Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Australia

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Japan tops the group not without quite some controversy as the VAR allowed their second goal that looked clearly to have crossed the line. If it was a draw Spain and Germany progress. I'm not unhappy that another team from Asia is through and a European powerhouse is it out, but VAR is supposed there to get things right.

That doesn't look completely out to me

They have a higher overhead shot directly along the line that is a better angle

Japan tops the group not without quite some controversy as the VAR allowed their second goal that looked clearly to have crossed the line. If it was a draw Spain and Germany progress. I'm not unhappy that another team from Asia is through and a European powerhouse is it out, but VAR is supposed there to get things right.

I'm going to want to see some other angles, but that looks like the ball could very well be in. The whole of the ball has to be all of the way over the line; the fact that the ball is not touching the ground on the line is irrelevant.

This may well be a case of VAR getting it right, when a referee might not have.

Here's a good analysis / explanation of the VAR decision in the Japan-Spain game:

Key quotes:

For the VAR, Fernando Guerrero of Mexico, to overturn the decision of the assistant, he has to have definitive evidence that part of the ball is on the line. Importantly, this isn't just about the ball touching the ground. The curvature overhanging the line also counts, even if a very small part of the ball is doing so. (FIFA's new tracking technology cannot be used to determine the ball being in or out of play.)

A photograph from a camera level with the goal-line also appears to prove a small amount of the ball was overhanging the line. That would give the VAR the proof he needs to overturn the on-field decision and award a goal. But this image appeared on the Associated Press' picture service over an hour after the game. The evidence was not provided by FIFA, and that's one of the inherent problems of VAR -- communication with the fans.

Until this point we'd not seen any clear proof that the ball was touching the line when Mitoma cut it back to Tanaka -- even though it actually had on the goal-line camera; we just didn't know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If that was between the uprights and a defender was digging it out you'd be pissed if it wasn't called a goal

Though if you zoom in and make it heavily pixilated you can't see any green between the ball and line

Well at least I have got to the bottom of why my Danes were knocked out kicking me out of the BF sweep in the process their secret note @ 72mins finds it's way into enemy hands.

Exhibit: A)

Last edited:
From what I'm hearing about the note scandal at the WC is Arnold followed the note word for word and he is telling anyone that cares to listen his butter cookies tasted absolutely s**thouse.

Last edited:
The cracks are starting to show in Brazil's 2nd XI.

Well at least I have got to the bottom of why my Danes were knocked out kicking me out of the BF sweep in the process their secret note @ 72mins finds it's way into enemy hands.

Exhibit: A)

Haha, if the Danes were smart, they would have written the note in Danish!

Back