Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Fascinating
Australia .....too small, not strong enough physically ....and too timid

France too tall in & around the box

France after half-time just went thru the motions ....conserving energy for a long tournament

PS ....I know nothing about the game ....that makes my comments even more obvious

Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
its only embarrassing if you expected the game to be a contest. It never was going to be. Goodwin getting the opening goal is a great story and a genuine feelgood moment.

France are world champions, have a top tier domestic league and the best player in the world. Their u21's would beat our socceroos.

What is embarrassing is the lack of investment this country puts into football. Until they start taking it seriously, we will always be spectators at these events with the occasional moment of joy.

Jetafl

Club Legend
Sep 24, 2022
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Astros Detroit Red Wings KC Chiefs
Look I acknowledge they have better footballers than us, but we have frog cakes.

Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Weak excuse that ignores the myriad of strategic errors in preparation and horrendous tactical calls in the game.
Excuse for what?

Just like we don't have players of the calibre of Mbapepe and Griezman, we also don't have coaching and tactical staff the quality of Deschamps. Because football in Australia is under-funded.

Its not embarrassing though. It is what it is.

Jul 27, 2004
Las Vegas
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Without wanting to upset the games aficionado's ........this match is like watching the Harlem Globetrotters play the Washington Generals .....embarrassing
I'm not a soccer expert, I was hoping we'd get insight form some of our posters who are

But when their sub is the vice captain of AC Milan and we sub on someone from Luton town (I could be wrong with the Luton town, but you get the point), there was never going to be a question of talent.

I still thought after the first 20 minutes some of our skill errors, especially the 2nd goal were pretty poor. But again. I'm not a soccer expert, only watch it casually.

Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm not a soccer expert, I was hoping we'd get insight form some of our posters who are

But when their sub is the vice captain of AC Milan and we sub on someone from Luton town (I could be wrong with the Luton town, but you get the point), there was never going to be a question of talent.

I still thought after the first 20 minutes some of our skill errors, especially the 2nd goal were pretty poor. But again. I'm not a soccer expert, only watch it casually.
Our best player was probably Goodwin. He would be in the top 3.

Obviously pays for Adelaide. Went overseas and couldn't quite make it. But is a star here.

Thats what I love about soccer. There is so much depth.

Imagine if AFL was played worldwide. Guys like Martin and Oliver are "elite" but if they played AFL in France, Germany, etc - would we be dominant, or would the French and Germans produce another level of footballer greater than what we have ever seen?

Apr 28, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Arsenal, West Adelaide
Without wanting to upset the games aficionado's ........this match is like watching the Harlem Globetrotters play the Washington Generals .....embarrassing

Of course it was like that. Our entire team wouldn't make France's D-squad. There's nothing embarrassing about losing to a team like France.

What was embarrassing were the tactics in the second half. Offered absolutely nothing, passing backwards and sideways at every opportunity. Too timid to at least try attacking because they were scared France would open us up the other way, and then they did that anyway. We scored the first goal by attacking their defence, then just stopped doing that.

Jetafl

Club Legend
Sep 24, 2022
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The salary gap between France's squad and ours is only a lazy 700m. Sometimes the margin between footballers is not as much as their salary suggest but generally, they are just a bit better eg let's take a striker as an example better finisher more composed more consistent. It does not always quite work out that way but normally they are anywhere from better to a lot better quality and that quality shines through throughout the season.

Last edited:
May 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
WWTFC,Chelsea,Glasgow Celtic,Lech Poznan
Our best player was probably Goodwin. He would be in the top 3.

Obviously pays for Adelaide. Went overseas and couldn't quite make it. But is a star here.

Thats what I love about soccer. There is so much depth.

Imagine if AFL was played worldwide. Guys like Martin and Oliver are "elite" but if they played AFL in France, Germany, etc - would we be dominant, or would the French and Germans produce another level of footballer greater than what we have ever seen?
Just like the AFL and major sports, I think Graham Arnold is not up to it internationally. In world cups he is not tactically smart. We were caught out time and again. We were always going to not control possession, but you have to make it as hard as possible for the opposition.

Aug 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Excuse for what?

Just like we don't have players of the calibre of Mbapepe and Griezman, we also don't have coaching and tactical staff the quality of Deschamps. Because football in Australia is under-funded.

Its not embarrassing though. It is what it is.
I didn't expect a win. I did expect close to the best performance possible

But that second half was the worst Australian team performance in a competitive match since Australia 2-2 Solomon Islands at Hindmarsh in 2004. And it's almost entirely Arnold's fault.

arrowman

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 27, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Well, that sucks. This morning I turned on the TV while making breakfast, my bleary early morning eyes saw "France 2 - Australia 1". Oh well. Then later I checked online. :(

But with Denmark only drawing with Tunisia, there is hope! We need to beat Tunisia, hope France beat Denmark, and wrangle a draw with Denmark, and hope the goal difference goes our way. Not impossible. Remember 2006! :rainbow:

- Oh, sorry - is the :rainbow: allowed in a World Cup 2022 thread? :$

Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just like the AFL and major sports, I think Graham Arnold is not up to it internationally. In world cups he is not tactically smart. We were caught out time and again. We were always going to not control possession, but you have to make it as hard as possible for the opposition.
Arnold came out yesterday and said something like we will be competitive because of the Australian spirit. What rot. That's like when little brother talks about playing "the Port Adelaide way" just as they get beaten by another top 8 side.

If he was trying to imply that we would win because we are stronger, faster and hungrier, then he should have watched Saudi Arabia v Argentina. Argentina were poor, but Saudi Arabia gave them no respect at all and got the win by taking it right up to them.

Jetafl

Club Legend
Sep 24, 2022
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
It is not all bad for the Aussies at least when the Danes play us, word is they will bring a minimum of 4 tins of biscuits, so we won't be leaving empty handed.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Arnold came out yesterday and said something like we will be competitive because of the Australian spirit. What rot. That's like when little brother talks about playing "the Port Adelaide way" just as they get beaten by another top 8 side.

If he was trying to imply that we would win because we are stronger, faster and hungrier, then he should have watched Saudi Arabia v Argentina. Argentina were poor, but Saudi Arabia gave them no respect at all and got the win by taking it right up to them.
"Shinboner spirit"

Back