World Cup 2019 Day 5 England (Poms) v Pakistan @ Nottingham

Remove this Banner Ad

I love seeing england fail but one very small part of me would be disappointed if they didn’t win (assuming the alternative is likely to be India) purely because for the first time I can remember in my lifetime, england is actually changing the way the game is played and they have been the best at it for quite a while now.

We’ve seen steps forward in one day cricket - small ones usually, from the way slower all-rounders were bought into teams in the late 80s to slow scoring, Greatbatch throwing the bat early, that was built on by Kalu and Jayasuriya, spinners becoming openers like Dipak Patel, spinners becoming primary attacking threats - and perhaps the biggest leap forward of all is just this relentless ‘throw the bat from ball 1 to ball 300’ approach from England.

For most of those sides a modicum or success has followed at World Cup level.

In true England style though I’ve got no doubt they’ll find a way to f*** it up though

It does feel like we are in a similar stage as half way through that 1996 comp and that is right now the jury is still out on englands approach and many still doubt it will hold up in the biggest games, the senior aussies in 96 believed the same would happen to SL in the big knockout games and it wasn't until they lost that final that they finally accepted the game had forever changed and they did respond quickly dumping dead weight like taylor and healy.

England will look at that game and wonder - aside from the **** fielding - how they lost it.

For a side who has routinely made chases like that look like a doddle to not win despite two centurions - its a remarkable outcome.

It's the pressure, I assume. So different to the normal run of the mill one day cricket.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back