steve Smiths amazing 18, Fox Sports said he was the star of the show...Barely a mention for Australia’s 2nd highest scorer who took the game away from Afghanistan at the start of the innings...
Shouldn't expect anything better from them to be honest.

They don't cover cricket, they cover Smith and Warner.

They don't cover the tennis, they talk about Kyrgios, Federer and Williams

They don't cover the NBA, they talk about Ben Simmons and Lebron.

They don't cover sport, they just dribble **** with garbage headlines to appeal to the casual sports fan who doesn't know better.

BJK#5

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hopefully this game can give Finch and Warner the confidence they need going forward. Come the end of the tournament we could really look back on this game and see how crucial it was for them to get some time in the middle if they go on to have a big world cup.

Top Bottom