(Log in to remove this ad.)

BlueandGoldforever

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Well that's the end of Shaun marshes international career
I don’t think so. The guy is a top order batsmen. Blame Warner for wasting 20 balls at the beginning of the innings rather than someone coming in with five overs left and expected to slog from the outset, which is never the way he has batted.

Move Marsh to no.3 and drop Khawaja who hasn’t even scored 100 runs in five innings.

HTPunter

Premiership Player
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don’t think so. The guy is a top order batsmen. Blame Warner for wasting 20 balls at the beginning of the innings rather than someone coming in with five overs left and expected to slog from the outset, which is never the way he has batted.

Move Marsh to no.3 and drop Khawaja who hasn’t even scored 100 runs in five innings.
Khawaja wasn't helped by his role a couple of times either. Considering he was the best in 2019 coming into the cup as an opener, he should be allowed to flourish in his best role like Marsh, no? Why should he be dropped entirely and Marsh massaged into his best position when both have shown a lack of adaptability?

HTPunter

Premiership Player
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Oh well gang, we're 4-1 and look like making the semi's.
Realistically I reckon we're probably the 4th best side.

But according to many on here, we have no batsmen even though we have 2 in the top 5 run scorers.

Only bowler we have is Cummings even though Starc has taken the most wickets.

Plus we have a dud captain and coach.

So all in all, we're not doing too bad:)
Who has been claiming we only have Cummins :drunk: Starc is clearly our most accomplished LO bowler

HODGEYROAD

Brownlow Medallist
May 10, 2007
Bayswater
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
We have some concerns like the No 6 spot and our 5th bowling options etc, but if we play our best cricket we're a chance.

Hamingja

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
We have some concerns like the No 6 spot and our 5th bowling options etc, but if we play our best cricket we're a chance.
Mitch Marsh in form would solve a lot of our problems.

Lower middle order hitter. One of Khawaja and S.Marsh goes out and the other has to bat at #3. Stops them from clogging up the end our innings with the bat.

5th bowling option. Maxwell becomes our 6th option where he is more suited. If they have a seam all rounder they will also go back to picking a spinner. 20 overs from M.Marsh, Maxwell & spinner > 20 overs from Maxwell and 4th quick bowler.

Then we would have to work out the preferred #3, the preferred spinner, the preferred third quick and tell Warner to up the s/r or GTFO. All solve able in the remaining group games.

So hurry up and rule Stoinis out please. Mitch Marsh in is a Hail Mary but our only chance of getting the structure right.

Hamingja

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
NCN still our preferred 3rd quick, or has Richardson gone past him?
Need to see Richardson bowl at the death against England and NZ. If he can do it reasonably against a good side then he gives us more flexibility with the attack and allows us to chase wickets with Starc and Cummins in the middle overs if need be. Forget NCN with the bat, that was a one off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dez!

Hall of Famer
Jul 14, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Just saw on Twitter that people were complaining about Finch being given not out LBW on the review by Sri Lanka.

It shouldn't have even been umpires call, it was outside the line of off stump and the decision was one hundred percent correct.

JackOutback

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Khawaja wasn't helped by his role a couple of times either. Considering he was the best in 2019 coming into the cup as an opener, he should be allowed to flourish in his best role like Marsh, no? Why should he be dropped entirely and Marsh massaged into his best position when both have shown a lack of adaptability?
Certainly Khawaja wasn’t helped but he seems to have only one viable position and it’s taken. Marsh had excelled with an average near 50 at 3 and 4. He only lacks ‘adaptability’ if you try to turn him into a late time set big hitter.

Richard Pryor

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Certainly Khawaja wasn’t helped but he seems to have only one viable position and it’s taken. Marsh had excelled with an average near 50 at 3 and 4. He only lacks ‘adaptability’ if you try to turn him into a late time set big hitter.
Yep, reminds me of when they put Paine in at seven for some reason when he got a run in the ODI side. Trying to shove a square peg into a round hole.

swansfan51

Jun 3, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Exers
Mitch Marsh in form would solve a lot of our problems.

Lower middle order hitter. One of Khawaja and S.Marsh goes out and the other has to bat at #3. Stops them from clogging up the end our innings with the bat.

5th bowling option. Maxwell becomes our 6th option where he is more suited. If they have a seam all rounder they will also go back to picking a spinner. 20 overs from M.Marsh, Maxwell & spinner > 20 overs from Maxwell and 4th quick bowler.

Then we would have to work out the preferred #3, the preferred spinner, the preferred third quick and tell Warner to up the s/r or GTFO. All solve able in the remaining group games.

So hurry up and rule Stoinis out please. Mitch Marsh in is a Hail Mary but our only chance of getting the structure right.
I'd rather have Stoinis, Marsh, and our 3 best bowlers - get through 20 overs between Stoinis, Marsh, and Maxwell. But that isn't an option unfortunately

Crankitup

Club Legend
Sep 23, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco
If we scored as a team at the rate Warner's been scoring, we'd average 230.1 per innings. We'd be 0 - 5 or 1 - 4 at best. What frustrates me most is,he's doing it deliberately. Blocking and leaving, not swinging and missing. Swinging and missing I could handle.
Haven't seen too many leaves except for maybe at the very start of his innings. A few blocks yes, mainly of yorkers, which I wish a few of our bowled out batsmen would've done. I'm sure he'll prove invaluable before the end of this tournament. Come to think of it, his century the other day at about a run a ball was pretty important.

Adelaide Hawk

Hall of Famer
Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
Just saw on Twitter that people were complaining about Finch being given not out LBW on the review by Sri Lanka.

It shouldn't have even been umpires call, it was outside the line of off stump and the decision was one hundred percent correct.
I think there are many people out there who really don't understand the LBW rule ..... including players who should know better.

Adelaide Hawk

Hall of Famer
Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
If we scored as a team at the rate Warner's been scoring, we'd average 230.1 per innings. We'd be 0 - 5 or 1 - 4 at best. What frustrates me most is,he's doing it deliberately. Blocking and leaving, not swinging and missing. Swinging and missing I could handle.
50 over cricket doesn't seem to suit Warner as much as Test cricket and T20. Not sure why that is, but it seems to be the case. Not sure why that would be the case when you consider the powerplays which encourages the batsman to hit over the top. I really have no idea why he plays so many dot balls.

grumbleguts

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 14, 2011
Tully FNQ
AFL Club
Hawthorn
50 over cricket doesn't seem to suit Warner as much as Test cricket and T20. Not sure why that is, but it seems to be the case. Not sure why that would be the case when you consider the powerplays which encourages the batsman to hit over the top. I really have no idea why he plays so many dot balls.
Test cricket, the field is permanently up, so there's plenty of room in the outfield. T20 you with with abandon and play recklessly with impunity. OD cricket should be the best of both worlds, but for warner it seems to be the worst of both worlds.

grumbleguts

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 14, 2011
Tully FNQ
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Haven't seen too many leaves except for maybe at the very start of his innings. A few blocks yes, mainly of yorkers, which I wish a few of our bowled out batsmen would've done. I'm sure he'll prove invaluable before the end of this tournament. Come to think of it, his century the other day at about a run a ball was pretty important.
Except, if we played against anyone who was better than a club cricketer at fielding,, he woudn't have had the century. Was a poor innings.

BlueandGoldforever

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Khawaja has batted at no.3 three times this tournament, once at no.4 and once at no.5 and still hasn’t made a half-century.

Marsh has batted twice. Once at no.5 and once at no.6. Marsh deserves at least one shot coming at no.3 or no.4 where he averages in excess of 40 in both positions.

Crankitup

Club Legend
Sep 23, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco
Except, if we played against anyone who was better than a club cricketer at fielding,, he woudn't have had the century. Was a poor innings.
Bit harsh I think. If you think his innings was poor what does that say about the rest of the Aussie batsmen in that match? In only his 4th international match since his return he was the only batsman bar Finch to pass 50.

Crankitup

Club Legend
Sep 23, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco
Test cricket, the field is permanently up, so there's plenty of room in the outfield. T20 you with with abandon and play recklessly with impunity. OD cricket should be the best of both worlds, but for warner it seems to be the worst of both worlds.
Once again, a bit harsh. If he was in such regard at the long form of the game in comparison to one day matches, why is it that he didn't make his Test debut until 2 years after his ODI debut? For international players who have played at least 50 innings for their country his strike rate in ODI's is the 6th highest ever FFS. He's also 25 places higher than Finch in terms of batting average in ODI's too.

Richard Pryor

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Once again, a bit harsh. If he was in such regard at the long form of the game in comparison to one day matches, why is it that he didn't make his Test debut until 2 years after his ODI debut? For international players who have played at least 50 innings for their country his strike rate in ODI's is the 6th highest ever FFS.
He really only got a run in the ODI side because of his T20 dominance but he was horrendous in ODI's at the start of his career.

In those two years between his ODI and Test debut Warner averaged 21 at a SR of 78 in ODI's. I agree that he was the best ODI opener in the world for a long period, but he has struggled at times in the format and seems to struggling this WC to the detriment of the side.

Top Bottom