World Cup 2019 Day 3 - Afghanistan v Australia - 10:30PM AEST - Sri Lanka v NZ 7:30

Remove this Banner Ad

Rubbish, they had the chance to bowl at an Australian line up for 50 overs, they chose not too in turn of batting for 30 and bowling for less, this is a country starved of quality opposition, if you think I'm wrong you're a noonce.

A nonce.

Ouch. Well I don’t want to look like one of them

Great point though.

No need to work on their biggest weakness and learn to set totals against good opposition. Better to concede the game and just treat it like. 300 ball net session.

I hope my team pays Collingwood the same respect next time we meet

Last edited:
Great to see Davey Warner back in the Aussie team making runs great to watch when he’s in form

Easy win for Australia as predicted but the main thing is Warner and s**t break got time in the middle

If the pitches wear down over the weeks the Afghan attack may be more threatening, but they're fairly toothless aside from Hassan if the pitch isn't offering the spinners much. Rashid and Mujeeb can both go for runs, which teams are starting to figure out. Nabi is tighter, but takes less wickets - needs assistance to keep the pressure on.

Good win.

Naib is the new captain. Lots of controversy surrounding his appointment. Maybe Speaker can shed some light on it.

The ACB has adopted their politicking from the PCB.

So their best chance to learn to win, is to be set 400, have no chance to win, and get crushed.

Rather than say, making a respectable total, and then actually utilising the one absolutely glaring strength they have - their spin attack - and trying to get in the game and make their opponent work with some scoreboard pressure
Having read this entire thread, the evidence suggests I'm going to type this slowly so you can read it. The best chance of a far lower ranked team beating a far higher ranked team is to bowl first. NOT bat first. If they bat first, their score will either be very very low trying to shoot for the stars and falling for under 100, or trying to just stay in, and hence scoring 220 which is not enough, because the far better team will not over extend themselves going for it. They can safely nudge it around knowing the target is always in reach. If however they bowl first, there is some chance the better team will (not knowing a target) shoot for a higher score than they need, giving rise to a potential collapse. The only way a real minnow can win an ODI is if the established team collapses. They won't collapse chasing 220, but they might collapse chasing some imagined total.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having read this entire thread, the evidence suggests I'm going to type this slowly so you can read it. The best chance of a far lower ranked team beating a far higher ranked team is to bowl first. NOT bat first. If they bat first, their score will either be very very low trying to shoot for the stars and falling for under 100, or trying to just stay in, and hence scoring 220 which is not enough, because the far better team will not over extend themselves going for it. They can safely nudge it around knowing the target is always in reach. If however they bowl first, there is some chance the better team will (not knowing a target) shoot for a higher score than they need, giving rise to a potential collapse. The only way a real minnow can win an ODI is if the established team collapses. They won't collapse chasing 220, but they might collapse chasing some imagined total.
Exactly, batting first also puts enormous pressure on the bowlers when defending low totals, line and length goes out the window and the bowlers start attacking the stumps trying to take a wkt with every ball, they and all minnow sides should bowl first everytime they play a quality opponent.

It’s not a lie, if you believe it.

The entire commentary team was wrong. You are right

Great to see Davey Warner back in the Aussie team

Could not agree less with this. Warner is a classic bully and boor. Should never have been allowed back in Australian uniform following his disgraceful antics in SA. CA should have marked his papers 'never again'.

Could not agree less with this. Warner is a classic bully and boor. Should never have been allowed back in Australian uniform following his disgraceful antics in SA. CA should have marked his papers 'never again'.

Served his suspension. Is eligible to play again. End of story.

I for one like that we don't just have 100% ex cricketers hosting. Their talent is cricket, not TV hosting/commentary.
Fair enough.
I prefer the host to have had some experience playing cricket, not just beach/backyard either. Sports at International level are about nuance, key moments, little things with big results that lend themselves to host comments and good questions aimed at panel members (Tubs and Healy, in this case).
Maddern has a long record of hosting in a number of sports programs, but ODI World Cup? Not for mine.

In the long run, it doesn't matter. She's there.

I'm guessing that Mohammad Shahzad is the type of opening batsman who prefers smashing boundaries, rather than running those exhausting ones, twos and especially threes. Not that we got a chance to see either last night.

images.jpg

Barely a mention for Australia’s 2nd highest scorer who took the game away from Afghanistan at the start of the innings...
Finch :thumbsu:. VERY good Captain's knock. I loved the way he belted anything short, wow.

The raves about Smith's 18 :rolleyes: and your comment above remind me of a satirical cartoon years ago, related to Australia's "Golden Girl", Lisa Curry:
Beneath a caricature of a beaming/bright/beautiful Curry on a newspaper front page was the caption:
"LISA CURRY COMES SECOND!!
Some other Aussie wins gold." (paraphrasing; I Googled, didn't find it)

Steve Smith scores 18!! Some other Aussie got only 48 more.

I'm guessing that Mohammad Shahzad is the type of opening batsman who prefers smashing boundaries, rather than running those exhausting ones, twos and especially threes. Not that we got a chance to see either last night.

View attachment 684983

In his defence, there’s an opener for the West Indies who’s been around for 20 years that has the same attitude and he’s built a lot better than Shahzad lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back