World Cup Day 14 Australia v Pakistan @ Taunton

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Never had any doubt. Especially with the start we made. Woke up with he Paki's needing 75 odd with 3 wickets remaining and even with them closing in smashing 14 off 3 and another 6 a little later, never doubted my Aussies.

What took us so long with the review? Leaving it with 1 second remaining, it was always worth a shot and at that stage of the game have to try your luck. And it paid off. Was curtains from there and you just new Starc and co would finish em off and that he did.

Bloody...............Beaaaaaaaaautiful:cool:

Very good, tense game of cricket.

Can see a few throwing the toys out the cot on here, but cannot fathom why. Pakistan can beat anyone on their day possessing a pretty consistent batting lineup and an often mercurial set of bowlers in front of a highly excitable bunch of fans they were always going to be a chance.

Amir was spectacular, MoTM for mine. To have that level of control while all other bowlers in the game (with the exception of Cummins) battled was very impressive. Sharp as I have seen him bowl since his return and nipped it about to be a very awkward proposition. Marsh and Khawaja were just starting to get going in the 42nd or whatever it was, but he came on removed Khawaja immediately and basically dotted up Carey & Marsh for an over or two before Marsh tried to hit out and also fell. Great bowling.

From an Australian perspective, Warner and Finch did well to get through some nervous moments early and both cashed in to a relative extent (though of course could have been more). Liked that we shuffled the order a bit to suit, but probably in contrast to most I would have put in Marsh or Khawaja in before Maxwell. Had a concern that if both Maxwell and Warner were to fall, then this would leave a bit of a hole in the back end of the innings where we wouldn't have anyone who could immediately walk out and play a cameo (as both Marsh and Khwaja demonstrated, they need around 15 balls or so at least to get to parity in terms of runs scored). Of course could point to the fact that NCN, Carey and Cummins all in the shed mitigated this in the decision process.

Bowling in general has been pushing **** uphill, based on the pitch & conditions felt we at least made the right call on not playing a spinner. Not all that convinced either Richardson or NCN are in the sort of form to make a significant contribution so maybe time to see what Behrendorff is offering. He's generally pretty effective at the top and is as good a chance as any at early wickets, perhaps freeing up Cummins to put the opposition middle order on the back foot through those middle overs.

Can see a few throwing the toys out the cot on here, but cannot fathom why. Pakistan can beat anyone on their day possessing a pretty consistent batting lineup and an often mercurial set of bowlers in front of a highly excitable bunch of fans they were always going to be a chance.

Amir was spectacular, MoTM for mine. To have that level of control while all other bowlers in the game (with the exception of Cummins) battled was very impressive. Sharp as I have seen him bowl since his return and nipped it about to be a very awkward proposition. Marsh and Khawaja were just starting to get going in the 42nd or whatever it was, but he came on removed Khawaja immediately and basically dotted up Carey & Marsh for an over or two before Marsh tried to hit out and also fell. Great bowling.

From an Australian perspective, Warner and Finch did well to get through some nervous moments early and both cashed in to a relative extent (though of course could have been more). Liked that we shuffled the order a bit to suit, but probably in contrast to most I would have put in Marsh or Khawaja in before Maxwell. Had a concern that if both Maxwell and Warner were to fall, then this would leave a bit of a hole in the back end of the innings where we wouldn't have anyone who could immediately walk out and play a cameo (as both Marsh and Khwaja demonstrated, they need around 15 balls or so at least to get to parity in terms of runs scored). Of course could point to the fact that NCN, Carey and Cummins all in the shed mitigated this in the decision process.

Bowling in general has been pushing **** uphill, based on the pitch & conditions felt we at least made the right call on not playing a spinner. Not all that convinced either Richardson or NCN are in the sort of form to make a significant contribution so maybe time to see what Behrendorff is offering. He's generally pretty effective at the top and is as good a chance as any at early wickets, perhaps freeing up Cummins to put the opposition middle order on the back foot through those middle overs.

Pretty fair assessment

It was frustrating to watch but with 70 runs still to get they were always going to give a chance or 2 trying to get the runs.

The bowling after Starc and Cummings is a major concern though , someone mentioned a few days ago this team has a 2011 world cup vibe about it and i sought of agree.

We might be good enough to just get the job done and coast to the last 4 but we are a clear level below India and England and they would both would be very confident of smashing 350 - 400 against us.

I can't see us getting anywhere near winning the thing, carrying far too many players and we alternate between brilliance and ineptitude over to over, let alone session to session. Poms, Indians and the Kiwis are the 3 to beat...

It was frustrating to watch but with 70 runs still to get they were always going to give a chance or 2 trying to get the runs.

The bowling after Starc and Cummings is a major concern though , someone mentioned a few days ago this team has a 2011 world cup vibe about it and i sought of agree.

We might be good enough to just get the job done and coast to the last 4 but we are a clear level below India and England and they would both would be very confident of smashing 350 - 400 against us.
I wonder if NCN, Richardson or Behrendorff may be coincidentally come down with 'stress fracture awareness' the moment Josh Hazelwood lands in the country...think the selectors may be second guessing themselves on this choice right now.

Behrendorff should've played against the Indians, he's got to get a game now.
I'd bring in Lyon as well. Drop Marsh and a bowler, probably Richardson.
Coulter Nile bowled well last night

I couldn't understand why it took so long for him to review. Carey thought he heard a noise and in those circumstances, surely you go upstairs for a look.
Game was in the balance, didn’t want to lose a review only to have a howler an over later. It was so faint, everyone was probably questioning what they heard. Good call in the end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feels like we’re no closer to figuring out our best XI (and batting order).
We started ‘99 poorly, team was unbalanced. Have a similar feel here. The talent is here, just need to work out the best XI over the next game or three.

I’m thinking Warner, Finch, Smith, SMarsh, Maxwell, MMarsh, Carey, Starc, Cummins, Zampa with one of Dorff or NCN getting the final bowler’s spot.

I wonder if NCN, Richardson or Behrendorff may be coincidentally come down with 'stress fracture awareness' the moment Josh Hazelwood lands in the country...think the selectors may be second guessing themselves on this choice right now.
tenor.gif

Game was in the balance, didn’t want to lose a review only to have a howler an over later. It was so faint, everyone was probably questioning what they heard. Good call in the end.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Carey looked pretty certain he'd heard a nick, he appealed loud and strong. That was good enough for me to go upstairs and have a look, given the situation of the match. If it was a tentative appeal, maybe I'd agree.

We started ‘99 poorly, team was unbalanced. Have a similar feel here. The talent is here, just need to work out the best XI over the next game or three.

I’m thinking Warner, Finch, Smith, SMarsh, Maxwell, MMarsh, Carey, Starc, Cummins, Zampa with one of Dorff or NCN getting the final bowler’s spot.
99 was way more talented team tbh. Though we don't have to deal with that 1999 South Africa team which is probably better than the current England & India teams, Pakistan were also very good that year too.

Few too many bad balls from K Richardson at his pace, but some of the movement he got was nice.

Probably a good explainer as to why his FC record is ok without being great.

Was great to get a full days play in without rain.There was a few momentum swings in the match.Made for good watching and thought Pakistan where in the box seat a few times.
The Aussies have now had hard fought wins over Pakistan and the West Indies.

View attachment 691479

Why is Vaughan so obsessed with how many Aussies supporters there are at these matches? The weirdo keeps bringing it up. What is wrong with him?
He really does have a complex against us doesn't he! I think it's great. Adds spice to the Ashes. Watching Beefy and Vaughn sook it up when they lose will be as nice as watching Eddie's red face when the Pies lose.

View attachment 691479

Why is Vaughan so obsessed with how many Aussies supporters there are at these matches? The weirdo keeps bringing it up. What is wrong with him?
He's one of those types that thinks it's amusing to continually 'banter' Australians whenever and wherever possible.

He's a chinless wonder lacking any wit.

On SM-J330G using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back