World Cup 2019 Day 5 England (Poms) v Pakistan @ Nottingham

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi boys, I wasn't expecting this. Pom are overrated, even a team like pakistan thrashed them to oblivion. Such an overrated bunch

Oh, so because you won a World Cup with a much better side at home 4 years ago, one win against Afghanistan makes up for 4 years of failure in between?

There is a reason England is rated highly and that’s because they regularly chase scores like this. Is Australia going to chase 350?
You were so confident.

So much faith in pre cup performances.

Terrific game for the second night in a row.

The Pakistani's have batted well against the English pretty consistently over the past month or two, making good defendable scores before being blown away in the field. Today I felt the English bowlers were just that little bit more erroneous and Woakes impressive catching aside the fielding was very substandard. I don't understand why they're dropping Plunkett.

Missed the early parts English innings, but rare to see England not getting the job done when guys like Root & Buttler get into that sort of groove. Never been much of a wrap for Wahab, but that was a bloody good finish.

Not terminal for England by any stretch and it'd still be a surprise to see Pakistan play that well for the remainder of the tournament, but great result nonetheless!

Very typical of England. Have consistently played the game with a mentality of not to lose which means they don't play to win.

But in their case that mentality is tempered a bit because they absolutely bat to win.

I actually think it’s a fairly positive approach - they basically say ‘we back ourselves to get whatever you can possibly set us.’
Last night was the first chase they’ve lost at home in 4 years so it must be working pretty well for the most part

I love seeing england fail but one very small part of me would be disappointed if they didn’t win (assuming the alternative is likely to be India) purely because for the first time I can remember in my lifetime, england is actually changing the way the game is played and they have been the best at it for quite a while now.

We’ve seen steps forward in one day cricket - small ones usually, from the way slower all-rounders were bought into teams in the late 80s to slow scoring, Greatbatch throwing the bat early, that was built on by Kalu and Jayasuriya, spinners becoming openers like Dipak Patel, spinners becoming primary attacking threats - and perhaps the biggest leap forward of all is just this relentless ‘throw the bat from ball 1 to ball 300’ approach from England.

For most of those sides a modicum or success has followed at World Cup level.

In true England style though I’ve got no doubt they’ll find a way to f*** it up though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love seeing england fail but one very small part of me would be disappointed if they didn’t win (assuming the alternative is likely to be India) purely because for the first time I can remember in my lifetime, england is actually changing the way the game is played and they have been the best at it for quite a while now.

We’ve seen steps forward in one day cricket - small ones usually, from the way slower all-rounders were bought into teams in the late 80s to slow scoring, Greatbatch throwing the bat early, that was built on by Kalu and Jayasuriya, spinners becoming openers like Dipak Patel, spinners becoming primary attacking threats - and perhaps the biggest leap forward of all is just this relentless ‘throw the bat from ball 1 to ball 300’ approach from England.

In true England style though I’ve got no doubt they’ll find a way to f*** it up though

Calling it a leap forward implies it's a good thing.

I'm not to up to date on one day cricket. What did England do different?

With Root and Buttler scoring tons you would've thought England would win that but they didn't get much support from the rest of their batsmen.

Pakistan on the other hand didn't score any tons but got good contributions from their whole top order.

Good to have some unpredictable results for the sake of the tournament, just about every team in it is capable of winning any game on their day.
It's kind of surprising how little support Root and Buttler had considering how deep England's batting is. Afghanistans tail rallied their innings better than Englands.

I don’t know that any side has ever purely and simply gone out with the plan A, B and C to thrash from the start come hell or high water.
Ahh yeah fair enough that does sound like a different tactic, its been get 5 an over for the first 10, do nothing for the next 20, then go crazy late for ages.

Just saw the highlights then without knowing the score. What a cracking game!

Up the Paki's!!!!!!!

England will look at that game and wonder - aside from the s**t fielding - how they lost it.

For a side who has routinely made chases like that look like a doddle to not win despite two centurions - its a remarkable outcome.

They are going to try and win without a bowling attack. Kind of like back to the future stacking their side with trundler "all rounders" like Ali & Woakes.

This would be more accurate if Woakes was an all rounder trundler without 57 wickets at 25 since the start of 2017 and a current top 10 ranking.

Ali is putrid but he was the only thing stopping them chasing 4
380 last night

They have a big advantage in Buttler and Stokes and blowing it by not picking wicket taking bowlers.

Sure Woakes might have a nice average defending a big score with the batsman under pressure but when you get to the world cup you need wicket taking bowlers that can change the course of the match. Someone to reel in a Kohli, Sharma, Dhoni, Warner, Finch, Maxwell etc when they are hot otherwise you are just going to get steamrolled once the knockout stages come around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back