World Cup Day 16 England v West Indies @ Southampton. Now featuring N/R option in the poll.

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

People keep raving about Russell and I cannot work out why.

Can hit a long ball, don't mind him. He's the type our side lacks actually, we lack that genuine out and out hitter in the last 10 overs.

Can hit a long ball, don't mind him. He's the type our side lacks actually, we lack that genuine out and out hitter in the last 10 overs.
Russel is all about Russel. He doesn’t play for the team. There was still 14 overs remaining when he got out trying to hit another six. He could’ve taken responsibility and kept the score ticking over for another 8-10 overs before attempting that. This is not an isolated case. Ego will be the undoing of the West Indies at this Cup.

Russel is all about Russel. He doesn’t play for the team. There was still 14 overs remaining when he got out trying to hit another six. He could’ve taken responsibility and kept the score ticking over for another 8-10 overs before attempting that. This is not an isolated case. Ego will be the undoing of the West Indies at this Cup.

He can’t run mate.
But he’s busted himself once already this tournament (the Australia game) to try and get them over the line.

Calling him purely about Russell is a bit simplistic

Got it in one. People talk him up as if he were Garfield Sobers.

West Indies were bad last night. Like really really bad. There's a bit of talk around that England only have a plan A but my god West Indies proved themselves to be quite one-dimensional last night especially in their bowling.

In saying that Root was exquisite to watch. Some of his drives when the Windies rarely bowled full were top class.

Awful by the Windies, but Joe Root is having an awesome tournament. Still very early days, but if had to pick now he'd be my Player of the Tournament so far.

Got it in one. People talk him up as if he were Garfield Sobers.
The bloke took a hat-trick and then clobbered a century off about 40 balls with his team 5-30 to win a CPL game last year. Talent wise, he could comfortably be the best all round cricketer on the planet. True enough his attitude hasn’t been particularly brilliant but his body refuses to play ball.

He has a first class bowling average of 20 and two centuries in his only 17 games (one of which was a test) and he hasn’t played at FC level for about 8 years so those figures were accrued as basically a 21-22 year old.

He genuinely could have been anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

West Indies were bad last night. Like really really bad. There's a bit of talk around that England only have a plan A but my god West Indies proved themselves to be quite one-dimensional last night especially in their bowling.

In saying that Root was exquisite to watch. Some of his drives when the Windies rarely bowled full were top class.

They had a LITTLE bit of reason behind it - the reason they beat England in the test series was because they couldn’t handle the windies pace attack, and on the back of how poor Pakistan handled it in their first game I could kind of understand it. And how Australia handled it for that matter. Their management should have understood pretty early on though that the England odi side is vastly better at smashing short fast bowling than those other two sides though.

He can’t run mate.
But he’s busted himself once already this tournament (the Australia game) to try and get them over the line.

Calling him purely about Russell is a bit simplistic
I follow the West Indies. He’s been like this his whole career. I wouldn’t pot a player based on one game.

I follow the West Indies. He’s been like this his whole career. I wouldn’t pot a player based on one game.

With the bat yes he has been - but he’s not just a batsman.
I’ve followed them for 27 years so I’ve been watching him from the start as well, I get it he’s a brainless batsman but he’s also got a lot of heart with the ball and the fact that he’s bowling at all at the moment indicates he wants to perform for the team.

Cleaning up a couple of bunnies doesn’t change the fact he bowled trash with the new ball

Yeah 5-0-25.
Better drop him for that huge production line of great one day bowlers you’ve got who keep forcing your batsmen to chase down 350

He also took the wickets of the West Indies highest scorer and the one remaining player who could have slapped a quick 30-40 and given them a respectable total, facts that seem to have escaped you

Yeah 5-0-25.
Better drop him for that huge production line of great one day bowlers you’ve got who keep forcing your batsmen to chase down 350

He also took the wickets of the West Indies highest scorer and the one remaining player who could have slapped a quick 30-40 and given them a respectable total, facts that seem to have escaped you

Would definitely drop him for Ali when conditions improve, no brainer there. Was out bowled by Woakes and Wood and Plunkett actually got out the oppositions best batsman who had belted Archer around

Would definitely drop him for Ali when conditions improve, no brainer there. Was out bowled by Woakes and Wood and Plunkett actually got out the oppositions best batsman who had belted Archer around

Hahahahahaha well if it happened once it will obviously happen every game.

Best drop the guy who took 4 wickets and has taken 12 at 22 with an economy below 5 for the guy who averages 47 at an economy rate - bowling mostly in the overs where the batsmen aren’t looking to charge - of 5.3

Hahahahahaha well if it happened once it will obviously happen every game.

Best drop the guy who took 4 wickets and has taken 12 at 22 with an economy below 5 for the guy who averages 47 at an economy rate - bowling mostly in the overs where the batsmen aren’t looking to charge - of 5.3

Took 4 wickets now? He’ll have all 10 by the end of the night...

Joe Root outbowled him! He actually got the most dangerous batsman in their lower order out cheaply

With the bat yes he has been - but he’s not just a batsman.
I’ve followed them for 27 years so I’ve been watching him from the start as well, I get it he’s a brainless batsman but he’s also got a lot of heart with the ball and the fact that he’s bowling at all at the moment indicates he wants to perform for the team.
He lets his ego get in the way of his batting and what the team requires from him at the time. Not unlike Gayle.

Back