World Cup Day 11 Australia v India @ The Oval.

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Clearly, the blueprint is to go after our bowlers other than Starc and Cummins so we probably need to bring in Behrendorff. Which is unfortunate for NCN. I dont think he bowled too badly after his first over yesterday.

Stoinis is the big problem which I cant see a great alternative for. I think the selectors missed a trick by not taking MMarsh to India and UAE prior to the WC and not having him in the squad as cover for Stoinis. With NCN at 8, there was a bit more cover in the lineup however with a needed change to the bowling attack, puts a bit more pressure on the top order to make the runs.

Long tournament, plenty of improvement ahead.

Smith, stoinis and Maxwell in 7 balls.

Fmd we were right in it until then.

Looks like the Indian bowlers got more out of the pitch than we did. Not much craft with our lads unless there is bounce or swing on offer.

Has anyone even tried to bowl a cutter since MJ retired? :thinking

Whilst we bowled poorly to be fair India had the best of the conditions both with bat and ball. We can take some positives out of the fact we played so shithouse and didn't get completely obliterated

It's clear we are missing another bowler which makes me think we can't afford to have both Maxwell and Stoinis in the same team. Neither batting is good enough to be top 6 therefore I would drop one of them.

It's clear we are missing another bowler which makes me think we can't afford to have both Maxwell and Stoinis in the same team. Neither batting is good enough to be top 6 therefore I would drop one of them.

this was a perfectly clear thing before the WC, plus zampa/lyon being a worry, but if you drop one of them people start to worry that there isn't enough batting either.

I suspect they'll move Carey up given his two good performances and risk NCN at 7

Thats been a positive so far - Carey's batting. That dropped catch was crucial though yesterday.

Couple of times we managed to tighten the screws on a good batting pitch, the we let them off. Last 5-6 overs were expensive as well. Could have been chasing 300-320.

this was a perfectly clear thing before the WC, plus zampa/lyon being a worry, but if you drop one of them people start to worry that there isn't enough batting either.

I suspect they'll move Carey up given his two good performances and risk NCN at 7

Bowling will win you this world cup given the roads that are being prepared. Carey at 6 and NCN at 7 is worth the risk. It's not like Stoinis is offering much with the bat at the moment.

Rant first,

Well went to bed after one of the worst innings I have seen from an Australian player in some time.

That innings by Warner has to be one of the worst innings of of his career. There is something seriously wrong with his mental state atm...this is not the warner pre ban....56 off 84 balls at a strike rate of 66 chasing 350 and contributing to the run out of Finch...its just not good enough

I was all for Warner to be picked based upon his past performances and his stunning IPL form but this is just terrible for a so called world class player. Can he not handle the constant booing from the crowd????...the jests the laughter...because atm he is a shadow of his former self and its embarrassing for himself and the team. Yes he did score 80 against the Ghans but that was also scratchie at best.....this innings was just bad bad bad

Its not that he batted badly its also we had to move Usman down the order to accommodate warner.....where usman is not suited and he is a better opener in the ODI game we also had to drop a player averaging over 50 who is good in the middle order in S marsh

Negatives
Bowling apart from Starc and Cummins is toothless....Lyon needs to come in for Zampa and I would give Dorf a go soon
Stoinis.....seriously what is the point.....has done nothing for the past 12 months...does not not contribute with bat or ball....passenger atm

Postives
For me the biggest positives....was S Smith batting at three...thought he looked very good ..class player
well played to carey for scoring the fastest 50 by aussied in the world cup......kept well...apart from that catch :(
thought cummins tried hard with the ball

We have to accept that we ain't bowling teams out in this tournament so we might as well stack the batting lineup. Drop Warner, open UK with his portly compatriot and bat Shaun Marsh in the top 5 for Stoinis. NCN is on thin ice too

I agree with the above, we have to bring in another bowler. I think that is at the expense of Stoinis.

I know not everyone agrees with this but if I was picking a side I wouldn't bother with Khawaja. I'd play Marsh given he is the only other option available.

The other option which again not everyone is going to agree with but I think Carey can open but then what do we do with Finch or Warner. To me the mix of the squad is wrong.

I still think we can make the Semi's and I guess from there we will need a heap of luck and Smith to continue his good form. As long as we make the semi's having a loss at this stage gives sometime to reset.

Lots of criticism over the batting line-up here...

They were chasing 350. It would have been a World Cup record, an oval record, 8th highest chase of all time - against an attack with the number 1, 7 and 8 currently ranked bowlers in the world.

They were up s**t creek before they started. England couldn't do similar v a weaker attack in Pakistan. Chasing big scores is very hard.

Bowlers need to be focused on. Behrendorff must be considered.

Was only a matter of time before the real Stoinis showed up. Average domestic performer and it's showing. Always should have been MMarsh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carey would feel insulted being asked to bat behind Stoinis. Anyone batting behind Stoinis is officially a tailender. All top 5 batsmen getting starts, handy scores, but we needed at least one of them to go and score 100 if we were to get close. India always seems to have someone who gets 100. Let's face it, we have some good players in the team, but way too many ordinary ones.

I'd certainly move Carey ahead of Stoinis, not sure about NCN at 7. I get the feeling he's had his one good hit for the tournament.

We have the Pakistanis in 2 days' time, their batsmen will be rubbing their hands together in anticipation. A must win for both teams. Warnie, please tell me again why Stoinis is an automatic pick, I'd love to hear it. We should shoot him and save the fare home.

No disaster yet,if we got bundled out for 200 I would be worried but we have still put up a solid total with a team not firing on all cylinders yet.
India played out of their skins today.

Not really. Their top 3 are all world-class, have some excellent lower order hitting which is amplified without pressure, they are a well oiled fielding machine and a great bowling attack lead by the best bowler.

They played about as expected. They and England have set the standard we need to rise too consistently, it's not a matter of "They won't play like that again so our standard is fine".

Bowling just not near as accurate as india

NCN has to go as a front line bowler imo

Maxwell needed to go out earlier imo

Warner too slow but have to build a base

We just gave away too many especially if starc gets tonked makes it hard

I don’t see the appeal with Zampa

Carey would feel insulted being asked to bat behind Stoinis. Anyone batting behind Stoinis is officially a tailender. All top 5 batsmen getting starts, handy scores, but we needed at least one of them to go and score 100. Let's face it, we have some good players in the team, but way too many ordinary ones.

I'd certainly move Carey ahead of Stoinis, not sure about NCN at 7. I get the feeling he's had his one good hit for the tournament.

We have the Pakistanis in 2 days' time, their batsmen will be rubbing their hands together in anticipation. A must win for both teams. Warnie, please tell me again why Stoinis is an automatic pick, I'd love to hear it. We should shoot him and save the fare home.

I’d certainly sacrifice stoinis bowling for another batsmen in the side or a front line bowler and move Carey NCN up

Id like us to try 1 of 2 options:

1) Marsh and Behrendorff in for Stoinis and NCN - try get 10 out of Maxwell/Finch + maybe 1 or 2 from Smith.
2) Stoinis for Behrendorff. NCN as the allrounder @ 7.

Plenty of room for improvement and only 36 runs behind.

They really showed us how to death bowl. We really weren't good enough bowling in the last 10. That's the 'phase' that hurt us. We were on more runs after 40 overs than they were.
The last 30 overs were rubbish, not just the "death".
Get 'dorff in for Stoinis. Yes, there's a loss in batting, but there might be a chance to retain some control when Cummins isn't on.

Given Zamps was having a horror show and Maxwell is a handy abck-up 6th or 7th bowler and nothing more, maybe. Is he still carrying that injury though? he might not be fit to bowl.
I thought I saw him bowling in one of the lead in games. You know you'll get a bit of rubbish from him but he's still capable of landing the odd beauty.

Warner batting just showed he remains tactically very weak. When you're chasing a big total with an accelerating run rate, matching opponent's tracked scoring speed is not enough let along going behind it. To keep the chance alive you should try to bat out the underlined run rate as early as possible, not expecting 15+ rpo overs are possible any time later in the inning. We've seen plenty of T20 and one day matches unfolding that way.

Back