World Cup 2019 Day 3 - Afghanistan v Australia - 10:30PM AEST - Sri Lanka v NZ 7:30

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Such a shame I missed Steve Smiths amazing 18, Fox Sports said he was the star of the show...Barely a mention for Australia’s 2nd highest scorer who took the game away from Afghanistan at the start of the innings...
Shouldn't expect anything better from them to be honest.

They don't cover cricket, they cover Smith and Warner.

They don't cover the tennis, they talk about Kyrgios, Federer and Williams

They don't cover the NBA, they talk about Ben Simmons and Lebron.

They don't cover sport, they just dribble s**t with garbage headlines to appeal to the casual sports fan who doesn't know better.

Aug 27, 2007
brisbane
AFL Club
Essendon
Finch :thumbsu:. VERY good Captain's knock. I loved the way he belted anything short, wow.

The raves about Smith's 18 :rolleyes: and your comment above remind me of a satirical cartoon years ago, related to Australia's "Golden Girl", Lisa Curry:
Beneath a caricature of a beaming/bright/beautiful Curry on a newspaper front page was the caption:
"LISA CURRY COMES SECOND!!
Some other Aussie wins gold." (paraphrasing; I Googled, didn't find it)

Steve Smith scores 18!! Some other Aussie got only 48 more.
That’s how basil zempilas commentates on swimming. Kate Ledecky could break a long standing record. He’d treat it like a heat swim. If the Australian finishes 6th he’d treat it like she won the gold medal

Last edited:

BlueBayou

Premiership Player
Apr 28, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
This. I can’t stand the bloke but he was tried, sentenced, and served it.
Yes, this ... and this:

Me, too; but he's done his time with stoicism and looks like he's learned from it.

From my POV the sentence was far too lenient. He brought Australian cricket in to disrepute and threw away 150ish years of tradition of hard nosed but ultimately fair play. The sentence should have been a lifelong ban.

And besides, just because he is eligible to play, it does not mean he must be selected. Hell, I'm eligible, but I'm nearing 60 and couldn't make a dozen in the local 4th's. Do I get selected? :)

Jan 6, 2004
jfgjgfj
From my POV the sentence was far too lenient. He brought Australian cricket in to disrepute and threw away 150ish years of tradition of hard nosed but ultimately fair play. The sentence should have been a lifelong ban.

And besides, just because he is eligible to play, it does not mean he must be selected. Hell, I'm eligible, but I'm nearing 60 and couldn't make a dozen in the local 4th's. Do I get selected? :)

Oh give me a break, Warne took drugs and money from book makers and he retired a legend, the only difference between then and now is the power of online outrage through social media.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
Late to the party, watching the highlights on Fox now
Are the cameras at one end on someone's apartment balcony??

BlueBayou

Premiership Player
Apr 28, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Oh give me a break, Warne took drugs and money from book makers and he retired a legend, the only difference between then and now is the power of online outrage through social media.

You don't get to make things up.

Warne took a diuretic to lose body fluid because his mum told him he was looking chubby on TV. He did not know it was a masking agent for performance enhancing drugs. There was no performance enhancement involved. Do you think diuretics would help with the 3 pace run up?

I know of no evidence he took money from anyone to effect the outcome of a match in a deleterious way (he got paid by CA to win matches of course.) My recollection is he got money from some bookies (with M. Waugh) to tell them the pitch conditions. Unsavoury perhaps, but has no influence on the game.

Warne was a dill, Warner is a cheat. Simples.

Online outrage did not cause D. Warner to cheat. False argument.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong

Warne took a diuretic to lose body fluid because his mum told him he was looking chubby on TV. He did not know it was a masking agent for performance enhancing drugs. There was no performance enhancement involved. Do you think diuretics would help with the 3 pace run up?

I know of no evidence he took money from anyone to effect the outcome of a match in a deleterious way (he got paid by CA to win matches of course.) My recollection is he got money from some bookies (with M. Waugh) to tell them the pitch conditions. Unsavoury perhaps, but has no influence on the game.

I take it you also believe in the tooth fairy and James Hird's account of the "supplement scandal". Unreal.

Having read this entire thread, the evidence suggests I'm going to type this slowly so you can read it. The best chance of a far lower ranked team beating a far higher ranked team is to bowl first. NOT bat first. If they bat first, their score will either be very very low trying to shoot for the stars and falling for under 100, or trying to just stay in, and hence scoring 220 which is not enough, because the far better team will not over extend themselves going for it. They can safely nudge it around knowing the target is always in reach. If however they bowl first, there is some chance the better team will (not knowing a target) shoot for a higher score than they need, giving rise to a potential collapse. The only way a real minnow can win an ODI is if the established team collapses. They won't collapse chasing 220, but they might collapse chasing some imagined total.

Afghanistan is more comfortable defending a low total than chasing a large one.

Jan 6, 2004
jfgjgfj
Warne is also a lot more likeable than Warner, I don't recall Warne being booed by the crowd like Warner is even after all his scandals.

Was also a different time, Warne was actually booed after taking money from the bookie but these things just didn't have the same fuel before social media.

None of this changes how silly it is to believe Warner sullied an otherwise spotless 150 year cricketing reputation, australia were despised by the cricket world before this after this and still will be when every Aussie is a tim Paine clone.

BlueBayou

Premiership Player
Apr 28, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Was also a different time, Warne was actually booed after taking money from the bookie but these things just didn't have the same fuel before social media.

None of this changes how silly it is to believe Warner sullied an otherwise spotless 150 year cricketing reputation, australia were despised by the cricket world before this after this and still will be when every Aussie is a tim Paine clone.

Care to enlighten us about all the other Aussie characters over those 150 years who have been found guilty of cheating in a cricket match? (don't say Bancroft)

Jan 6, 2004
jfgjgfj
Care to enlighten us about all the other Aussie characters over those 150 years who have been found guilty of cheating in a cricket match? (don't say Bancroft)

Well like is said shane warne cheated which was why he was banned for a year he and mark waugh waugh also sold out their team and country for easy cash from a man they knew to be an india bookie.

The real issue is many in the cricket word considered our pre planned sledging and abuse far worse than ball tampering(you only have to look at the lack of outcry over ball tampering compared to our sledging over the years to see how minor an issue it is for the cricket world even after players admitted using bottletops and the like to get reverse) which is why this whole notion of a proud sporting nation being sullied is ridiculous, nobody respected our cricketing team before this incident.

In the years to come when teams have their own players involved in scandals they won't turn on their own like we did they will simply deny deny deny and then go on the attack in an attempt to save their own, our players will now be mocked by the cricketing world for what they did but banning them won't bring this respect or admiration aussie fans seem to think is our birthright, other teams aren't looking at us as a beacon of light they simply see us dog piling on our best players and they are thinking s**t yeah i want a piece of these pricks as well.

Jan 6, 2004
jfgjgfj

On s**t you actually believe the story about his mum, still If you don't think such a arrogant vain bloke could be capable of taking performance enhancing drugs then so be it.

p.s. warner was a cheat and nobody made him do it and he was a ******* idiot for doing it i was simply saying we as a group react faster and more brutally when dealing with famous people when they * up than we did in the past before social media became such a key factor in these things, it's not always a bad thing but it can lead to over reactions, warne does what he did in 2019 the sponsors panic CA panic and his career could have been over just for the bookmaker incident alone.

to1994

Club Legend
Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon

They weren't actually found guilty. They were suspected of ball tampering, owned up to it and admitted their mistake.

Unfortunately that turned out to be the bigger mistake because people like you got on their high horse, blasted them for admitting to something stupid and demanded their heads. It resulted into the pathetic organisation that is Cricket Australia potentially wrecking their careers by making the short sighted, gutless decision to ban them for 12 months without any real plan.

The only real lesson here is that admitting to anything on live television is a very bad idea and it is something that will never be repeated. As other nations have shown, as long as you deny it, it's a grey area and even if found guilty by the ICC you'll just cop a slap on the wrist.

It's funny that you defend Warne for making up an excuse given that if Smith/Bancroft had of done the same this wouldn't even be an issue and you wouldn't even be talking about it.

The incident was stupid and shouldn't have happened but the outcry from the Australian public was embarrassing and all we got out of it was a Test series loss for India and ensuring a once in a generation player in Smith likely battling demons for the rest of his sporting career.

WCfan22

WCE tragic
Apr 1, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
WWE

Above comment is the exact thing that is wrong with noses up in the air cricket fans in australia that think their crap dont stink and weve never cheated and have always played fair blah blah blah ask nz fans and number 1 on the list is the underarm ball shut up already mr high and mighty

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast

On an unrelated note, I’ve got a bridge for sale if you’re interested.

Coasters7

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea

Online outrage caused CA to bow to the pressure and give an inflated suspension for an act that had previously only resulted in a couple of games. Regardless.. he’s served both suspensions and is clearly our second best player behind Smith. Time to move on

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
Hopefully they’re still there when we’re on the winner’s podium receiving the World Cup.

Doubt they'll drop Davey, so you've got no chance of actually beating anyone

England might adopt the keep Davey in strategy, cos if he is in it for himself, Australia ain't going to be making a match winning total

Back